VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nutshell, look at this:

That's not my car anymore. I did have it for a while, you probably know it as Brad's car though.
I got rid of it, and I don't know why. So basically this thread is about making a doppelganger from scratch, because I miss it a lot.
Also, though I intended it to be a budget build, things have spiraled a little bit. Hence why I now recommend you find a solid donor instead of piecing everything part by part.
But I'm in too deep so here we go:

January 2015
Picked up this little nugget for a decent price. It's classic green like the previous one, and from what I can tell it's been a Florida car for most of its life, as there is no rust to be seen.

I looked around for a month or so for a good donor to pop up, but the only ones I liked were $4-5k+. At the time I thought I could piece it all together for less than that...hahaha I know better now.
So I started with the 5-lug stuff. New Brembo rotors, stainless lines, DE front calipers, Mk4 rear calipers, CX Racing coilovers, new control arms with all new bushings.
March 2015

Got some RXIIs for it, not my final wheel choice but I love them as daily rollers

End of March 2015
This is where things take another turn. I had at this time discovered user root beer's "How to build a reliable VR6" thread and made it my new Bible. I found some Schrick 268s, ordered ARP bits, TT HD valve springs, mk4 lifters, blah blah blah
I'm a huge fan of not having things break on me so I guess I justified getting everything at once.

It wouldn't matter anyway, as I'd eventually take the block apart too.

April 2015
I try my hand at opening up the head a little bit. I decide to leave it to the professionals.

I wanted to run a VR lip, but my front bumper was one of those aftermarket one-piece things. My friend was selling one with shaved sides and he painted it for me.
I cheaped out and bought two of the ebay lips knowing fully well they blow up. It's not on in this pic but I'll eventually get the real deal because the front gap drives me crazy.

May 2015
I get my head back. Cleaned it up nicely, 5-angle valve job, etc etc

July 2015
It's been a busy year. My friend suggests I do piston rings and bearings in the bottom end so I have a fresh motor. Alright.

August 2015
Motor is completely apart. I take the block to the shop to get honed out. In the meantime, I do ST swaybars.

Finally get my smoked ecodes in. Decide that I will eventually do a Euro rad support. Also put on Hella Magic Colour smoked tails.

September 2015
Decide to start piecing together the black interior. Don't get it all in one sweep, but that's ok

Picked up the block. Had the guy press in new intermediate shaft bearings too. Crank was polished. Just about ready to put it all together!

And this is where I leave you for now. Comments/criticism/suggestions welcome

·
Registered
14,906 Posts
Nice work!! I use the same philosophy! Might as well do everything new since you have it apart. Last thing you want is to cheap out and have something break or have to do job twice. :thumbup::popcorn:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
:thumbup: Good luck with it! Keep a watch on this thread as I am coming back into the game with a 98 Jetta GLX and need pointers and need refreshed knowledge! It's looking good brotha!

·
Registered
50 Posts
nice!! what part of south fl you"r at I was doing my cabby vr6 too but changed direction at the last second and now I'm going 1.8t. I live in Miami so if you have any question hit me up.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Haha nice k waas there the weekend before, feel freevto pm Me if you need outh yhere
Thanks man. Been watching their inventory like a hawk. You go often?

nice!! what part of south fl you"r at I was doing my cabby vr6 too but changed direction at the last second and now I'm going 1.8t. I live in Miami so if you have any question hit me up.
I'm actually in Orlando. Appreciate it my friend!

Same here, I'm in for this build and in Naples. Reach out if you need parts or direction. Several cabbys here in yards and lots of vr6 swaps.
Thanks dude! Funny thing is last year I was working on another car and the LKQs/U Pulls always had at least 4 Cabrios in the lot. Mint dimple dashes mint door cards...had I known..
I visit my parents in Sarasota from time to time so it's not out of the question for me to come down to Naples if there's a prime specimen.

I appreciate the warm wishes and offers to help out guys! The heyday of Vortex might be behind us but it's nice to see there's still a strong community here.
I've been assessing my parts list and figured I'd post up the items I still need to pick up. Maybe some of you have parts collecting dust in the attic. Maybe you have leads as to who is the best source.

Black center console
Front ABS sensors, VR6 specific
Mk4 5-spd shifter with cables, as fresh as possible
OBD2 throttle body
Polo shifter box and accessories for Mk4 shifter
Downpipe, stock, preferably gasket-matched
AC Compressor, VR6 (unless I get confirmation that my 2.0 one will work)

Also, I thought I was good on ECU and wiring harness, but it turns out the guy I bought them from was mislead and I have OBD1 stuff. Sooo back on the hunt for a good OBD2 ECU and clean wiring harness.

Thanks for reading that book

Jon

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.