VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (bobby_t1)

ok this way is really simple i did it and i suck at doing things on my car
inside your wheel arch there are 2-3 little plastic nubs the nubs hold the plastic liner for the wheel well in place i took the one closest to the ground out and put my hand through till i could feel the light i have big arms it was pretty tight might want to pull out 2 of the "nubs" to get enough clearance anyway when u feel the light trace your finger toward the rear of the light rear meaning toward the back of your car and you will feel a metal clip if you push the clip toward the front of the car and outward it will pop the light out with out breaking it then just plug in the light to the new smoked one then place the front part of the side marker in first followed by the side with the metal clip this worked well for me hope it works for you

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (SpdRacrGTiVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]this worked well for me hope it works for you
[HR][/HR]​
I hope so too
thanks.

·
Banned
10,500 Posts
i just posted these last weekend.
But basically, reach your hand through the fender liner and press the metal clip. The clip will be pointing towards the rear of the car. You may want to use a screwdriver to reach the clip if you have short / think arms.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (Slapshotnerd)

do I have to pop any of the "nubs" off that SpdRacrGTiVR6 mentioned?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (Slapshotnerd)

quote:[HR][/HR]i just posted these last weekend.
But basically, reach your hand through the fender liner and press the metal clip. The clip will be pointing towards the rear of the car. You may want to use a screwdriver to reach the clip if you have short / think arms.[HR][/HR]​
thats what i did, got a thin screwdriver, then just pried it up. took about 10 seconds a piece, and I have done it about mmmmm 6 times now, and never broken anything. this IS the way to do it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Okay, I went out to my car yesterday to try and install these side markers, but I couldn't even get teh fender liner off... I see the little "nubs" that ppl are talking about, but I have no idea how to get it off..
I tried prying with a little screwdriver, but didn't seem to move anywhere. Plus, the lip of the fender liner sits so close to the bumper, I didn't want to risk scratching the paint.
Any pointers?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

yank those buns out, i did it too a while back, you just need to yank the plastic crap out, reach in, find the release push it out turn bulb, insert new ones....pop back in the nubs!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (98vwgti)

he nubs do take a litte work to get them out but just be patient and use a little force an they will pop out

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Do I use a flat screwdriver and just pry upwards on teh nub itself? Or do I wedge the screwdriver under the LINER and pry up?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts

i used a flathead and pulled on the nub thing that way you have plastic on eiher side of it and no damage to paint

·
Registered
173 Posts

if you put a towel over your screw drive and pry a little you can see the metal clip and push it towards the front of the car and it'll pop right out. Maybe im lazy but i couldn't do it the other way and this worked fine for me. Anyway don't mess up your paint.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (evr6)

hehe i tried just using a flat screwdriver and and prying it out from the front...in the dark...needless to say one of my sidemarkers is being held on with clear tape
oh yeah i smoked them myself, and was pleased with the results

·
Registered
127 Posts

or you could just take a flat head...and stick it inbetween the top of the sidemarker and the bumper..then just pry downwards...it should slide out nicely..and none of this wheel cover stuff..I have red sidemarkers

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (kazimer)

which spray did you use? looks nice btw

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (28)

thanks for the compliment i used "Model Master" custom spray enamel the paint is called
"clear transparent black window tint" number "2949"
i bought it from a local hobby shop

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Re: How to install Hella tinted sidemarkers (kazimer)

what i did was stick a flathead in there and pry, but i'd advise you to put a thin piece of cardboard or something in between the screwdriver and your bumper...you have to pry harder than you might think

1 - 18 of 18 Posts