Discussion Starter #1
how to change your cam follower inside

first remove your stock engine cover if you have one
next unscrew the black plastic cap on the bleeder valve

depress the bleeder valve to let out the pressure

use a 13mm to unscrew the bleeder valve

undo top connector

undo side connector

undo the metal line with a 17mm wrench but leave the rubber line attached it makes it easier to reinstall this way

remove the 3 bolts holding the fp in they are T27 bolts

pull the fuel pump back exposing the cam follower

use your finger to pull out the cam follower it will slide out nice and easy

finally examine your cam follower as you can see mine needs to be replaced it is in some pretty bad shape, also inspect the cam shaft for damage while you have the cam follower out

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (crew219)

Quote, originally posted by crew219 »
Is that the KMD pump in the picture?
Dave

i am not out to give any company a bad name so all i am saying about the pump is it is not A KMD or an APR pump
make your own assumption about whose pump it is, i am not out to discredit any company

·
Registered
643 Posts
Does anyone have the size of the torx (i think its a torx) bit needed if you dont have the rubber return line? Mine is metal and the only thing im stuck on. Cant really see and the fit is pretty tight so i dont wanna strip the bolt out trying to get it

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You could tell by the wear mark in the follower it was an AT. KMD hasn't been out that long to cause that kind of wear.
Did you have to pull any fuses? Run the car out of fuel first before you did this? I'll be pulling my follower soon to replace it and inspect everything.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (SleepinGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SleepinGLI »
Does anyone have the size of the torx (i think its a torx) bit needed if you dont have the rubber return line? Mine is metal and the only thing im stuck on. Cant really see and the fit is pretty tight so i dont wanna strip the bolt out trying to get it

i don't know because my car didn't have 2 metal lines but i assume it would be a 12point not a standard torx

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (NoRegrets78)

Quote, originally posted by NoRegrets78 »
You could tell by the wear mark in the follower it was an AT. KMD hasn't been out that long to cause that kind of wear.
Did you have to pull any fuses? Run the car out of fuel first before you did this? I'll be pulling my follower soon to replace it and inspect everything.

no pulling any fuses, and don't run the car out of fuel thats what the bleeder valve is for...just follow my steps and it will be fine

·
Registered
9,319 Posts

Wetwagen originally posted that the autotech and KMD were the exact same in dimension and design, but has since then deleted that post and edited subsequent posts on the topic.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...14331
Dave

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

i am not out to give any company a bad name so all i am saying about the pump is it is not A KMD or an APR pump
make your own assumption about whose pump it is, i am not out to discredit any company

It is only quite disturbing that all the wear is localized to the plunger end, unlike other follower wear pics i've seen posted.
How did the cam look? Did it have the same localized wear on the middle of the lobe?
Dave

·
Banned
238 Posts
Re: (SleepinGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SleepinGLI »

Here's some text to go along with JC's pics....
http://www.goapr.com/VW/suppor...n.pdf

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (crew219)

Quote, originally posted by crew219 »

It is only quite disturbing that all the wear is localized to the plunger end, unlike other follower wear pics i've seen posted.
How did the cam look? Did it have the same localized wear on the middle of the lobe?
Dave

their are some very very very light scratchs on the center of the cam lobe, which i am not pleased about, it will be fine but if i had let it go any longer it would have lead to a failure

9,888 Posts

You could tell by the wear mark in the follower it was an AT.

Actually from my research stock and even ones using stock pieces show an identical wear pattern in the center inside so looking at that does not give anything away.
The wear on the outside is actually something I have never once seen yet from any pump.
There are a number of things to look into now. Revs possibly an issue? Did it stick and not turn properly causing wear at one point and one point only? Was it floating for some reason?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: (Audi4u)

Quote, originally posted by Audi4u »
WTF.... sometimes cars make me sick. I'm going to take up gardening for a hobby

x2...I have been waiting months for GIAC to release their Upgraded Fuel Pump software, but not going that route now (for the time being). Out of curiosity...JC, didn't you just replace this less than 3 months ago? The follower in the pic looks pretty new...except for the near hole in the middle.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Re: (twinkers)

Quote, originally posted by twinkers »
Approx how much is a new follower?

The part number listed in the TSB to be used for replacement is 06D-109-309-C. $56.86 plus shipping from Worldimpex.

1 - 20 of 1101 Posts