VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 Scirocco 1.8 8v Completely stock in excellent condition with 190,000 K's on it. I was wondering how i would go about getting the most bang for my buck. I also dont know much about my car in particular, just that its not an 8v becasue it doesent say DOHC. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, editing my post, i mean not a 16v. Anyon feel free to ad anything, couldn't find much on the net. Any suggestions or links would be appreciated thx

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Re: How to get max HP and mod out MKII Scircco's (kyle_85rocco)

Quote, originally posted by kyle_85rocco »
I have an 85 Scirocco 1.8 8v Completely stock in excellent condition with 190,000 K's on it. I was wondering how i would go about getting the most bang for my buck. I also dont know much about my car in particular, just that its not an 8v becasue it doesent say DOHC. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated

DOHC means Dual Over-head Cam (16V)
SOHC is Single Over-head Cam (which is what an 8V is)

Wow...Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a sportier camshaft. You'll find that a "euro G-grind [solid lifter, that part is important]" cam adds a few extra ponies for next to nothing. Autotech, Techtonicstuning both have this or their version of it.
Lightened flywheel will certainly help. There is a gentlemen on eBay selling 8.5lbs ones if I recall correctly for about $110 USD.
Advance the ignition to what guys? 5 degrees? (can't remember).
You also might look into an adjustable timing gear so you can shift the powerband how you see fit. Want a little more torque in the low RPM range, you can adjust it for torque. Want it for more usable power on the freeway, you can adjust it for that too.
There is more but thats all that comes to mind at the moment.
Oh and, welcome to the forums http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Rob

Modified by MK1Scirocco1980 at 9:31 PM 8-29-2006

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: How to get max HP and mod out MKII Scircco's (timbo2132)

Cool, Thx alot for the info guys. I guess i should add that its an auto
, not my first choice, but thats what i got, because it was a killer deal. Also my mud flaps are cracked, i was wondering if there was a store (online possibly) that carries molded mudlfaps, Thx
cheers

Kyle

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was also wondering if putting a 16v head on an 8v block would be appropriate, or even worth it. Ive heard mixed opions on it, whats your guys take on it?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts

as far as putting a 16v head on a 1.8 block i would say you might as well just get the whole engine because its a 2.0 so you get a few ponies right there. also if you put in an entire engine you can couple it with a manual transmission before putting it in the car. but as far as enhancing current power all the stuff people have said so far is relevant, although i would reccomend a little bigger cam than a g-grind. mainly just free up the exhuast, get a cam, adjustable cam gear, and so on. unfortuneatly even if you have a stron motor your not gonna see much out of it with an auto, i would recommend getting a manual donor car in the near future. as someone who used to have an auto(Mk1) i can tell you that putting in a manual tranny will make a huge difference in your driving experience. other than that just what everone else has said. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Good stuff, looked into the cams and they are dirt cheap, and for a 13 HP gain what the hell. i'll probably be getting that and maybe some sport tuned springs, as soon as i get a job.. haha I'm only 15 so dont have that much Cash as of yet.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Probably wont have money for the Engine in the near future, but dropping a manual is what i want to do. I also was wondering about how easy that would pop in, would it be a lot of work changing it out (retrofitting it)?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts

I also was wondering about how easy that would pop in, would it be a lot of work changing it out (retrofitting it)?

well the swap from auto to manual isnt that hard, it just requires a few things that are kind of a ***** to do. for example to do it right you need to swap pedal clusters and take other various parts from an existing manual car. although it might be cheeper to buy a transmission and all the parts, i think for you(no offense, i'm only 16 so same ballpark here) it would be best to buy a car that is beat to **** and just take the tranny and tranny goodies out of the car and swap them into yours. but if you want any more info on the tranny swap or anything else about 8 valves just IM me and i'll answer all your questions the best i can. i recently went from auto to manual in my MK1 and i also put in a slightly modded 1.8 so i have knowledge on both. anyway, gettin carried away, when you get to doin the swap let me know and i'll help out the best i can, or just hit me up whenever for info on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I guess my biggest question would be, if i dont care about racing, i just want a good handling fun car thats practical but can go fast when i need it to, upgrading to a 2.0l is probably not worth it, even in the future? i should probably just upgrade the 1.8 i have now? thx
Cheers

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I checked my local auto wreckers and they have an 84 Scirocco. That would be an acceptable tranny wouldnt it, if i have an 85?
Cheers

Kyle

·
Registered
18,519 Posts

If the 84 is in good shape - I'd buy the whole car if you could.
But yeah - the 84 should have a 4K transmission, which is the most desirable transmission VW ever made. Only in 84 GTis 84 Sciroccos and 84 Cabriolets

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: How to get max HP and mod out MKII Scircco's (timbo2132)

THese are two problems i have already, I have a high Idle at about 1000 and my steering columb vibrates pretty aggresivly. I know the vibrating always happens but how do i fix that?

·
Registered
903 Posts

THese are two problems i have already, I have a high Idle at about 1000 and my steering columb vibrates pretty aggresivly. I know the vibrating always happens but how do i fix that?

Replace the fuel injector o-rings.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
how funny, my name is kyle and i own an 85

here are the toys i added to mine for more powah and it worked quite well
Current Engine
-VW Motorsport Windage Tray
-Audi 5000 Throttle Body
-Autotech Tri-Y header
-K&N Filter
-ABD Big Bore Intake
-Swiss Cheesed Air Box with heat shield
-Techtonics Adj Cam Gear(Red)
-Techtonics Lightweight Intermedite Sprocket(red)
-Bahn Brenner 8mm Plug Wires
-Bosch W7DSR (Silver) Plugs
-MSD Blaster 2 Coil
-2 Gauge Main (+)and(-)Wires
-AC/PS Removal
-176 Degree TStat(Euro Spec)
-185/199 Degree Low Temp Fan switch
-Distilled H20 w/Pentosin
-Techtonics 2.25" Cat back
-Striaght Piped Cat
-Mobil 15W/50 Synthetic(Summer)
-Mobil 10w/30 Synthetic(Winter)
Transmission
-2.0 16v Pressure Plate
-OEM Sachs Clutch
-Lightened flywheel (8lbs)
-Techtonics Race Rear Transmission Mount
-Techtonics Race Front Engine Mount
-VW Heavy Duty Side Mounts
-Redline MT90
-EMPI Rabbit Shifter
-Eurosport Short Shift Kit (50% Reduced Throw)
-Eurosport Shift Weight
well not all were for power but you get the idea, made a HUGE difference all together
hmm...weird, i never did the G grind....oh well i still got the best i could out of a stock cam

Modified by GotKraut at 1:22 AM 8-30-2006

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: How to get max HP and mod out MKII Scircco's (power_house)

Quote, originally posted by power_house »
you probably need new motor mounts. you can change em with the swap

Bad fuel injector O-rings will cause idle to be slightly high and motor to run rough - hence, vibration at the steering column. Always start with the cheaper fix first. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif However, in all fairness, idle at 1000 rpm isn't something I'd consider abnormal on an 8 valve motor, although 900rpm would be more desirable with an auto tranny.
You'll find that your idle speed will vary slightly with changes in weather and temperature.
In addition to the fuel injector O-rings, there are several rubber vacuum hose connections in the engine compartment. A leak at just about any one of these can cause similar running charateristics.
I know that you originally posted asking about improving horsepower, but since you just got the car here is a list of things I would do before I worried about bolt-on performance.
First step: buy a Bentley manual. The manual covering model years 1980-1984 is cheaper and better for your car in my opinion. The illustrations are far better than the 85-93 manual too.
(again) Replace the fuel injector O-rings. The set costs less than $10, and the injector puller tool costs less than $15. Doing this can save you a lot of headaches as you troubleshoot later because bad O-rings can cause a variety of problems.
Replace all of the rubber vacuum lines. Just do one piece at a time so nothing gets confused. Rubber tubing is cheap, and this can also make a big difference and save you a lot of headaches later.
Perform a full tune-up on the engine. This includes replacing the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and if you have the money replace the ignition coil with a new one - sometimes the difference this will make can be surprising. Check the timing and idle speed adjustment at this point and adjust per Bentley as necessary.
New fuel filter is never a bad idea either.
Your valve cover is most likely leaking. A new gasket is a good idea. I recommend spending the $20 for the one piece rubber gasket - it will outlast the cork gaskets and pay for itself in the long run. The 1985 did not have an oil deflector or "cam baffle" like later cars came equipped with. This simply sits on top of the cam bearings and is a simple thing to add while the valve cover is off. There are some wild claims out there about these adding a couple of horsepower which is nonsense in my opinion, but they are a good thing to have none-the-less. Send me your address at [email protected] and I'll mail one to you free of charge. Also I have a tip for you: replace the fuel injector O-rings and the valve cover gasket at the same time, you'll find that pulling the injectors is a hell of a lot easier without the valve cover in the way. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Clean all of your electrical connectors up.
If your OXS light on the instrument cluster (dash) is on, then it's time for a new O2 sensor. You can sometimes see some improvement after changing this too. It requires a special socket that is slotted to accomodate the sensor wire. You must use a great deal of care to not bend or twist the wire on the new sensor when you install it.
Take a good look at everything else. Do not ignore torn CVJ boots, worn belts, etc.

Modified by VWplaything at 1:51 PM 8-30-2006

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Re: How to get max HP and mod out MKII Scircco's (VWplaything)

Quote, originally posted by VWplaything »
Your motor has an interference head, so if the timing belt beaks, it's going to wad the valves.

an 85 8v?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: How to get max HP and mod out MKII Scircco's (ginster86roc)

Wow, Thx for all the info guys this is great to know. I bought the haynes manual but i guess thats not the best i can do. I dont understand your comment. When you said an 85 with an 8v engine?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts