Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the shifter pressed on?? if so whats the best way to get it off
i tried turning it but its not going
wierd thing is that i got a 5 speed shifter but only a 4 speed tranny
so either the tranny or shifter was switched before

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Re: how to get the shifter off (rubin_bc)

Sorry not much help but I know my 4spd one screws right off and I've tried to get 5spd knobs from j/y Fox's and couldn't get them off for nothin'.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Re: how to get the shifter off (Tjax)

I bet someone epoxied it on.
When I got the 5 speed tranny I went and bought the factory 5 speed knob thinking it would screw on just as the 4 speed did... but there were no threads inside the knob. It would slip over the shifter but it was loose and would spin around freely.
Short of tearing apart the old 4 speed knob to use the threads in the new knob, a dab of glue was suggested.
I got a naardi knob instead of using the hard plastic 5 speed knob.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: how to get the shifter off (Tjax)

Quote, originally posted by Tjax »
Sorry not much help but I know my 4spd one screws right off and I've tried to get 5spd knobs from j/y Fox's and couldn't get them off for nothin'.

maybe when i finally figure it out i could send u the 5 speed.. your not too far away from me so dont think shipping would be too much

·
Registered
4,297 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rubin_bc »

maybe when i finally figure it out i could send u the 5 speed.. your not too far away from me so dont think shipping would be too much

Nah, don't worry about it. It won't do me any good right now. I'd gladly use my 4spd knob if I just had a 5er to go under it.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts

mine screws off.......its a 5 speed.....just put some arse into it........not too much though bro started twisting on to rethread it and and broke one of the potmetal side stops or something off of his....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts