VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '87 GTI with a 1.8 16v head and 2.0 block yada yada and it is CIS-E. How can I get a nice intake growl on it without spending too much money? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Re: How to get that intake growl with CIS-E?! (AeroDramatics)

There is always that "performance" trick of drilling the airbox. It does nothing except make it sound a little bit throaty. Well as much as you can with a 4 cyl. The best way to get a real intake growl is to get yourself a big block chevy with dual 4 barrels, that's a real intake growl.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: (mk2madness)

Just cut away the front side and the fender side of the airbox.. I cut a 3 inch strip out, the length of the airbox (half, front and fender side) put some screen mesh on the inside of the airbox and walla, hogged out air box... does absolutly nothing but make you motor noisier.. YAY for noisy motors... it will take you about 10 minutes and 2 bucks if you wnat mesh, or you can just go cut a square out of you back sliding screen door.. or prefferably your nieghbors...

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Re: How to get that intake growl with CIS-E?! (AeroDramatics)

Before you start cutting up the box, throw a K&N air filter in it. It will increase the noise level.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Re: How to get that intake growl with CIS-E?! (Elwood)

Quote, originally posted by Elwood »
Before you start cutting up the box, throw a K&N air filter in it. It will increase the noise level.

correctamundo. and dont drill up your box! the only box that needs drillin is your neighbor's wife's.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: How to get that intake growl with CIS-E?! (adidas_mc)

This is true also... absolutly no dyno proven gains with hogging the airbox but, if you want that sound and like it cutting your box will make it the loudest.... it doesn't come on until like 4k though.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
So our air box is restrictive at all or does the engine not pull enough air in to make it restrictive? Im curious on this subject too, i already dropped in a K&N and didnt really notice a difference in sound the motor has always been kinda noise when reving it it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: (Sn0wMaN)

Thank you snowman...

TT has dyno testes air intakes on 8v and 16v motors iirc and they showed 0 (zero) gain in power just more gain in noise... stock flows just fine...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Re: (AHarmes5)

what about the added heat the intake is now taking in? if its drilled would it not suck in warm air created by the engine? would power loss not be expected?
i am tempted to do this......for the sound alone.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: (Return of Mugs)

Quote, originally posted by Return of Mugs »
what about the added heat the intake is now taking in? if its drilled would it not suck in warm air created by the engine? would power loss not be expected?
i am tempted to do this......for the sound alone.

Bingo
I've seen dyno results showing a decrease in power with drilled air boxes.
Also, I would never state that the air box flows just fine. It is the first step in modification as far as I'm concerned. Opening up intake paths means more air. Nothing bad about that! The issue is how to bring cold air into the air box. if you hog out a nice big opening in the bottom, you'll want to make sure you add a CAI deflector of some sort that will channel air from under the front bumper up into the air box. Not easily done, but doable. Just be creative.
Hint: The charcoal canister sits in a nice little spot for the air duct.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: (Action Jackson)

flows just fine... dyno proven.. can't argue with that.. maybe take the "snorkle" out... blah blah blah....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts