VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Dubbers,

Kinda new here to the Vortex. Just wanted to give you guys an honest review of the LED's sold by deAutoKey and it's corresponding How-To.

Moderators: By all means, move this (or sticky) to its appropriate location... thanks

You can purchase the same LEDs from the link provided below:

Interior LED Set:
http://deautokey.com/product/9pc-complete-cc-interior-led-kit-error-free-fits-09-current-volkswagen-cc

Exterior LED Set:
http://deautokey.com/product/full-line-of-cc-exterior-leds-turn-signals-reverse-brake-error-free-plug-and-play-bright

First off, let me just say, these bulbs are BRIGHT! They are a nice rich red LED that you see on newer high end cars nowadays. They have had these available for quite a while now and I have been eyeing them since I got the car about a month and a half ago. I am glad I waited though - they included a RED LED turn signal/hazard light bulb option. I love the way the red looks as opposed to the traditional amber - however the amber LED is also a nice upgrade. deAutoKey made it super easy by labeling each and every LED bulb in their own individual bag (see below). Install was quite easy; hopefully it will be easier with this How-To! Let's get started:

Tools needed for deAutoKey cc Rear LED Tail Light Install
- Flathead screwdriver
- 30 minutes of time
- An extra set of hands (or feet) to step on the brake while you check if all bulbs are working properly

I am going to break up this How-To into 2 parts - Inner Tail Light LEDs and Outside Tail Light LEDs

===========================
INNER LED TAIL LIGHT BULB INSTALL
===========================

NOTE::: When removing the plastic screw covers, take note of which clip goes on which of the 3 bolts. BE SURE TO HOLD THE PLASTIC SCREW CLIP WITH ONE HAND WHILE YOU UNSCREW IT WITH THE OTHER. IF NOT - YOUR TRUNK WILL EAT IT. :popcorn:

1. Remove the tail light housing.

To remove the housing, use the flathead screwdriver to unscrew the (3) plastic screw covers.

2. Remove the housing (don't pull too hard - the wire harness is still attached). Take out the bulb wire harness from the socket by pulling back on the blue lever.

3. You can now completely remove the tail light assembly housing.

4. Place the housing in your trunk on the carpet face down and remove the beige bulb plate by pressing the clip with one finger and pulling back with your other hand.

(I had my bulbs installed already to make this HOW-TO a bit easier to make - yes, I did the install process twice for you guys :wave: )

5. Remove all of the halogen bulbs and set aside... take your labeled bags and use one from each bag (1x Reverse, 1x Large "Brake", and 1x Small "Brake")
NOTE: For the removal/installation of the reverse light, you will need to push the bulb in and twist (I don't remember if it was to the left or right - just be careful with it). You can look at the metal guides on the socket and the "Frankenstein" posts on the bulb to see which way it goes in.

6. REPEAT STEPS 1-5 FOR THE OTHER SIDE.

BEFORE ASSEMBLING EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER: TEST YOUR BULBS

NOTE: YOUR BULBS WILL NOT TURN ON IF YOUR TRUNK IS OPEN - THE TRUNK WILL NEED TO BE CLOSED. SO NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO MAKE SURE YOUR KEYS ARE OUT OF THE TRUNK!!! BE CAREFUL WITH THE TRUNK LINER AND SET ASIDE YOUR BEIGE BULB PLATE WITH BULBS INSERTED BEFORE YOU CLOSE THE TRUNK. Push the liner into the trunk carefully as you close the trunk. Once closed, locate each wiring harnesses for the inner tail lights (you should be able to see them from the outside of the car with the inner tail lights removed).

Plug in both left and right harnesses to their respectable bulb plates with LEDs installed. I recommend setting the plugged in plates on the inside of the trunk where your tail light would go.

Now this is where your colleague comes in - have them sit in the drivers seat and turn the car on to ACCESSORY. They will need to turn on the lights and put the car in reverse (still in ACCESSORY mode) to make sure all the lights are working properly. If they do not work properly, see below.

IF THE BULB IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY:
Symptom: The LED bulb flickers
Solution: Bend the metal contacts closer together to form a tighter fit for the bulbs.

Symptom: The LED does not light up at all
Solution: Reinstall the bulb the opposite way (just take it out and turn it around and install)

If your bulbs are still not working after troubleshooting, contact deAutoKey about further troubleshooting techniques (I had no issues with DOA items, neither should you).

If your bulbs are working: move on to the next step

7. Remove the harness for both left and right. Set your bulb plates aside and open the trunk carefully (your trunk liner is most likely shoved into the trunk with attached lever wire).

8. Install the bulb plate back onto the corresponding tail light housing in the proper orientation.

9. Insert the harness into the plate bulb socket with housing attached from trunk above. Be sure to line up rubber weather seal properly. Insert the tail light assembly into the trunk and press firmly.

[imghttp://s21.postimg.org/q61f28qhj/IMG_2151.jpg[/img]

12. Retrieve the plastic screw clips and screw back in place with flathead screwdriver. There is a guide for the clip, you will see it once you have each clip in the right direction. (Note: the white(ish) screw clip will take a bit of twisting and turning to get it in to the appropriate orientation for the guide to line up)

13. REPEAT STEPS 7-9 FOR THE OTHER SIDE.

=================================
END OF INNER LED TAIL LIGHT BULB INSTALL
=================================

Outer LED Tail Light Bulb Install Coming Soon...

Comparison Photos:

Left: LED ------------- Right: Halogen

Close Up of Passenger LEDs:

Close Up of Passenger Halogen:

Full Comparison of LED Tails/License Plate LEDs (left) vs. Halogens (right)

Reverse LED vs Halogen

Turn Signal/Hazard LED vs Halogen

Just for representational purposes, the LED's on the left look a different shape than the right because the taillight is partially painted, see below (Notice that the LED also get's rid of the amber/orange look in the turn signal/hazard light housing):

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Great write up. But you dont need to take off trunk liner. There are access insert that just pop out just like the one inside the trunk. After all that's what they for :)

Sent from Tapatalk
:thumbup: Great point, if the OP can try to edit this, we don't want to make more work for our customers .

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
My pleasure! You have no idea how time consuming it was to get the lights on both cars to sync up with the hazards LOL :banghead: Well worth it though so I can show the crew what the true difference is.
:thumbup: Thank you, we are excited to see how the headlight LED turn out also.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's be nice to post these comparisons with the LEDs during the day as well. I think you'll find the LEDs are not brighter than the bulbs with sunlight present :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's be nice to post these comparisons with the LEDs during the day as well. I think you'll find the LEDs are not brighter than the bulbs with sunlight present :)
I will get daytime photo comparisons for you in a few days. Right now I'm prepping for sowo.

But here is a pic of a somewhat "daytime" photo...

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Likewise! :wave:

All the LEDs still running great and I have had a LOT of compliments on these LEDs! :thumbup:
:thumbup: Thanks for the feedback. During testing here we were stopped and asked by a CC owner why they looked brighter than his stock! If you own a CC or any VW, you will notice the brighter more vivid light immediately.

We will try to get some of those up. We can see the brightness during the day, we hope it comes through on the photos. :thumbup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ordered some red LED rear turn signal bulbs and a black resin coated rear badge vinyl insert. Going to give my rear end a makeover! Can't wait to get rid of the egg yoke in the tail lights and the old looking matte black logo background.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.