VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Thank you for this thread! I bought my GLi just 2 weeks ago now, and I've been teaching myself the little nuances between driving clutched manuals and cpu controlled ones. It's been fun, but I still had some of the old habits which I didn't realize were hurting me until this thread. :beer:

Time to go for a drive....for science :)

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
That is correct, it is silky smooth when you press the accelerator then request a downshift. At least hold the throttle steady with a lil load on it, and it's been silk for me. I've come a LONG way since buying mine back in August (well the last 3 days of it anyway lol). I've got just under 17k in that time so I drive a lot a lot, and it's very smooth for me if you drive it right.

I always owned traditional manual cars up until this one I decided to try out, and it's definitely a learning experience, but just a few tweaks early on makes a huge difference, and I can say that this gearbox is awesome!

Getting a DSG tune..........utter greatness, and the cure for the overly eager shifts in D mode you mentioned. S mode becomes usable too and a lot of fun when you wanna go have a good time without shifting yourself. Manual mode is excellent of course as well.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
^That's no biggie, it's magically delicious and part of a balanced breakfast BUT the gearbox is still very good once you're used to it. I switch up between driving in D or M depending on how I feel all the time. Sometimes I'll go weeks of using M mode exclusively, and sometimes I'll just put it in D and ride with an occasional override. S gets used sometimes on the Interstate when there is the traffic to warrant it (putting the car into cruise control while in S mode makes it like D basically...until you touch the throttle at all to accelerate then BAM! let's go, then as long as you didn't touch the brakes.....goes right back to cruising for fuel economy, sweeeeeeeet).

Other times, I'm going out to have a fun drive in S mode (a billion times better than the stock S mode since you can actually relax because it'll upshift to at least 4th at 50mph instead of 50mph in 2nd lol).

Give it time, it's a great system, you'll like it once you learn how to drive it, just like when you first learned to drive with a clutch.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Also, the hesitation at take off is Hill Control, which is something you can turn off....

Even of you don't, you can also 'pre stage' the car to take off at a light by your throttle position. Think of how you learned the bite point on a manual clutch. Do the same thing with the throttle, you'll feel that we you start to let off the throttle slowly, you'll feel a point where it's JUST LIKE when you do the same thing with a clutch and the engine engages but you're not moving just yet. It's a very very easily felt point if you look for it, release any further, the car moves 'now'. It only hesitates if you're fully on the brake the whole time.

Defeating Hill control takes away another thing, but that's just the simple totally easy free thing you learn first. You don't wait for the light to turn before you press the clutch at all, you get ready just before it turns...same thing, other pedal lol.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
It's also something you can audibly notice if you pay attention to when the engine note changes from neutral to under load.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
You have to hook it up to a Vagcom software (if you don't have it, then there is probably someone on the forum that lives 'nearby').

You can do a TON of different tweaks to the car with a laptop and cable. It's pretty awesome.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
It's hugely worth it, especially on the Mk6 cars. I've had at least one since the Mk3, but it's almost a requirement on the 6 lol.

I'm sure someone is nearby that can help you out. If you were near Delaware then I'd take care of it for you.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Haha I'm a big driving fan, but I don't drink beer....ham and cheese sounds good, pulled pork and steak fries with a birch beer, you might could have a deal lol

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
The DSG tunes are great. The latest ones are even offering more clamping force supposedly to prevent clutch slip. I love it. I don't touch the paddles. The car is better at knowing what I want when I need it than I am....
The tunes are really really good, I haven't checked for any update in the last 6-9 months or so since the last update, but it's so good. :)

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
They are definitely! I was on Unitronic Stage 1 DSG since I was Stage 1 (Both Beta's) for about 10-15000km (Roughly 9200 miles) and was absolutely in love with it, it completely changed the car! All the jerkiness and little bugs from stock were completely gone! About 2 weeks ago I decided to go and get Stage 2 for both ECU and DSG and it's even better now! The way the power is delivered is soooooo smooth and the shifts are very fast and crisp, and of course the DSG farts are insanely loud and awesome!!! :eek: :D
I miss my DSG farts 🙁 I don't have them anymore with my APR DSG tune....I need mah farts even if they are only a sound, everyone needs a good fart sometimes lol

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Drove a gti DSG and my GLI DSG but never hear the farts of the GLI :( yay for having a trunk haha

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
My GLi used to fart before the DSG tune when I only had the ecu tune. It was wonderful, then I got the DSG tune and it stopped.

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Mine hasn't done that before unless I have done something weird with the inputs. Have you had your fluid changed yet? You're almost to 40k which is the service life anyway, so that may help. When you're leaving a stoplight, are you gradually releasing the brake or just dropping it and pressing the throttle?

You can smooth the transition from rest to moving at a light by easing up off the brake just to the point where you feel the clutch engage (you can literally feel and hear the point where it does by listening to the engine), if you let off any more the car will move, otherwise it'll sit on that point. I of course don't recommend doing that the entire time you're at a light, but if you anticipate the light change, it's a good practice. Not saying that's your issue, but something to think about if you haven't been doing that yet.

How are your mounts, have you don't any hard launches or anything that could've damaged them (especially the dogbone), might be worth having a look at that one specifically to see if there are any cracks or fractures.

I'm at 81k on my '13 GLi and she's not doing that cold or hot. Like I said the only time I ever had that was if I do something weird it wasn't expecting. Also, do you have Hill assist active still, it could just be that kicking in if it's not a clunk and more a dragging of the clutch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I can't say for sure honestly what it might be, my TCU is APR tuned and has been for the past 33k miles. Has it always done this, or just an all of a sudden thing?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I agree, I would love to see a video of this if it's reasonably possible. I've definitely never had anything like what you're describing in my 41k miles of ownership (bought it with 40k already on it, so I'm at 81 about to hit 82k tomorrow).

Kei

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I already mentioned the speed of going from one 'gear' to another. This didn't seem to be the case as he also mention that it does it from a stoplight/sign which means that unless he goes to park every time he's at a sign, then it's doing it when his foot is already on the brake and in drive.

Unless he's dropping the brake extremely abruptly every time he moves, then something may be off. I know a lot of ways to trick the DSG now, but I don't end up with the weirdness he does on the regular. It's pretty easy to trick it into predicting something other than you want, not that you should be doing that lol.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
You were able to get your GLI to DSG fart? I never have been able to. My wife's GTI farts like no one's business and I love it. My GLI is silent... (and not so deadly).
Haha, yup, my 2013 GLi used to fart like a champ (not as good as the mk7 GTi did when I had it)......until I got my APR DSG tune, then it no longer farted. It was a sad happy day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
<<This is all about shifting manually for those folks who like to drive it like a manual>>

Need some DSG driving tips. I plan on eventually getting a tune so I can go "full" manual, but in the meantime...

One thing I do not like about the OEM DSG software is that in manual mode, when you go WOT and click that switch, it will automatically downshift and tends to downshift one gear too many, especially when you're going about 25-30mph and 55-60mph.

Example: 2nd gear tops out around 60mph. So... I'll be cruising at 58mph. If I floor it, it will kick down to 2nd gear which will bring the motor to around 5800rpms and at the tail end of the power band, and then it will have to upshift immediately to 3rd. Very annoying. Personally, I think the OEM software should prevent a downshift if it will bring the engine speed above 5500rpms.

I've gotten in the habit of "not flooring it" completely when accelerating (which is counter intuitive) in order to avoid an unwanted automatic gear change.

Another example: I was entering an onramp in manual mode in 2nd gear. I rolled on the throttle and manually upshifted to 3rd around 50mph. And right at about 55-58mph in 3rd I accidentally went WOT and the DSG kicked down to 2nd gear, bringing the revs to almost 6000rpms and then having to upshift back to 3rd. Again, very annoying.

Open to suggestions on how to drive it better. Thx.
Interesting, I never really had a problem with this since I knew the switch was there. I have a sensitive foot though, so it was very easy to floor it without hitting the switch.

I think besides muscle memory, the best way to deal with this besides that would be to get a DSG tune. With one of those you can do whatever you want with the pedal, and it won't upshift in any gear (except 1st to 2nd for safety).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.