VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a real quick question. How easy is it to ditch the suitcase muffler? Mine is looking a little nasty and i'd like to lose a little weight. Are they welded to the rest of the pipe or clamped? I don't have the room or tools anymore to do major work, so I'm kinda hoping its clamped. If its not too much trouble I could take it out myself, but I keep hearing about restrictions for working on cars in this damn city. (Coral Springs, FL)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: How to ditch the suitcase? (Clean97GTi)

its clamped, although, you will need to get a pipe custom made to replace it.
edit: BTW, if you do get a custom pipe made, don't get it i the shape of a sharp L otherwise it will have resonance at many different engine speeds. This will result in you being deafened and wanting to smash your car to pieces. Instead, get the muffler shop to make it as close to a smooth curve everywhere as possible.

[Modified by gti_8v, 2:05 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to ditch the suitcase? (gti_8v)

They clamped it from the factory? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif It's OK, since its easy to take off, but I think they should've welded it. Oh well, thanks for the quick answer

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: How to ditch the suitcase? (Clean97GTi)

Clamping is better than welding, it doesnt rust. Thats why they do it, and it can be undone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: How to ditch the suitcase? (gti_8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]Clamping is better than welding, it doesnt rust. Thats why they do it, and it can be undone.[HR][/HR]​
You mean welds are actually the undiscovered unbreakable bond??? lol I don't think a weld is gonna get in the way of oxy-act!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts