VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to drive a 2001 Accord V6 Coupe, and even going 75 mph on 16 inch alloys, the inside was silent. But that car is heavy!
I know the GTI is much lighter, but the road noise I get from driving around on the stock 17's is extremely apparent.
Has anyone ever done anything to fix this? Dynamat for the floor? Some sort of insulation spray foam?? Anything...
Louder stereo??
j/k
I know there will be some road noise, but I'd like to minimize it if I could....
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
318 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (pkagel)

quote:[HR][/HR]seal and pack every nook and cranny w/ insulation adding about 400 lbs to your car and it will be very quiet[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (judoGTI)

go down to 205/55 r16 tires, and put touring tires on.
the Accord EXV6 had 205/60r16 tires, most likely if you were still on OEM tires, Michelin Energy MXV4+, the extra sidewall thickness and the design of treads made things smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (converted_vw)

quote:[HR][/HR]go down to 205/55 r16 tires, and put touring tires on.
the Accord EXV6 had 205/60r16 tires, most likely if you were still on OEM tires, Michelin Energy MXV4+, the extra sidewall thickness and the design of treads made things smoother and quieter.[HR][/HR]​
I agree. The single largest source of road noise is tires. Your choice of tire basically determines the noise level. I imagine we've got a little more engine noise in the cockpit, but it IS a VW.

But yeah, if you go out and get some 205/60r16 "touring" tires, and you'll be nice and quiet on the road. Your handling will deteriorate, but that's often the trade.
Myself, the best balance I've found is Dunlop's D60 Sport A2s. They're not too aggressive, relatively quiet, have tremendously improved traction over stockers (rain, snow, you name it) and are less than $100 a corner. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif in my book
edited to fundamentally change the tone of the message
edited to restore original text
edited to change fetermine to determine because I often make typos

[Modified by overmonk, 3:41 PM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (judoGTI)

The back of the GTI is open, creating more of a "din".
If you wanna quiet it down, look into stuff called Dynomat. Put it in the trunk floor and the rear wheelwells (on the inside, of course). That will quiet it down some.
And you can hear the GTI more than the Accord because the Accord is a boring vanilla box...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (converted_vw)

True that "sporty" tires will raise the noise level, same with truck tires (man, those things whine). But you can silence the cab to overcome this.
Cars like the Camry and Accord (to a greater extent Lexus, BMW and Mercedes) put sound deadening material in the car to keep the road noise down. True, the Camry and Accord aren't exactly riding on 19" P-Zeros, but drive the Lexus SC 400, and you'll see how quiet a sports car can be.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (overmonk)

quote:[HR][/HR]I agree. The single largest source of road noise is tires. Your choice of tire basically determines the noise level.[HR][/HR]​
Totally. I have 45 series 17s. When I drove over a stretch of new pavement at about 60 mph, the car became ultra quiet and smooth. Felt like I was in my dad's Lexus. Then the new pavement ended and the noise returned

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: How to kill road noise? (EgoTrip)

quote:[HR][/HR]True that "sporty" tires will raise the noise level, same with truck tires (man, those things whine). But you can silence the cab to overcome this.
Cars like the Camry and Accord (to a greater extent Lexus, BMW and Mercedes) put sound deadening material in the car to keep the road noise down. True, the Camry and Accord aren't exactly riding on 19" P-Zeros, but drive the Lexus SC 400, and you'll see how quiet a sports car can be.[HR][/HR]​
So you're telling me the GTI, Golf, & Jetta have no added sound insulation
?
I have ridden in an Accord EXV^ with 225/45r17 Yokohama AVS Sports, copmpared to the OEM wheel-tire comparo, road noise is definitely increased.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.