VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Lol I'm sure it does, but I've only driven the traditional 6spd diesel.

Kei

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just wanted to say a couple of things, the first of which was thank you OP for this thread. I just switched over to a GLI with DSG after owning nothing but regular manual transmission cars for all of my 23 years of driving experience. Just reading this thread has already helped me figure this thing out.

Also wanted to say I am definately learning the DSG is not like a traditional manual or a traditional automatic, and is its own beast.
I really do wish the DSG would get the RPMs out of the basement and drive normally. The engine is always under 2,000 rpms, which I never really was when driving regular manual transmission cars. Then of course Sport is useless for DD and should just be called "track" or "crazy, can't use ever, high rpm lunatic" mode. Why VW could't throw in a middle ground or just simply set the regular D setting to be decent is beyond me.

I'm finding that having to give it gas to downshift instead of lifting is oddly hard coming from previous practices. I had my first "DSG WTF" moment yesterday after only having the car since last Thursday. Switched to manual mode while getting on the highway to try things out a little. Pulled the paddle for a change down one gear, which went fine, then went into the on-ramp, where I then when to accelerate and pulled the paddle again for another downshift and........nothing. Then all of a sudden, a very harsh/poor downshift to what I think was 2nd, the engine raced and the situation scared the crap out of me. I forgot I had slid the shifter into manual mode, so I waiting for the transmission to shift up, but of course it didn't. I ended up accidentally letting the rpms get to like 6,200 before I let off the gas to end things and it finally shift up. I felt like I had not driven a car before......

This is going to take more getting used to than I had expected. Not sure what I think about the DSG so far. Coming from only driving regluar manuals, I don't feel like I can get the gear I want, when I want it, which was what I was expecting from the DSG. I wouldn't even mind it taking a little time to shift, but the changes are far less smooth than I was with a regular manual, which is disappointing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just wanted to say a couple of things, the first of which was thank you OP for this thread. I just switched over to a GLI with DSG after owning nothing but regular manual transmission cars for all of my 23 years of driving experience. Just reading this thread has already helped me figure this thing out.

Also wanted to say I am definately learning the DSG is not like a traditional manual or a traditional automatic, and is its own beast.
I really do wish the DSG would get the RPMs out of the basement and drive normally. The engine is always under 2,000 rpms, which I never really was when driving regular manual transmission cars. Then of course Sport is useless for DD and should just be called "track" or "crazy, can't use ever, high rpm lunatic" mode. Why VW could't throw in a middle ground or just simply set the regular D setting to be decent is beyond me.

I'm finding that having to give it gas to downshift instead of lifting is oddly hard coming from previous practices. I had my first "DSG WTF" moment yesterday after only having the car since last Thursday. Switched to manual mode while getting on the highway to try things out a little. Pulled the paddle for a change down one gear, which went fine, then went into the on-ramp, where I then when to accelerate and pulled the paddle again for another downshift and........nothing. Then all of a sudden, a very harsh/poor downshift to what I think was 2nd, the engine raced and the situation scared the crap out of me. I forgot I had slid the shifter into manual mode, so I waiting for the transmission to shift up, but of course it didn't. I ended up accidentally letting the rpms get to like 6,200 before I let off the gas to end things and it finally shift up. I felt like I had not driven a car before......

This is going to take more getting used to than I had expected. Not sure what I think about the DSG so far. Coming from only driving regluar manuals, I don't feel like I can get the gear I want, when I want it, which was what I was expecting from the DSG. I wouldn't even mind it taking a little time to shift, but the changes are far less smooth than I was with a regular manual, which is disappointing.

I came from nothing but standard cars and after 2 years... I still dont get this tranny. Its just poorly programmed. I drive around in manual mode if Im doing anything but puttering about because it is always... ALWAYS in the wrong gear. Sport is a joke. Useless. drive demands that you drive to save fuel and then will randomly rev to 4000rpm at a quarter throttle. The most annoying thing to me is the pause while taking off and the hesitation before coming to a stop. Id love to get a dsg tune but the thought of killing the warrantee on the most expensive thing on the car kills me inside.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
That is correct, it is silky smooth when you press the accelerator then request a downshift. At least hold the throttle steady with a lil load on it, and it's been silk for me. I've come a LONG way since buying mine back in August (well the last 3 days of it anyway lol). I've got just under 17k in that time so I drive a lot a lot, and it's very smooth for me if you drive it right.

I always owned traditional manual cars up until this one I decided to try out, and it's definitely a learning experience, but just a few tweaks early on makes a huge difference, and I can say that this gearbox is awesome!

Getting a DSG tune..........utter greatness, and the cure for the overly eager shifts in D mode you mentioned. S mode becomes usable too and a lot of fun when you wanna go have a good time without shifting yourself. Manual mode is excellent of course as well.

Kei

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
^DSG tune, for me, is definately not in the cards until the warranty is up. I'm still early on with the DSG, so I just need to learn more around it and how to get the best out of it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
^That's no biggie, it's magically delicious and part of a balanced breakfast BUT the gearbox is still very good once you're used to it. I switch up between driving in D or M depending on how I feel all the time. Sometimes I'll go weeks of using M mode exclusively, and sometimes I'll just put it in D and ride with an occasional override. S gets used sometimes on the Interstate when there is the traffic to warrant it (putting the car into cruise control while in S mode makes it like D basically...until you touch the throttle at all to accelerate then BAM! let's go, then as long as you didn't touch the brakes.....goes right back to cruising for fuel economy, sweeeeeeeet).

Other times, I'm going out to have a fun drive in S mode (a billion times better than the stock S mode since you can actually relax because it'll upshift to at least 4th at 50mph instead of 50mph in 2nd lol).

Give it time, it's a great system, you'll like it once you learn how to drive it, just like when you first learned to drive with a clutch.

Kei

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Also, the hesitation at take off is Hill Control, which is something you can turn off....

Even of you don't, you can also 'pre stage' the car to take off at a light by your throttle position. Think of how you learned the bite point on a manual clutch. Do the same thing with the throttle, you'll feel that we you start to let off the throttle slowly, you'll feel a point where it's JUST LIKE when you do the same thing with a clutch and the engine engages but you're not moving just yet. It's a very very easily felt point if you look for it, release any further, the car moves 'now'. It only hesitates if you're fully on the brake the whole time.

Defeating Hill control takes away another thing, but that's just the simple totally easy free thing you learn first. You don't wait for the light to turn before you press the clutch at all, you get ready just before it turns...same thing, other pedal lol.

Kei

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It's also something you can audibly notice if you pay attention to when the engine note changes from neutral to under load.

Kei

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You have to hook it up to a Vagcom software (if you don't have it, then there is probably someone on the forum that lives 'nearby').

You can do a TON of different tweaks to the car with a laptop and cable. It's pretty awesome.

Kei

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You have to hook it up to a Vagcom software (if you don't have it, then there is probably someone on the forum that lives 'nearby').

You can do a TON of different tweaks to the car with a laptop and cable. It's pretty awesome.

Kei
Hoping it was a setting I didn't see or a fuse I could pull. I have wanted to get a VAGCOM cable for a while, but don't have a laptop, so it would be a larger purchase. I have thought about it several times and might finally get one sometime this year once I get a few smaller things out of the way.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It's hugely worth it, especially on the Mk6 cars. I've had at least one since the Mk3, but it's almost a requirement on the 6 lol.

I'm sure someone is nearby that can help you out. If you were near Delaware then I'd take care of it for you.

Kei

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Haha I'm a big driving fan, but I don't drink beer....ham and cheese sounds good, pulled pork and steak fries with a birch beer, you might could have a deal lol

Kei

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
That is the opposite of what the rest of the thread says and what I have experienced. :confused: For me, pressing the accelerator then requesting a downshift appears to have the smoothest shifts so far.
fair enough. it's hard to imagine what I'm doing in the car when I'm not physically sitting there doing it (which I'm not). I do believe I do both. I almost like the little blip I get when no gas is applied during a downshift. probably not great for the gearbox but it's a hard habit to break after coming from a manual.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thanks for the post

41 - 60 of 122 Posts