VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to remove the rear emblem on my GTI. has any1 done so? can you post pics of it? can someone tell me how to do it where if i dont like it i can put it back without ruining any thing. thankssss... opps, i mean the VW emblem. not the gti emblem

[Modified by vietpr1nce, 8:53 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (vietpr1nce)

If you are talking about the actual "GTI" logo, it's pretty easy. You'll need some dental floss, a finger (I'll explain) and a little bit of wax.
1.) Run the dental floss between the letters and the paint and "floss." They'll pop off.
2.) Use a finger to remove the sicky tape residue that is left from the lettering.
3.) If you notice that the paint still shows a sillhoette of the lettering, wash the area with regular car soap, let dry, wax and buff.
4.) Save the lettering for a later date

·
Registered
694 Posts

use some dental floss and a blowdryer to soften the glue.
Removing the rear vw badge leaves an ugly indentation. Why did VW decide to make a dent in the hatch anyways. If they woulda made it smooth it woulda saved dubbers some money http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (megadome)

quote:[HR][/HR]use some dental floss and a blowdryer to soften the glue.
Removing the rear vw badge leaves an ugly indentation. Why did VW decide to make a dent in the hatch anyways. If they woulda made it smooth it woulda saved dubbers some money http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​

i totally agree

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (djGolfGTI)

Same process. You can start to peel it away from the car my trying to pry your fingernail under the rubber "weatherstrip" surround between the chrome plastic and the paint.
I was just able to peel the whole thing off that way, but you can just bring up a small portion of it and use the dental floss for the rest.
For the residue I used over-the-counter brake cleaner. Some people might say that I was probably using under-the-counter drugs at the time, but it didn't harm my paint at all. Just be sure to wax the area that you sprayed and the area where the badge used to reside.
Yeah it'll leave an indentation (from the factory) but I still like the way it looks. And no I'm not paying a few hundred dollars to get it filled.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (TRBNIUM)

I took my emblems off too. I used dental floss, and a bug/tar remover. The glue is kinda hard to get off. As for the VW symbol, it just peels off, but there an indentation there.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (Green-Golf)

does the passat emblem fit in this indent?
anyone got pics of this?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (dygoro)

quote:[HR][/HR]does the passat emblem fit in this indent?
anyone got pics of this?[HR][/HR]​
it would fit.
Roger Moore did it on his car!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (TRBNIUM)

i actually wanted to put a carbon fiber sticker behind the chome VW emblem on the rear of the car, sorry i misinterpreted the question...i just dont want every1 to start doing this lil homemade MOD. how do i take off the chome VW without breaking it, so i can put it back on after i place carbonfiber behind it.???

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (VR6 Kid)

quote:[HR][/HR]does the passat emblem fit in this indent?
[HR][/HR]​
what's so special about the passat badge?

·
Registered
694 Posts

"i just dont want everyone to do this little homemade mod"
umm... Its been done before, you my friend will not be the first

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: How to - GTI rear emblem removal. (megadome)

Getting the VW emblem off and trying to put it back on might be tuff as a lot of the "sticky stuff" stays on the car when you remove the emblem...might have to get a new emblem..

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Nah.. just get some 3M Moulding Tape--part # 03609NA (Grey w/ red tape cover) and that works to put the badge back on.. if you so choose. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts