VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just wanted to say a couple of things, the first of which was thank you OP for this thread. I just switched over to a GLI with DSG after owning nothing but regular manual transmission cars for all of my 23 years of driving experience. Just reading this thread has already helped me figure this thing out.

Also wanted to say I am definately learning the DSG is not like a traditional manual or a traditional automatic, and is its own beast.
I really do wish the DSG would get the RPMs out of the basement and drive normally. The engine is always under 2,000 rpms, which I never really was when driving regular manual transmission cars. Then of course Sport is useless for DD and should just be called "track" or "crazy, can't use ever, high rpm lunatic" mode. Why VW could't throw in a middle ground or just simply set the regular D setting to be decent is beyond me.

I'm finding that having to give it gas to downshift instead of lifting is oddly hard coming from previous practices. I had my first "DSG WTF" moment yesterday after only having the car since last Thursday. Switched to manual mode while getting on the highway to try things out a little. Pulled the paddle for a change down one gear, which went fine, then went into the on-ramp, where I then when to accelerate and pulled the paddle again for another downshift and........nothing. Then all of a sudden, a very harsh/poor downshift to what I think was 2nd, the engine raced and the situation scared the crap out of me. I forgot I had slid the shifter into manual mode, so I waiting for the transmission to shift up, but of course it didn't. I ended up accidentally letting the rpms get to like 6,200 before I let off the gas to end things and it finally shift up. I felt like I had not driven a car before......

This is going to take more getting used to than I had expected. Not sure what I think about the DSG so far. Coming from only driving regluar manuals, I don't feel like I can get the gear I want, when I want it, which was what I was expecting from the DSG. I wouldn't even mind it taking a little time to shift, but the changes are far less smooth than I was with a regular manual, which is disappointing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You have to hook it up to a Vagcom software (if you don't have it, then there is probably someone on the forum that lives 'nearby').

You can do a TON of different tweaks to the car with a laptop and cable. It's pretty awesome.

Kei
Hoping it was a setting I didn't see or a fuse I could pull. I have wanted to get a VAGCOM cable for a while, but don't have a laptop, so it would be a larger purchase. I have thought about it several times and might finally get one sometime this year once I get a few smaller things out of the way.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
so I just checked. mine is definitely smoother no throttle
Hmmm....I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Are you letting off the gas completely or just not giving it more gas?

I have to say, I drove to work in manual mode and used the gear shift lever, bumping up and down the gears that way for almost all the shifts on the drive. I found things felt a little better, more natural for me, and for some reason much smoother in regards to downshifts/transitions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.