VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I 've just got my brand-new Passat 1.8T Tiptr.

Can you tell me the best way to drive the first miles on the car, to make the best out of the engine? The dealer said it would make no difference and I just have to wait until the engine is at 90 degr. Celsius and then I could go flat out.

Is this the right way or is there a better one?
(please excuse me for my english, I'm Dutch
)

· Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: How to drive the first miles (Green-Golf)

don't listen to your dealer.
Drive very gently for the first 1000mi. Don't floor it. Don't go on long hwy drives without varying your speed regularly.
...but it's all in your drivers manual

· Registered
19 Posts
Re: How to drive the first miles (flanders)

That dealer shouldn't have told you not to worry. The engine break in period is VERY important (when VW calls you, tell them what your dealer said -- dealerships take those survey's very seriously...)

· Registered
167 Posts
Re: How to drive the first miles (gervanlierop)

quote:[HR][/HR]

Is this the right way or is there a better one?[HR][/HR]​
I drove my car fo rhte first 500 miles under 3000 RPMs. then I stayed under 4000 RPMs for the next 500 (when I reached 1000 total). At no point di I ever let the RPMs stay at the same point for more than 1 minute, this is important so you don't glaze the pistons and also allows rod bearings to seat properly. It's a hassle at first, but definatley worth it.

· Registered
306 Posts
Re: drive it like you stole it (IDRN)

Just drive gently during the first 1,000 miles.
As the first miles issue.... it doesn't matter, the first cup of miles were never driven by the owner anyways..... and the dealer test drive cars like crazy..... you see the point..

· Registered
3,534 Posts
Re: drive it like you stole it (AxeAngel)

I drove "normally" for the first 1000 miles (seldom used WOT, shifted at 3-4K), and I stopped at 120 while playing with a Porsche on an empty highway during my first 1000. I figured I'd keep it at 75% of the speedo and all that...

· Registered
1,874 Posts
Re: drive it like you stole it (dbrowne1)

The dealer says to keep it low speed and relatively low RPM's.
But when I took a 2002 GTI for a test drive, he told me to red line it in every gear so I could get a feel for the car. Yes, that would probably sell the car because I can really notice the power, but he's killing his demo car! (Which in the end someone will buy anyway).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.