VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, http://roadsleeper.vwmafia.net/shifter.html is an excellent webpage on how to remove stock knob/boot and install a stock knob/boot that is preattached from the manufacturer. This was only good up to a certain point. After I got it off, I said, "What do I do now?" That's when my handy pocket knife came in handy. I'll explain later.
For those who are interested, I took some pictures and did a write up on this EASY process. Took me about 45 minutes to do. Take 10 mins off for a crap break. Fried chicken in the morning is bad on the digestive system.

DISCLAIMER: YOU F**K UP YOUR CAR, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. DON'T BLAME ME OR MY SORRY INSTRUCTIONS. WE ARE ALL ADULTS HERE. USE YOUR BEST JUDGEMENT.
Here goes...
1. First of all, work in a nice place. You'll feel much better. Anyway, you want to remove the trim ring around your shifter. I used two hands and placed them underneath the "ledge". You can feel it under your fingers. One was occupied at the moment with the picture taking. Just lift up and forward at the same time until it "snaps" out. You'll hear it.

Here's me pulling it up. Ohhhhhh, ahhhhhhh!

2. Once the boot is pull all the way up, you will see a tiny brass ring. This needs to be cut and removed. I used wire cutters for this process. Make sure you take your time and don't mar anything.
Picture of brass ring.

You want to cut the piece of the brass ring that sticks out in a square shape. It take a bit of effort but it will deform and break.

Once the ring is broken, you want to spread the ring apart and remove it off from the shifter.
Here's the ring in my hand spread apart.

3. With the brass ring finally off, you can go ahead now and pull straight up on the knob and it should come right off. Here's me doing it.

4. Here comes the part where I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. How do I remove the boot from the shifter? I'm sure there are MUCH better ways but this is how I did it. Being lazy as I am, I took out my trusty Benchmade knife and cut around the leather as depicted in the picture. It took about a minute to do.
Before and after pictures...

5. Next, follow instructions that came with the SCR adapter. It is available from their webpage. Very simple to do now. Here are some pictures of the install and final product.

6. Here's the final installation process. Hang on, we're almost done.
Put the boot back on the shifter the same way you took it off the first time. Don't "unfold" it all the way yet. You will need to play with the hex screws on the SCR adapter and knob.

Next, follow the instructions that came with your Momo knob. Very easy. You will first need to install the sharp hex screws into the knob. This will of course be used to tighten it down to the shifter. Just get them started so it will slip on easily onto the shifter.

Oh, be sure you slide the Momo threaded ring onto the shifter before putting the knob on. This is how it should look with everything on but not tightened down.

You want to position the knob how you want it and slowly turn each hex screw on the knob one at a time until it tightens all the way. Make sure it's how you want it positioned. Make sure they are tight so the knob won't turn on you. After that is done, screw the shiny threaded Momo engraved ring onto the knob to cover up the holes.
7. Position the boot how you want it and carefully lift the boot back up to expose it's hex screws. Pull the adapter up until it hits the bottom of the knob. There's only two screws on the SCR adapter. You can use the allen wrench supplied with the shift knob. It fits perfect. Tighten the screws down until they are tight. Now you can reinstall the shift lever ring. The front end goes in first and then snap the rear back down. Simple.
8. Work your gears to make sure you can shift.
9. Go for a test drive.
10. Grab a cold one.

Here's the final product.

Tools used

GOOD LUCK!!!

[Modified by hungalicious, 12:04 PM 9-12-2002]

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (hungalicious)

quote:[HR][/HR]Here comes the part where I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. How do I remove the boot from the shifter? I'm sure there are MUCH better ways but this is how I did it. Being lazy as I am, I took out my trusty Benchmade knife and cut around the leather as depicted in the picture. It took about a minute to do. [HR][/HR]​
I was stuck at this part too. I finally figured out that all you have to do is push a small flat screwdriver into the crease where the top of the boot is and the whole thing will come apart.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (RubberDubbie)

I COULD of done that but I was too lazy. I was in a slice and dice mood.

·
Registered
799 Posts

That means you can't go back to the stock shifter with the stock boot?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

Just curious about one thing...does your brass ring have a bunch of little holes in it? My brass ring wasn't brass, it looked more like a steel clamp with little holes in it. The holes were used to keep the ring in place like the holes in a belt used to hold up your pants.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (Exception)

With my method, No. With GTI's maybe. You will have to ask him.
RubberD,
My brass ring was brass with no holes.

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,234 Posts

Nice job dude! This since post saves on posting 3 different links now, when people ask on how to!

Now if you can only let me know how hot that knob gets at the end of the day, if it's not that bad, let me know.

I've been debating for 4 months now, on going with the same as yours or the half lether on top by Momo!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

Hmmm...that's weird. I thought maybe that the 2002s had the new steel ring, but since you have a 2003, my theory goes out the window. My ring looks like it can be reused.
Also, if you use GTI's method of removing the boot, it can be reused with the original shifter if you haven't cut it up to fit the SCR adapter.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (ElectroMike)

ElectroMike,
Will do. My car is parked outside right now in this HOT ASS weather we are having. The inside temp is probable in the 100 degree + territory.
I'll update in the evening.

·
Registered
397 Posts

I love the nice jumpsuit pants!!! Great knob, does anyone know if you can do this and hack the shifter down?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (BlackGTI VR6)

They are actually Nike swimming trunks that I bought after high school. Still got them.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (GTI_Matador)

Your page is great GTI_Matador. I just wish I found it sooner. Anyway, it was either do this write up or do this....

What are you guys thinking? I'm talking about Number 2 and putting lotion on my dry elbows!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (BlackGTI VR6)

quote:[HR][/HR] Great knob, does anyone know if you can do this and hack the shifter down? [HR][/HR]​
would like to know too- i have hacked my shifter and have a momo sphere knob

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]ElectroMike,
Will do. My car is parked outside right now in this HOT ASS weather we are having. The inside temp is probable in the 100 degree + territory.
I'll update in the evening.[HR][/HR]​
Show us a pic of the palm of your hand when you get this seared into it...

I hasn't been too hot around here yet, so I've been spared the pain...so far...
[Modified by RubberDubbie, 12:54 PM 9-12-2002]

[Modified by RubberDubbie, 12:55 PM 9-12-2002]

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (RubberDubbie)

Temperature update...
No branding of the word MOMO in my palm. I left it in direct sunlight during lunch. Yes the knob gets hot as hell but I don't hold on to it after shifting anyway so it doesn't hurt. Once the AC gets going a bit, the knob cools down enough to hold, not that I hold onto it. Say around 5 minutes or so.
I give it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,234 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Temperature update...
No branding of the word MOMO in my palm. I left it in direct sunlight during lunch. Yes the knob gets hot as hell but I don't hold on to it after shifting anyway so it doesn't hurt. Once the AC gets going a bit, the knob cools down enough to hold, not that I hold onto it. Say around 5 minutes or so.
I give it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​

Thanks for that update!
So, honestly, if you had an option to choose again and apperance between the full metal look vs. top leather/full leather look was not the most desiding factor, keeping in mind that the overall Momo look, with a bigger overall size and comfort was what you're aiming for, would you still get the "ouchy hot" knob?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Re: How to install a Momo knob and SCR adapter (ElectroMike)

I would! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The Momo sphere looks much better in person than in pictures. It's too shiny and any light reflecting off it makes it look too bright in pics. BTW, there is a little bit of leather in the "all" aluminum Sphere. It's gray leather and seperates the upper half of the sphere from the lower.

[Modified by RubberDubbie, 7:45 AM 9-13-2002]

1 - 20 of 65 Posts