VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of you have the OEM Oil Pan Protectors (sumpguard) and since the hardware is NLA (no longer available) improvisation became necessary. Here is a DIY for those who didn't figure it out, I may be able to get my hands on 3 more of these if theres any interest, let me know. You'll have to think upside down when doing this, but pictures are a lot better than from underneath the rabbit, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me

Here is the hardware included with the setup, all hardware is Grade 8 or better

Clean off the rear mounting points of your block, a wirebrush will do just fine, I noticed substantial crud on my diesel block, so a good brushing will give you a nice clean mounting surface. Slide one of the long 10mm bolts through the flanges, place a washer on the bolt prior to sliding into flange,

After that, place another washer on the flange facing you,

Next place first nut

Then place second nut upside down

Do the same for the other side

After that move to the front of the block, you'll need to clean out the threads with a tap, it makes the bolt installation go much easier, (the couple of blocks I tested these on had 10+ years of crud inside both holes) the tap is 10x1.50

After you clean up the threads, mount the oil pan protector

Install the last nut ( on both sides) and leave it all loose so you can accomodate the tight fit on the front mounting points

Front view of the two holes you cleaned up with the tap

Use the smaller of the two short bolts on the left bolt hole pictured (further to the right, drivers side, when installing onto car), place washer onto bolt then thread into hole, leave loose

Using your third hand :p place 2 washer behind the oil pan protector, between block and flange of the OPP, then insert the longer of the 2 short bolts into hole, thread in loosely,

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You'll see the OPP sit nicely on the block when its sitting correctly, once all looks right, you can snug down the first 2 nuts that will hold the rear bolts to the flanges, then tighten the 3rd nuts to retain the OPP legs to the rear bolts, then finally the front bolts. The OPP does have some adjustment as far as height, I noticed about an inch of adjustment, so I will test it on a 4 quart oil pan and see how it works, Any questions feel free to PM me :beer:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts