VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How to permanently fix the leaking rear washer sprayer Golf R GTI Mk7 Mk7.5

20K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Softee fish 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year when the Golf R was new in our garage I posted about the chronic rear washer leaking: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9340563-Leaking-rear-washer-sprayer-2019-Golf-R

Fast forward about 1 year of ownership I have had the rear washer sprayer assembly replaced 3 times due to constant leaking, only to have it start leaking again after about a month each time. According to VW the check valve is inside the sprayer, so I have to just chock it up to poor design, poor supplier to VW, or both. So it's time to fix it once and for all.

The fix is to install a check valve in line near the sprayer. There are various check valves out there for washer systems, anything will work in general, here is what I bought.

Purchase the following parts, or similar parts (I found these in a Mk6 thread).
-Mini Cooper Valve (BMW part number 61-68-8-229-249)
-Two VW hose adapters (1J0955875R)
-Basic vacuum hose, 3/16 or 5/16
-Felt wiring harness tape. You can also use shrink wrap.

Remove the upper panel on the rear hatch. Pull to remove, it's just held on w/ clips, then plastic tabs at the end. Work slowly and carefully. Some of the metal clips may stay in the body, just remove those w/ pliers then reinsert in the trim piece when time to reinstall.

Find the thick felt wrapped tubing and pull it out of the opening in the hatch.

Just towards the center of the car through the opening is a white hose connector that connects the washer hose to the back of the 3rd brake light/rear washer assembly. Pull the black retaining tab back a little (careful!) while pulling the connector away from the nipple it attaches to. You can then pull the end of the tubing out with the connector. (Sorry this is difficult to photograph b/c it's a small space). I used a pick tool to pull the retainer back, then the connector popped off easily.

Cut back the felt tape. Cut out a section of the plastic washer tubing about 3" long to account for the length of your soon to be installed check valve.

Install the connector into each end of the original tubing. I heated up the ends of the tubing with a heat gun first, it made it much easier to push in the connector barb.

Connect the ends together with small sections of vacuum hose and the check valve. **Be sure the check valve is oriented in the right direction, an arrow shows the flow direction**

I chose to wrap the check valve and hose in felt electrical harness tape. You could also use shrink wrap, or nothing really.

Tuck the harness back into place and snap the connector back on the nipple on the back of the 3rd brake light/washer assembly. Then you are good to go!! Test operation....note the rear hatch must be closed to operate the rear wiper/washer.

Enjoy! I did this mod recently...tested it and compared to before the leaking is gone so far but it hasn't been that long. I will report back in a few weeks on the status/success of it, but logically I don't see how it can't work!.

Credit to this thread on a similar fix on the Mk6 Golf: https://www.diyauto.com/manufacture...leak-from-the-rear-washer-nozzle-by-71sbeetle

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like Photobucket is glitching. Click on each image box and you will see the photos on Photobucket.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for posting this. I have the opposite problem; nothing comes out from the rear washer. Checked the reservoir no leaks. I was hoping to pull the third brake light out but from what I’ve read here that requires removal of the spoiler. Now I’ll disconnect the supply line to see if fluid is getting to the rear window. If not it may be the pump although I hear it running when I press the stalk.

#7 · (Edited)
Spoiler is not that hard to remove. I had to replace mine after an encounter with the garage door. Remove the trim inside the hatch and there are 4 nuts or so then it pops up and off. Having a second person helps to hold it while you unplug the wiring for the third brake light and the washer hose. Put painters tape on the rear edge of the roof to protect it as the spoiler pops forward a little as it comes off.

Sent from my Galaxy S20+ using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Thx for posting. I had seen the Mk6 solution last year when I was dealing with mine pissing all over the hatch but never got around to messing with it any further than having the dealer replace stuff under warranty.

We need to find a generic solution to 1J0955875R as they are $12+ each! What a joke.

#8 · (Edited)
Curious why you need to use the VW couplers (1J0955875R). Couldn't you just plug the Mini check valve inline where you cut the existing hose?

EDIT 07/13:

Found the original MK6 post and re-read through it

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...rom-the-Golf-or-GTI-rear-window-washer-nozzle

and came across this:

do you know if the barb connections are the same size as the VW valve?

(basically just wondering if I have to buy new tubing + adapters, or if I can just slice off the old tubing and drop in the Mini valve)
Mine started leaking from the added tubing/adapter connection. I Cut the tubing and reattached to the adapters and used a small zip tie to 'seal' the end! Stopped the seepage. If I had it to do again, would not use the adapters ( $9.70 ea, worth 50 cents) from VW, and would just cut the original tubing and push the two ends onto the mini valve and use a larger zip tie.

Placing the adapters into the original tubing requires some effort, so imo, no need for the adapters and 3/16 tubing.

Also noted in that post was folks who were still seeing leaks afterwards. Perhaps it was the way they did the install as it didn't seem to be everyone so who knows.

Best price I found (shipped) for the check valve was from BMW of Atlanta - $10.05 shipped

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/oem-parts/mini-check-valve-61688229249

#12 · (Edited)
Curious why you need to use the VW couplers (1J0955875R). Couldn't you just plug the Mini check valve inline where you cut the existing hose?

I bought the parts based on that thread but it turns out that VW reduced the diameter of this hose after the Mk6. So yes you could definitely just cut once and plug in the check valve. I had already cut 3" out of mine when I realized that it was smaller so I just went with the connectors and rubber hose.

#9 ·
What timing, started getting this on my '18....driving me nuts as I've got a newly ceramic coated car and the water spots take some rubbing to get out....argh.

#14 ·
My check valve arrived yesterday and I did the install today. I did not use the VW hose connectors (1J0955875R) saving ~$25. I followed the steps Nickshu provided otherwise (thx!). I got the check valve for $10 shipped from BMW of South Atlanta as I didn't want to drive across town to the Mini dealer and I wasn't in a hurry to have the part in my hand. The heating of the hose definitely helped getting it onto the check valve nipples. I put a section of shrink tubing into place but did not activate it as I want to go back in and check for leaks in a week or so before sealing it up.

I suppose time will tell if this works or not.

#15 ·
Cool! So far mine will drip a little after using the rear washer, then won't drip again. I assume this is the remaining fluid in the 3rd brake light/washer assembly. Still a major improvement as mine would drip all the time, even weeks after not activating the rear washer, especially when the car would sit out in the sun.

#20 ·
Same. Working well on my end as well.

#21 ·
You are lucky. My dealer did mine once and I replaced it myself 2 more times...started leaking again a couple months later every time.

#23 ·
I know this is an old thread but I got the ‘it’s working just fine’ response from my mechanic on my 2015 golf sportwagen. Followed the directions on this thread to the letter and have finally fixed the persistent leak! Such a relief. Thanks for the post!!

#25 ·
It does a little bit, but for me has remained about 90% better than the stock setup.

#31 ·
Detailer can buff out the glass. Or you can DIY that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.