VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started to misfire and run only on 3 pistons every time it was wet outside. I was able to determine it was the coil pack after me and my friend sprayed water at it and recreated the problem.
Since the dealer and VW of America decided that my coil pack is not covered under any of my warranties I decided to fix it my self. The dealer wanted $580 to fix it.
I didn’t think it was going to be this simple. Here is what I did and I’m not a mechanic (I’m an electrical engineer not a mechanical).
1. I removed the battery and part of the box thing around it.
2. Removed the air box.
3. Removed the little corner piece on the engine cover.
4. Removed the 4 bolts on the coil pack.
5. I carefully unhooked the cable going to the coil pack and pulled the pack out. I then disconnected the connector.
Here is what I found:

Mini crack along the bottom of the coil pack which is probably the reason water gets in.

Close up of the crack.

Crack with a layer of epoxy

I then put the whole thing back. The most annoying thing was the damn clip ring on the air box which took the longest to get back in place.

That’s it! Saved $580
-Stefan
http://www.ledcar.com/

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (sschueller)

You took the long way to remove it. Just the 4 bolts securing the coilpack. Push the upper rad hose out of the way and remove the coilpack, disconnect the plug.
5 min. job tops.
I too have that same crack. Did you look at the coil towers and notice any little whit dot? A single white dot on a tower indicates the spark is burning through the tower. Also hair line cracks on the towers is another problem. These type of damages require a new coilpack.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

For those who want to do this repair, I highly recommend that you use JBWeld epoxy instead of a normal clear epoxy. Most clear epoxies are only good up to 200°F, while JBWeld is good up to 600°F (JBQuik is good up to 400°F). Since the coilpack gets pretty hot while the engine is running, using JBWeld will help prevent the "patch" from cracking itself and re-exposing the original cracks in the coilpack.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (VgRt6)

surprise looks who shows up, me
so if the coil is cracked, its fixable? how do i know if the coil MUST be replaced, and wheres a good place to buy one..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
For those who want to do this repair, I highly recommend that you use JBWeld epoxy instead of a normal clear epoxy. Most clear epoxies are only good up to 200°F, while JBWeld is good up to 600°F (JBQuik is good up to 400°F). Since the coilpack gets pretty hot while the engine is running, using JBWeld will help prevent the "patch" from cracking itself and re-exposing the original cracks in the coilpack.

i replaced my coilpack with a new one, but i still have the old. i bought some JBWeld from autozone(300*F). they didn't have anything higher than that. where can i get one that's good for 600 degrees F? i haven't done any repairs yet, but i'm going to keep my old coilpack as a backup.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (rcb120370)

Quote, originally posted by rcb120370 »

i replaced my coilpack with a new one, but i still have the old. i bought some JBWeld from autozone(300*F). they didn't have anything higher than that. where can i get one that's good for 600 degrees F? i haven't done any repairs yet, but i'm going to keep my old coilpack as a backup.

JBWeld is good up to 600°F. JBQuik is only good up to 300°F or 400°F (i'm confused now
). Are you sure you're not thinking of °C instead of °F. Unless, the JBWeld formula has changed in the last 6 months (I doubt it), then it's good up to 600°F. It says it right on the package in my hand.
(FYI, if you want to put a degree symbol in your text (like this °), hold down the ALT key, type 248 on the numeric keypad (num lock on) and then release the ALT key.)

Modified by VgRt6 at 4:39 PM 1-21-2004

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (DasoGTI)

I wonder why it says "J-B WELD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE IS 600 DEGREES F" on the back of my package?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just spray mine with silicone when it starts to short out. Just remember to blow out the fire the first time you start it up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
(FYI, if you want to put a degree symbol in your text (like this °), hold down the ALT key, type 248 on the numeric keypad (num lock on) and then release the ALT key.)Modified by VgRt6 at 4:39 PM 1-21-2004

hahaha..... i was wondering how you did that. i thaught u had a special keyboard or something.
thanks a million

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (DasoGTI)

Quote, originally posted by DasoGTI »
According to http://www.jbweld.net, the official web site, J-B Weld is good up to 500F, and J-B Quik is good up to 300F

i have the orange package. that one says good for up to 300°F.
hey Gary, i did it.....°°°
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (rcb120370)

Nice.°
°
Now how about these ...
ΓπΣσµτΦΘΩδ∞φε∩≡±≥≤÷≈°∙·√ⁿ²

·
Registered
7,091 Posts

lol i've had this part out a few times too. now i only leave 2 bolts on, so its easier to remove.
here is the best way to fix it:
Coat the entire thing with high temp RTV. I coated the entire plastic area, as well as the outside of the terminals. plugged the wires on their respective terminal and then slapped some more on top to seal it all.
Sure, you cant remove your wires from the coil pack without breaking the seal, but you can now spray the power washer directly on the coil and no sparks

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (Maxt2)

JB weld is the world's best invention since the wheel. In fact, I bet he used JB weld to hold his wheel TOGETHER!

·
Registered
74 Posts

Another satisfied JB Weld customer.
I applied the epoxy to several cracks in coilpack several months ago and no problems to date.
Gerardo

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Re: How to fix your coil pack (KINGDUBSTER)

Quote, originally posted by KINGDUBSTER »
i have a coil pack for a vr6 for sale fit 94-2002

will not fit because different plug on some years

1 - 20 of 26 Posts