VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Well that was...long :p

I agree the DSG is different to drive compared to an automatic or manual gearbox and requires a different thought process.

You should clarify upfront which type of DSG you are referring to. I'm assuming you are talking about the wet clutch 6 speed DSG?

I don't particularly agree with the 3 second delay being due to the DSG being "cold" so to speak. DSG transmissions have temperature restraints for high temps. If anything performance should be retarded at higher temps. 3 seconds is not something I can see VW allowing on a cold transmission and not mentioning it in the manual.

I'm basing this on how my 7 speed DSG operates by the way. Downshifts are quick whether I stay on the throttle in manual mode or not. The most common complaint I have seen is accelerating from stop. Many depress the accelerator and instant acceleration doesn't occur even without hill hold. Only happens in D mode though so I guess that a topic for a different discussion.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah, and this was the shorter version - hahaha.

My experiences are indeed on the wet clutch 6 speed in North America, but would hope that some of this would translate to other versions, even non-vw. If you know of any different behaviors on other types, it would be good to have those.

Yeah, that was more of a exaggerated example for fun :) But I have noticed a very prominent difference in the behavior of the DSG when it is cold vs warmed up, such as Jerky starts and weird start/stop behavior that I never see when its warm. That teamed together with maintenance warnings about the same thing, I think its important people know that you should take proper care to let the packs warm up to avoid any problems.

I totally agree. This was actually the first complaint I had myself. I have hill hold disabled, and it still occurs - But it appears to be a designed behavior whenever coming from a "brakes on" (rather than just a stop) position. Its like the clutch purposely waits almost a second to engage if you just took your foot off the brake. Now if you take your foot off the brake, wait about half a second, then hit the gas - magically no delay in throttle (Try it). And to further "Hmm", I notice the exact *same* delay when using launch control. I rev up, release the brake, and there is a half second delay before the clutch engages. I will add that as a tip.
One unique quirk of the 7 speed DSG is performance actually changes the hotter it gets.
As I mentioned before the DQ200 DSG has very little fluid (1.7 litres) compared to the wet clutch DQ250. This fluid in the DQ250 helps cool the clutches and keep temps relatively low. The DQ200 is essentially called a dry clutch in comparison and temps can get elevated. At these temps the friction coefficient of the clutches changes. All of this is quite normal for a dry clutch.

No worries right? Wrong(ish). Approach certain hills in D mode at lower speeds (say 3 miles per hour) and the car upshifts to gear 2 asap due to it trying to save fuel economy. Anyways due to the reduced friction coefficient coupled with extra strain due to accelerating uphill the clutches slip for a bit leading to a juddering vibration. Rocks the car for a split second and is very disturbing. Feels like driving a manual uphill in too high a gear. Especially happens when you feather the throttle.

Dealer solution? "Drive more enthusiastically. Basically this keeps the car in gear 1 for a bit longer or down shifts from 2 to 1 so you don't end up being in the "wrong" gear for the hill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.