VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,285 Posts
At that point, put the nut on and tighten it down to get it all the way home. When it's drawn in all the way, it will be obvious that the nut is no longer turning unless excessive torque is applied.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Is it the correct axle for your car? Same you that was installed previously, but it was removed for something else?

It really should slide all the way through on its own without any help. Spines clean? Can you insert the axle from the outside to test the splines?

It doesn't take much to be a little off and the axle won't go in all the way.

Steve

·
Registered
389 Posts
You shouldn't need to lube the splines to get it installed, but that doesn't look correct as is. You shouldn't be able to see the splines once it's fully inserted. But there are 2 types of fitment that I am aware of, where some axles are a compound fit and don't require bonding and others that aren't and require bonding. Take a very close look at the splines and make sure the axle was designed for that hub.

·
Registered
231 Posts
lol no. Majority of MK4 shafts are hard to remove or set into the spindle (I have plenty of experience with MK4s to support what I say). Yes theoretically it should just slide in and out without much force, but most are now quite old, corroded, dirty with years of being on the road that it just doesn't happen as it does in the books.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I still think a clean axle will slide all the way into a clean hub, but I did just randomly run across this alxe installing tool that serves to prove that there is a reason this tool set is available. Just adding some food for thought. The OP's issue was already addressed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had the pleasure to work with a few ECS items, and most of it is just marketing - quick buck - items. Looks great, that's aboot it.

as far as corrosion goes, I take it you have never taken a pick scraper to your axle splines? You don't see the problem, it's simple, precise fit doesn't need much to throw it off.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
...as far as corrosion goes, I take it you have never taken a pick scraper to your axle splines? You don't see the problem, it's simple, precise fit doesn't need much to throw it off.
I've been around the block a few times with rusty axles...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
That was an interesting video to watch... all the right tools to make a difficult task possible.

Nice thing about having a summer only car that I am constantly taking things apart over and over again... nothing is rusty and everything is (effectively) new.

Now... I am worried about having to work on my 2009 150k mile Subaru WRX that spent years driving through the brine they use on the interstate. Need to sell this car! (after I fix some stuff on it)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've been around the block a few times with rusty axles...
Sorry, this video is just real big cringe. This man can't swing a hammer, you can see it from his short swings and torching the face of the hub? congrats on working the area that you are not working in, on top of which that sucker should be red hot if you are actually trying to do something, making the surface hot is easy. Extra long video for nothing. Yeah that's a nasty hub, but I laughed at this time waster. Also, lets not compare big SUVs to small sedans, pick your cherries in a store not on youtube.
Anyway, turning notifications off for this thread, see you around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts