VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A Stock Photo of My Car
Hey guys,
It was suggested to me earlier that I make my Integra LS 4-door 5-speed into an autocross car, and stay far far away from the street racing and ricing scene. What would it take to make this into an autocross car? What are the key principles of a good autocross car?
Can anybody suggest a high-performance driving / racing school around Maryland? I'm thinking about taking a class.
Thanks a bundle,
Ben

·
Banned
4,560 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (mr_mbuna)

Depends on what class you want to run in and what the series rules are.
Unless your car is already modified, it makes no sense doing anything other than getting a good set of tires if you are just starting out. Be careful even with the tires though, not all tires are legal for all classes.
Sounds like you should just go to an autocross with the car the way it is and do it a few times.
As for driving school's, they can't hurt, but the autocross is going to help you learn to be a smooth, quick driver as well. You don't need to attend one in order to autocross.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (SciroccoGirl)

quote:[HR][/HR]Buy an ITR
[HR][/HR]​
NO dont do that....My buddy has one and even though he loves it, he can only go so far with it.

·
Banned
2,754 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (Golf_CL)

comptech suspension parts http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thats a 4-door GS-R in that pic

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (kyokoris)

quote:[HR][/HR]LSD, S03 15s light weight rims, tein coilovers...

you car will out handle most of the stock type-Rs[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif except try some R compounds

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (Golf_CL)

quote:[HR][/HR]Buy an ITR

NO dont do that....My buddy has one and even though he loves it, he can only go so far with it. [HR][/HR]​
Hey man, Rupert has plenty of ways to go till he's old and done!

then after that, it's Project Tony

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (Moo Man)

All Integras are good auto-x cars even bone stock.
I'd highly recommend just running it in G-stock for a while. Mods will move you into a much tougher class.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (gsrroger)

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you add a Limited-Slip Differential. It will all be for nothing if you cannot get the power to the ground comming out of hard corners.

·
Registered
41,822 Posts

Nothing.
Learn to drive first, with street tires. They're more forgiving of mistakes and they let go much more gradually.
Then if you want to continue autocrossing and become competitive, get a set of R-compound tires mounted to extra stock wheels.
Believe me, a stock Integra will not be the slowest car there. G-Stock looks like an exciting class to be in.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (jacobyb)

quote:[HR][/HR]Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you add a Limited-Slip Differential. It will all be for nothing if you cannot get the power to the ground comming out of hard corners.[HR][/HR]​
Which moves you straight to STX or DSP.
In principal, yes an LSD is good, but it will just move an Integra LS into a class in which it will never be competitive.
Keep it stock. Race it as is: you'll learn a lot faster if the only part on the car you can change is the nut behind the wheel.
My website has lots of pics of me auto-xing my old GSR (as well as lots of pics of me auto-xing my GTI) if you wanna check them out.

·
Registered
940 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]

A Stock Photo of My Car
Hey guys,
It was suggested to me earlier that I make my Integra LS 4-door 5-speed into an autocross car, and stay far far away from the street racing and ricing scene. What would it take to make this into an autocross car? What are the key principles of a good autocross car?
Can anybody suggest a high-performance driving / racing school around Maryland? I'm thinking about taking a class.
Thanks a bundle,
Ben[HR][/HR]​
Since you live in Fredrick Maryland I would try a driving school at Summit Point Raceway. http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/ Its a very short drive from Fredrick. Also a good place to catch some good racing on the weekends.

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (CountryBoy)

Hey, wait, he is from Frederick...
Yeah, keep it stock! I'll give you some direct competition - I'm also a total novice (only one autocross under my belt, in my GTI) and my 240SX is in G-Stock.

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Re: How To Make Integra Into Autocrosser? (AKADriver)

Hehehehe. Another autocrosser from MD...
The people who told you keep it stock and learn to drive are correct. the largest performance variable is the driver. Then comes tires. My wife just took her first autocross school up in Harrisburg PA (an hour and a half from Baltimore, and not much more than that from Frederick), and will be attending her second competition event this weekend in Gettysburg.
We'll be down to Frederick sometime this year. You'll recognize the only PT Cruiser autocrossing (it's in H-stock, but last time out, I was faster than half the field in G stock, and the PT won't have race tires until late in June!).
Seat time is more important that the trick mod of the month, believe me. I've been doing this a long time, including some stints as an instructor. Novices need seat time more than they need mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.