VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
That is the opposite of what the rest of the thread says and what I have experienced. :confused: For me, pressing the accelerator then requesting a downshift appears to have the smoothest shifts so far.
fair enough. it's hard to imagine what I'm doing in the car when I'm not physically sitting there doing it (which I'm not). I do believe I do both. I almost like the little blip I get when no gas is applied during a downshift. probably not great for the gearbox but it's a hard habit to break after coming from a manual.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Hmmm....I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Are you letting off the gas completely or just not giving it more gas?

I have to say, I drove to work in manual mode and used the gear shift lever, bumping up and down the gears that way for almost all the shifts on the drive. I found things felt a little better, more natural for me, and for some reason much smoother in regards to downshifts/transitions.
not driving hard. engine is warmed up. seems like when I upshift during acceleration gas is definitely the way to go. but even when I'm say accelerating and click down a gear it jerks slightly. more than it does if I am on the brakes and I click it down.

I dunno, I'm not expert. it's just my personal car, maybe I've got a unique problem but I'm ok with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.