VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Special thanks to DigitalHippie for the idea!
VW CAM TSB
Very simple...all you need is a few rags and a t-30 torx.
This will also allow you to get a look at the follower. If the base is broken and missing...you'll be able to tell from here.

1. Remove your intake (engine cover or tube style).
2. Pull the vac hose off of the vacuum pump. Make sure you remove the rubber insert should it separate and reinsert it into the hose, makes for easier install later.
3. Undo the fasteners for the hose pictured here...it will be in the way and one of the bolts actually holds the hose holder bracket to the vac pump.

4. Locate the 3 torx bolts holding the vac pump to the head. They really aren't THAT tight, my little wrench was more than enough...here is a few pics of the bolts removed...

The hose holder...

The third is right by the vac hose up top.
5. Once you have the bolts removed you can back the pump out of the head. Make sure to put a rag or something under it as it will leak a little oil. It will be a little stubborn at first, but I was able to walk it out without too much trouble.

6. Take a peek inside. As seen here, I have the two piece B cam.

Some more pics of where the follower meets it...

Reinstall in reverse order.

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 6:31 PM 3-25-2008

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 6:36 PM 3-25-2008

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 9:02 PM 3-25-2008

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 11:22 PM 3-25-2008

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 8:13 AM 3-26-2008

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 7:25 PM 4-25-2008

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Re: How to check which cam revision you have...DIY (NoRegrets78)

Excellent. Thank you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're very welcome. I was thinking of doing this for a while since I was told you can check this way, but was kinda nervous. It really is a joke.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: How to check which cam revision you have...DIY (NoRegrets78)

Hah, you beat me by a little bit! I have pics and everything after inspecting mine, lol.
I have a B and mine falls into the affected engine range. The B cam is considered a GOOD CAM!
Noregrets has some great pics of the two piece cam end! Here is an A version 1 piece cam for comparision:

I just removed the torx bits from the cover plate on mine. Put some rags down or you'll leak about 1/16th of a quart of oil out all over the tranny.

Then pulled out the vacuum pump piece.

From above the battery, you can see the two piece cam:

Or if you want to use an inspection mirror:

Cars experiencing issues with a worn A version cam may set a code similar to:
008851 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction
P2293 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
The German version of the TSB (well before any USA TSB) indicated engines up to serial number 125350.
My engine serial is on a sticker on the timing cover and says BPY 100XXX.
Just having a serial in the range, as I have demonstrated, does not necessarily indicate a bad A version cam.
Here is a comparison on how to tell which cam you have:

Modified by syntrix at 8:18 PM 3-25-2008

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: How to check which cam revision you have...DIY (goin2fast)

Quote, originally posted by goin2fast »
Very nice. SO which cam is good and which is bad??

I just added all my pics and a writeup to the post above http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Good to have all this info in once place.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well no one said anything about just removing the cover!!! If I would have known it was even simpler!!! LOL
My way allows you to get a sneak peak at the follower too...if the base is gone, you'll see it!

Modified by NoRegrets78 at 8:59 PM 3-25-2008

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (rbradleymedmd)

For syntrix's method...maybe 2 minutes. For mine, maybe 5. Mine requires a tad more dexterity for the bolt not easily seen, but you can see more by removing the entire pump.
If you just want a look at the cam and not the follower...just remove the cover as syntrix posted. Very simple. Torque specs im not sure of...I tightened it about as much as it was when I took it off. It's a torx...doesn't need to be OMFG tight.

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: (rbradleymedmd)

How to tell:

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Just for my curiosity...let's say someone opens this up and finds they have the "A" version cam. What then? Drive the PISS out of the car and hope the CEL for fuel cut comes on, or take it to the dealer and explain (with pics) that eventually the cam lobe is going to fail?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Re: (B3sat16v)

Great stuff Noregrets and Syntrix! I will inspect mine soon even though I believe I have the B cam.

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: (jeff2.0t)

Quote, originally posted by jeff2.0t »
If you check this, post your vin range (+-5000) and production date (write on your door pannel)

That has nothing to do with if you have an A or B cam.
If you have an A, the dealer won't do anything unless you set codes under the USA TSB. I'm sure there's a link to it or a description of it in the FAQ?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts