VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Nice writeup. Owned two DSG cars myself ('05 New Beetle TDI and '08 R32) and have spent significant time behind the wheel of an APR-tuned '07 GTI DSG, so I consider myself very familiar with the transmission and have collectively put well over 100,000 miles on a DSG. The TDI DSG seemed to respond best in Drive, but I drove my R32 in Tiptronic mode 100% of the time. Only other tip I could add is that when slowing down, downshift accordingly. Don't wait until you need to reaccelerate to request a downshift. Yes, the method described above helps alleviate any pauses in acceleration, but if you're downshifting as you slow, you'll already have the appropriate gear for re-accelerating. I'm very much looking forward to picking up my '13 Hybrid SEL Premium this week and getting familiar with the 7-speed DSG in that car.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I liked the write up but am kinda confused a little, wouldnt the DSG think you would want the higher gear instead of the lower one if you had the accelerator pedal pressed in? Assuming you were trying to go faster requiring the higher gear to continue forward motion. Or is it more at an established point from the TPS to determine whither up or down is next?
Under light acceleration, yes, the DSG will pre-select the next higher gear. If you are firm with your right foot, the DSG will pre-select the next lower gear to prepare for possible harder acceleration.

I think it's also necessary for people to get some perspective with the DSG. Because people think of it as an automatic, and because your left foot isn't pressing the clutch pedal in and out, we forget that (to an extent) some pauses are to be expected. But, in reality, even the longest gearshifts in the DSG are faster than most humans shift...even when the DSG appears to be confused.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.