VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

If people are concerned about opening a PDF file, I have included the first page of the Reaction PDF at the bottom

I wanted to share with you an engine idea I have been sitting on for 16 years, which I wanted to use in a personal Project which never materialized. Rather than let it go to waste, I started sharing it with the Aftermarket Industry, but apart from ShaneT, they all took the idea and run away without even a Thank You. I am posting it here, so that the origin of the idea will be known to all.

I have attached a PDF which explains the principle, and for the Aftermarket, this idea will be sold like a Nitrous Oxide Kit, with a Nitrogen Bottle. This can benefit Direct Injection NA engines as well. (AUDI R8, GALLARDO, etc)

If you find it interesting, I will follow up with a solution to the Frost problem, available in the USA

I have also attached a PDF on my first Project

Have fun with it.

John

FIRST PAGE of PDF

I expected more people to look into this matter. If opening a PDF file is a concern to you, here is the first page of the Reaction PDF

The conventional, Old School thinking about Forced Induction engines, is that after the Turbo or Supercharger has compressed the intake air, then you need to cool it down, with an Intercooler. This usually is in the form of an Air to Air Intercooler, or a Water to Air Intercooler. In Racing applications, cars can have a Water to Air Intercooler, where ice is used in the water tank to super cool the water, for best performance. This water heats up after a run, and more ice has to be added for a further run.

In any case, the actual Mass of air which can be supplied to the engine, is the mass which was originally drawn by the Turbo compressor inlet, based on the environmental conditions which affect Air Density. (Air Temperature, Moisture, Atmospheric Pressure). There is no escaping this fact.

Or maybe THERE IS.
If INSTEAD of cooling the compressed air AFTER the turbo, we were to SUPERCOOL the COMPRESSOR INLET AIR, we could DOUBLE the AIR MASS going into the Turbo. By using a control system to adjust the level of cooling in real time, by monitoring Engine Intake Air Temperature, we could eliminate the need for an Intercooler, and the necessary plumbing, weight and complication. If the automotive Reaction Pre-cooler can cool the Compressor Inlet Air temperature down to -100º degrees Celsius, then we could almost DOUBLE the power output of an engine. If an engine is fitted with a turbocharger rated at 200 horsepower, and the Reaction Pre-cooler can lower the temperature of compressor intake air down to -100ºC, then that Turbo will deliver enough air for almost 400 HP.

If Turbo Precooling kits will be developed, people could double their engine power for acceleration runs, like they would with a Nitrous kit. Air has Double the Density at -100 Degrees Celcius

Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi,

I should probably had clarified in the title that this idea is mainly for Dragracing and Street Racing use, where Wide Open Throttle operation is limited.

The Reaction PDF, explains how this idea would work, if it was commercialized at the OEM Level. For Dragracing,and Street Racing, the system would be as simple as fitting a Nitrous kit. All you need to Supercool the Intake Airflow, is a Nitrogen Bottle (Nitrogen is very cheap), plumbing, a Nitrous Solenoid, and the Custom Supercooler Element. That is all the hardware. Then you need to Control it.

There are 2 applications: Turbo and N/A. I will start with Turbo First.

If an engine is not running a MAF before the Turbo, then it is super simple. You create a Filter Supercooling adapter, like a K&N bolt on filter, and fit it at the Compressor Inlet. If the Supercooling Element, will reduce the Compressor Inlet Temperature to -150 Degrees Celcius, the following will happen. Pay attention to Turbo No. 6

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

That Turbo makes almost 380 HP, with a Compressor outlet temp of 283F, or about 140 Degrees Celcius. So if you install a Supercooler BEFORE the Turbo, and cool the Compressor Inlet Temperature to -150 Degrees Celcius, then the Compressor Outlet Temperature will be -10 Degrees Celcius, but the Air Mass will be 2.5 times greater and that will be good for 975HP. The car intercooler, will then actually RAISE the -10 Degrees IAT to some degree, based on the available Ambient Temperature Delta.

There are Golf R's with 500 HP turbo's, and if you were to "Supercool" them, they could make 1250HP, with the same Turbo. Naturally, the engine will have to be built to handle that power, and the fueling system will have to be suitably upgraded, Transmission, etc, but when EVERYTHING is taken care off, then people will drive all day with 500 HP, and run 1250 HP Quarter Miles at the weekend, or on the Street. (I never said that..;))

I approached the Tuners first, because this idea will obviously need Research, Development and Tuning. If a basic Supercooling Controller will be developed, to control Nitrogen flow to the Supercooler based on Rpm and IAT, then you could Dial In the Supercooling Effect, to match your engine combination. A -40 Degrees Celcius setting acros the rev range, will be simple to use for most cars out there, and will give a 40% boost in power. Speed costs money, so the more money someone can invest on the engine and transmission, the lower Supercooling temperatures he could use. Cars with Aftermarket ECU's, will be able to control the Supercooler, through their Nitrous Strategies

For N/A Di V10 ENGINES

The idea will work for Naturally Aspirated Direct Injection engines as well, but there are some limitations. Since we do not have a "Superheater" (Turbo) to raise the temperature back to combustible levels, then the supply of Supercooled Airflow will have to be carefully metered, to ensure proper Fuel Distribution in the Cylinder, and successful combustion. Direct Injection engines spray at 310 Crank Degrees (50o BTDC), so most compression (heating) has already happened I expect that high revving V10 engines will only be able to use the full -150 Degree Airflow, near the Redline. This is why I said that TUNER R&D and Dyno Tuning will be necessary, in order to find what works best.

The other reason for Tuner involvement, is that a custom Supercooler will have to be developed to be installed INSIDE the Intake Manifold, in order to protect MAF Sensors and Throttlebodies from the freezing temperatures. Bigger Throttlebodies will be necessary to supply the extra airflow through Atmospheric Pressure (1 Bar) , but the MAF sensor will be able to measure the extra airflow, and adjust the fueling. IAT sensors can read down to -40 Degrees Celcius, so Timing adjustments can be programmed, and below that, a safe Timing Curve can be determined on the Dyno for Supercooled operation. This way, you can get Twin Turbo performance, from an N/A engine.

https://bjprace.se/produktfiler/giv-iat6datablad.pdf

For Aftermarket ECU cars, there are also Cryogenic Temperature Sensors, which can accurately monitor Supercooler temperatures for maximum Control.

Cryogenic temperature sensor

The Intake Manifold Supercooler, will have to be designed in such a way, as to provide the LEAST restriction for ordinary, Non Supercooled performance. I have said previously that WOT operation of Street cars is LESS than 1% of engine life, So, 99% of the time, the presence of the Supercooler will be invisible.

Stop and think, what this idea will do for the 3000HP Gallardo's and R8's

Exciting times ahead....

Like I said, have fun with it, and let me know of any Dyno results

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This question has two parts: Narurally Aspirated and Turbo.

In Turbo operation, there is no problem whatsoever, as the engine necer sees the very low temperatures. The Turbo has already acted as a Reheater, and raised the IAT back to resonable levels. Turbos are rated on Mass Airflow, in lb/min. So, if you take a Turbo rated at 300lb/mn, this corresponds to about 300HP. If the Compressor Outlet temperature will be 150 Degrees Celsius, you will need to cool that superheated charge to make any power, and the MAXIMUM power you will get, is 300 HP, what the Turbo is rated at. If instead of Intercooling (Aftercooling) the Inlet Charge, to get the full 300 HP the Turbo is capable of, we were to PRECOOL the Air going into the Turbo, down to -150 Degrees Celsius, the there will be NO NEED for Intercooling (Aftercooling), because the Turbo will have raised the temperature back ro 0 Degrees Celsius, but the Mass Airflow will now be good enough for 750HP.

If we drive the Turbo out of its efficiency range, then it will raise the IAT even more, but like I said, the "Mass" of the air will be 2.5 times greater, or a lower percenatge of that, depending on the actual temperature the Supercooler will be set at on the Controller. IAT Sensors, can read down to -40 Degrees Celicius, so engines can operate at these levels, which most people will run, for short periods. Turbo Compressor Housings and Wheels do not touch, so any dimentional changes will not have any effect, and will be similar. If the Compressor Housing will shrink, so will the Compressor wheel.

As far as Naturally Aspirated engines go, I have a single question:

How long have engines been running with Nitrous Oxide?

Since World War II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide_engine

Here are two examples of cooling the charge AFTER it has been compressed and heated up by a Turbo, so its Air Mass is already lower. If you spray just a 100 Shot of Nitrous, you get 200HP gain from the extra cooling of already heated up, less dense air.

Just Cool It: Nitrous Express' N-Tercooler Ring System

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1812-intercooling-ls-engine-nitrous-horsepower/

If you double the power of an engine, it will experience increased thermal loads, so the Supercool Airflow will reduce Combustion Chamber Temperatures. I have clearly said, that this idea needs involvement from Tuners, as it is beyond the scope of Privateers. A privateer, could rig up a basic system with a fixed flow controlled by a Jet, but progressive, controlled systems need R&D.

The Nitrous Express N-tercooler, is very ineffixient, as it only has a modest temperature drop, and it is fitted on the wrong side of the Turbo. The Reaction type Precooler, with its small diameter tubes, will pose little flow restriction, and cool the Inlet Charge down to very low temperatures.

If NX Express, or Nitrous Oxide Systems, realized this basic fact, they would develop kits for sale in short order. To do that, they will need to solve the problem of Supercooler Frosting, which no one has asked me about yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.