VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those poor sods like me with the crappy glass mount rear window radio antenna, and who do not have the front glass mount antenna fitted, here is the fix for your crappy radio reception (a front mount antenna kit).
I have been promising this info for a while, so here is the info. Bosch have sent me the kit free of charge, so I am OK for the parts. Now to get VW to install the bloody thing (the fun part). It is not even Bosch's stuff up and they have given me the parts, so I will be mega pissed if VW refuses to install it.
Here is the link to the part number information:
http://www.votex-shop.de/is-bi...false

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to Fix your Crapola Reception caused by VW Incompetence (sweatyworker)

It is more involved than that. You have to stick on the round black thing on the window and then wire to ground and power and back to the radio as well. This is the amplifier.
There are then two thin wires that are stuck to the windscreen via removable backing tape. These are run at 90 degrees to each other and terminate in the black box. Once this is done you cap the black box off.
The radio then goes into a dual antenna mode via a directional antenna circuit. There is a second socket at the back of the radio that is designed to accept the antenna.
I have the optional Bremen MP74 Radio, but the standard radio is more or less the same, except a socket adapter is required (this would be in the kit somewhere).
You get everything in the kit, even the window cleaning materials, a special plastic tool, stickers, clips, absolutely everything that is required to do the install.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: How to Fix your Crapola Reception caused by VW Incompetence (IML337)

I am not asking the dealer for anything. There is a problem, and there is also a solution. I have simply made a complaint re radio reception and a proposed solution.
It is entirely up to them (the Manufacturer - not the dealer) how they are going to fix it. My suggestion, however, is the easiest (way easier than drilling a hole through the roof).
Bosch sent me the antenna with my stereo purchase after I made mention re the reception issue. I had to buy my stereo direct as I first ordered it from Denlow VW and then they refused to deliver it as it was not for sale in Australia - only approved for Germany. Rather than arguing with VW, I simply purchased it from their supplier (Bosch).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: How to Fix your Crapola Reception caused by VW Incompetence (ABrz...)

Can I ask - what symtoms does your radio have that indicates poor reception.
I have a problem with mine (05 2.0 FSI Golf) in that the reception goes from stereo to mono after 20-30 seconds. If you hit the preset button it goes back to stereo - noticable difference - and then slowly mono.
Dealer never heard of this before and replaced the head unit - to no avail.
Is this what your radio does?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.