VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Awesome post!

Now I have something to entertain myself with on the drive to lunch today.... :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great thread, lot of help sorting out my DSG...a couple of questions:

1. If I'm in 'D', and switch over to M, is the gear 'accurate'? Meaning, one time I went to M and it was in 4th, at 2200RPM, 32mph, up a grade...this just seems like a really tall gear to be in for that circumstance - or perhaps I'm just not accustomed the GTI's torque curve?

2. When entering/exiting a corner, when have you found to be the best time to downshift to accelerate out? I think I read somewhere else that the DSG will rev match for you...

3. How many of you use 1 from a complete stop? It seems that even under moderate to light acceleration, I'm at 4K very fast and am quickly upshifting. Do you just start from 2 unless on an uphill grade?
1. The gear is accurate. The turbo is at full spool and the engine generating peak torque at about 2000 RPM, so you can accelerate in pretty much any gear as long as you're over 2k.

2. Do your downshifting before the curve. It's a front wheel drive car and the weight shift mid-corner from the change in acceleration during a shift could upset the handling.

3. The DSG won't let you start in anything above 1st gear. My thought is that this is done to limit clutch slipping and excessive heat generation, but I don't have any documentation to back that up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.