VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (Grogthefrog)

well practically there is three wires that i dont know where they go. one is for the ignition and the other 2 i dont know where they go. also, how will it work with the alarm?

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (jetta8vwolfsburg)

the 3 wires are ignition, ebrake, and ground wire. with the alarm there are 2 ways of using the turbo timer. either use a relay so you have use of your stock remote while the turbo tiemr is on or just splice the wires and the stock remote is disabled when the turbo tiemr is on. thats about it.

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (vw3433)

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
'Morning all.
Sorry I was snoozing through this thread.
Yup! the link above takes you to my install page. It describes the installation using the MWG circuit found here: http://www.geocities.com/chaco....html
The tricky thing with a turbo timer install on a 20th AE is that the stock alarm won't arm while the motor is running. Also your keyfob won't lock the doors while the engine is running.
Soooooo.. Luis developed this little circuit that he's selling that does a lot of that stuff for you. When you switch your car off, the turbo timer leaves the engine running. You get out of your car. You can key lock it if you like (I do) and then walk away. When the turbo timer shuts off the engine, the MWG circuit will lock the doors, roll up the windows and close the sunroof if you like. Its kind of a neato little gadget.
What I didn't put in the install is that I added a cut-off switch for when I go to the dealer. Luis has instructions for this with the MWG circuit. It makes it so you can turn off the turbo timer and throw this cut-off switch on the MWG and the car will behave as if it had no turbo timer at all.
The installation wasn't difficult at all, it was just time consuming. I might tap into the ignition wires closer to the firewall if I were doing it again. I've got back problems and really couldn't reach all the way back close to the firewall without removing the seats. I tapped into them in the steering column. It works, but its a little cramped up there.
If you have any questions, let me know. I'm happy to help.
PEter

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (quicksilver337)

Quote, originally posted by quicksilver337 »
Thanks for the complaments Peter and also thanks for the write up of the TT install, I always refer my customers to your web site...I hope you don't mind

No prob... That's what it is there for.
PEter

· Registered
765 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (jetta8vwolfsburg)

With reguards to cooling a turbo down, wouldn't it be better to have a thermostat regulate the time that the engine stay on instead of just a one-amount-of-time for every situation?

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (BoxCar)

Quote, originally posted by BoxCar »
With reguards to cooling a turbo down, wouldn't it be better to have a thermostat regulate the time that the engine stay on instead of just a one-amount-of-time for every situation?

Good question. There are different kinds of turbo timers and different ways to calculate how long the car stays running. The most simple ones let you set a time (2 minutes for instance) that your car stays running.
Others have a minimum amount of time that the car will stay running (30 seconds for example) and then they add a few seconds for every 10 minutes that the car is driving. They also have a maximum time the car will run that you can set manually.
Still others look at how you're driving. They start with a base amount of time that the engine will always stay on after you switch off the key (50 seconds on mine... this is user adjustable) and then they add seconds to that depending on how hard you drive the car. They read this by how much time you spend in different RPM zones. If you're between 5000 RPM and redline a lot, then it will add a lot of time to the amount it stays on. If you're just going to get groceries and don't really get much over 4000 RPM, then the turbo timer will keep the car on for the minimum.
Really smart turbo timers allow you to choose from all three of these meathods. They also have other features built into them.
I've got a Blitz DC FATT III. I chose it for two reasons. 1) the main control unit hides under the dash leaving only a small display to mount. That made the install a little more difficult, but much cleaner when all is said and done. 2) it pretty much does all of the above listed functions and more. It acts as a volt meter, can display RPM, inside cabin temp and plots the cycle of the moon. (Just kidding about the last one). It does even more stuff too, but I usually just leave it set on volt meter so I don't have to install one of those when I do my gauge package.
The down side of it is that it doesn't come with a black case anymore and the LEDs don't match. If I ever finish my audio install, get my mirrors and sway bar installed and numerous other mods done, I've got a second display that I'm going to take apart and replace the LEDs with blue ones and paint the case black to match the rest of the interior.
Like I said in another thread... modding your car is like being a crack addict only more expensive. The turbo timer actually wasn't that bad. I got it from Summit for $99 and the MWG circuit was $55 or something like that. The time consuming thing was doing the install and taking the time to really do it right.
Good luck. Let me know if you've got questions.
PEter

· Registered
3,918 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (BoxCar)

Quote, originally posted by BoxCar »

the greddy TT is very easy to change the countdown time. i just kind of guess as to how long i want the TT set for depending on how i drive. if i drive pretty hard i'll set it to about 5+mins. it's all a guess, the Greddy has a count up feature and i am only guessing, but i think it counts up depending on how much throttle you give it. so the longer and harder you are on the throttle, the higher the TT counts up during driving. The MWG trigger switch is great, when i pull the key the TT counts down, and i hand lock the door with the key, i don't like leaving my car unlocked. then when the TT finishes it still activates my alarm and puts up windows if they are open.

· Registered
330 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (Grogthefrog)

Quote, originally posted by Grogthefrog »
doesn't look like you can buy one from here. and how much? shouldn't be much more the $50.

Hello Grogthefrog, Well the COMPANION unit allow you to use your Key/Remote control to lock and arm your factory alarm while the TT is runing your engine. This mean you get out of your car while the TT is idling your engine, close the door, press your remote control and you will lock the doors and hear your alarm horn BEEP confirming the alarm is armed.
If somebody open a door or the hood while the engine is running it will triguer your alarm.
The $50.oo gadget you are talking you CAN NOT use your remote to lock the door neither arm the factory alarm.
With the $50.00 gadget you have to manually close the door and when the TT shut off the engine then this gadget arm the alarm.
So as you see, these are completely diferent 2 gadgets. One have more features the other have less. Thats why the price is also diferent.
Isaac

Modified by Turbo Boss at 12:31 PM 2-2-2004

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (Turbo Boss)

what you mean close the door manually? from what I have heard it works the same exact way yours dose and its almost 1/3 the price

· Registered
330 Posts
Re: how to install apexi turbo timer on 20th aniv (20thAEguy)

Quote, originally posted by 20thAEguy »
what you mean close the door manually? from what I have heard it works the same exact way yours dose and its almost 1/3 the price

20thAEguy, I think you have heard bad or dont understanded when they explained to you. With the $50.oo gatged you CAN NOT use your factory remote to lock your car
You have to use your key and incert it on the lock under the door handle and CLOSE your door MANUALLY
With the COMPANION you can use your factory remote to arm the alarm and lock the doors just pressing your remote ciontrol while the engine is running with your TT.
Isaac

· Registered
68 Posts

so with your unit you can use the remote, so what else can it do?
I mean for the difference in price. the $50 unit also activates the alarm and rolls up the windows. Does your unit do that??
So let me break it down
$130 and you can use the remote to active the factory alarm.
$50 you have to lock the doors with the key and it also activates the alarm and rolls up the windows.
don't know man but I rather save the $80 and manually lock it, I mean it's not like anybody can drive away in your car or anything.

· Registered
3,918 Posts

hi turbo boss, yes i fully understand how the mwg trigger switch works, i have one

Yes i would rather use my remote to activate the alarm, but sheesh 130$

50$ and having to use my key to lock it is perfect.
BUT don't you're 130$ switches also not have to be switched on and off? is it only on when the TT is on? it sux having to turn off the mwg switch if i'm not using it. so if yours works that way then that's also a good selling point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.