VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2017 VW Passat SEL Premium
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To clear initial confusion, here are defining terms:
  • EPB = Electric, Electronic, or Electro-mechanical Parking Brakes.
  • ABS = Anti-lock Braking System
  • Autohold = While in [D]rive, the ABS will hold the vehicle stopped without your foot on the brake; press the accelerator and ABS will release automatically.
Here is an endeavor that stems back a few years when I first learned about FtS (Follow-to-Stop) and S&G (Stop & Go) which is available on certain MQB platform vehicles. With our 7N0 radar based ACC system there's more work to be done for this to be realized, so I won't go into everything just to keep this on-topic. The biggest step towards that goal is EPB.

To start, you'll need wiring. I used about 40' of 14 AWG OFC paired speaker wire for power, ground, and EPB motor feeds, 10' of 23 AWG CAT6 patch cable (because it's cheap) for signaling, 8' of 22 AWG wire for ABS Autohold button, and 3 rolls of friction tape to protect them. Gathering information and bench-testing various modules was countless hours, and about 30 hours for install because I performed in stages due to vehicle being daily-driver. Sometimes help was available. 馃槈 The best location for installing EPB module was under the driver's seat, which gave a central location to pull wires to. Be sure to leave plenty of slack for seat movement if you do the same. The picture gallery below has highlights of the installation, and the hardware list for specific parts used. Additionally, VCDS, obdeleven, or VCP is required for code changes:
  • 03-Brakes, enable byte 16, bit 1. 鈼 Makes ABS aware of Autohold button and EPB module.
  • 13-ACC, enable byte 02, bit 0. 鈼 Makes ACC radar use EPB for emergency braking (Front Assist) situation.
  • 53-EPB, 0F3C55, 鈼 Add this module to the Gateway installation list.
My vehicle is 2017 Passat SEL Premium, so when performing rear brake service just need to remember to use 2017 CC, Tiguan, or 2015 Audi Q3 pads/rotors.
(Side note, because our factory rear brakes are 272mm diameter this upgrade will yield you 10mm.)

馃憠 Hardware List
馃憠 Wiring diagrams

View album 1363
馃憠 YouTube playlist of EPB in action.

Much thanks goes out to Mike (nycdub2)...and several others around the world!

Registered
I鈥檓 lost... what did you do? Add stop and go feature for ACC?
The NAR NMS was never offered with EPB and his car now has been retrofitted with EPB which in turn opens doors for other retrofits and upgrades.

Registered
EPB(Electronic Parking Brake)

Also, EPB with 310mm rears were offered on:
Passat B6/Euro B7/CC only with 3.6 4motion trims and R36 & MK7/7.5 Golf R(if equipped with EPB).

Registered
2017 VW Passat SEL Premium
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Future benefit is ACC with FtS and S&G; immediate benefit is automatic activation and Autohold.
But what is the benefit of having a EPB over a mechanical one?
Future benefit is ACC with FtS and S&G; immediate benefit is automatic activation and Autohold.

Registered
To clear initial confusion, here are defining terms:
  • EPB = Electric, Electronic, or Electro-mechanical Parking Brakes.
  • ABS = Anti-lock Braking System
  • Autohold = While in [D]rive, the ABS will hold the vehicle stopped without your foot on the brake; press the accelerator and ABS will release automatically.
Here is an endeavor that stems back a few years when I first learned about FtS (Follow-to-Stop) and S&G (Stop & Go) which is available on certain MQB platform vehicles. With our 7N0 radar based ACC system there's more work to be done for this to be realized, so I won't go into everything just to keep this on-topic. The biggest step towards that goal is EPB.

To start, you'll need wiring. I used about 40' of 14 AWG OFC paired speaker wire for power, ground, and EPB motor feeds, 10' of 23 AWG CAT6 patch cable (because it's cheap) for signaling, 8' of 22 AWG wire for ABS Autohold button, and 3 rolls of friction tape to protect them. Gathering information and bench-testing various modules was countless hours, and about 30 hours for install because I performed in stages due to vehicle being daily-driver. Sometimes help was available. 馃槈 The best location for installing EPB module was under the driver's seat, which gave a central location to pull wires to. Be sure to leave plenty of slack for seat movement if you do the same. The picture gallery below has highlights of the installation, and the hardware list for specific parts used. Additionally, VCDS, obdeleven, or VCP is required for code changes:
  • 03-Brakes, enable byte 16, bit 1. 鈼 Makes ABS aware of Autohold button and EPB module.
  • 13-ACC, enable byte 02, bit 1. 鈼 Makes ACC radar use EPB for emergency braking (Front Assist) situation.
  • 53-EPB, 0F3C55, 鈼 Add this module to the Gateway installation list.
My vehicle is 2017 Passat SEL Premium, so when performing rear brake service just need to remember to use 2017 CC, Tiguan, or 2015 Audi Q3 pads/rotors.
(Side note, because our factory rear brakes are 272mm diameter this upgrade will yield you 10mm.)

馃憠 Hardware List
馃憠 Wiring diagrams

View album 1363
馃憠 YouTube playlist of EPB in action.

Much thanks goes out to Mike (nycdub2)...and several others around the world!
Hello! Do you know where can i find the original module 56D907801A?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.