VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
so I just checked. mine is definitely smoother no throttle
Hmmm....I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Are you letting off the gas completely or just not giving it more gas?

I have to say, I drove to work in manual mode and used the gear shift lever, bumping up and down the gears that way for almost all the shifts on the drive. I found things felt a little better, more natural for me, and for some reason much smoother in regards to downshifts/transitions.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Hmmm....I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Are you letting off the gas completely or just not giving it more gas?

I have to say, I drove to work in manual mode and used the gear shift lever, bumping up and down the gears that way for almost all the shifts on the drive. I found things felt a little better, more natural for me, and for some reason much smoother in regards to downshifts/transitions.
not driving hard. engine is warmed up. seems like when I upshift during acceleration gas is definitely the way to go. but even when I'm say accelerating and click down a gear it jerks slightly. more than it does if I am on the brakes and I click it down.

I dunno, I'm not expert. it's just my personal car, maybe I've got a unique problem but I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question

I do a lot of city driving and I notice, often, when I drive with the car in drive, it shifts too quickly and bogs down. I've considered driving in sport mode to avoid this, but don't want to beat the car up, if it will do so driving that way often. Any info anyone can offer up?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do a lot of city driving and I notice, often, when I drive with the car in drive, it shifts too quickly and bogs down. I've considered driving in sport mode to avoid this, but don't want to beat the car up, if it will do so driving that way often. Any info anyone can offer up?
You could just put in Manual mode and shift whenever you want either with the stick or paddles! Otherwise you would need to get a DSG tune which is the only way to resolve these terrible shifting ranges!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
D is frustrating, requiring me to hit the brakes more than needed since there is little engine braking. It's not as bad as the Mk6. S mode is more aggressive in this than the Mk6 too. That software up shifts with a small life of the throttle. The Mk7 S mode will not upshift until 4K, Min. I've just stuck to the paddles the majority of the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OP, great writeup, tons of good info to keep in mind

use the paddles, if you want to be in a lower gear just pull on the left paddle and it will kick down and go into manual mode for a few seconds (manual says 8 seconds, sometimes its longer than that) and then will return to D (or S). I've found this very helpful when I'm stuck in traffic and want to pass someone without wanting to wait for the DSG to downshift.

Also, you can drive around in S mode and then use the upshift paddle to keep the rpms in a reasonable range (not 5k in 2nd gear driving down a residential street).

I wouldn't worry about beating the car up, S mode was programmed from VW, so if they didn't want you driving like that then they shouldn't have made it so (stupidly) aggressive.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You could just put in Manual mode and shift whenever you want either with the stick or paddles! Otherwise you would need to get a DSG tune which is the only way to resolve these terrible shifting ranges!
The DSG tunes are great. The latest ones are even offering more clamping force supposedly to prevent clutch slip. I love it. I don't touch the paddles. The car is better at knowing what I want when I need it than I am....

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The DSG tunes are great. The latest ones are even offering more clamping force supposedly to prevent clutch slip. I love it. I don't touch the paddles. The car is better at knowing what I want when I need it than I am....
The tunes are really really good, I haven't checked for any update in the last 6-9 months or so since the last update, but it's so good. :)

Kei

·
Registered
161 Posts
They are definitely! I was on Unitronic Stage 1 DSG since I was Stage 1 (Both Beta's) for about 10-15000km (Roughly 9200 miles) and was absolutely in love with it, it completely changed the car! All the jerkiness and little bugs from stock were completely gone! About 2 weeks ago I decided to go and get Stage 2 for both ECU and DSG and it's even better now! The way the power is delivered is soooooo smooth and the shifts are very fast and crisp, and of course the DSG farts are insanely loud and awesome!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
They are definitely! I was on Unitronic Stage 1 DSG since I was Stage 1 (Both Beta's) for about 10-15000km (Roughly 9200 miles) and was absolutely in love with it, it completely changed the car! All the jerkiness and little bugs from stock were completely gone! About 2 weeks ago I decided to go and get Stage 2 for both ECU and DSG and it's even better now! The way the power is delivered is soooooo smooth and the shifts are very fast and crisp, and of course the DSG farts are insanely loud and awesome!!! :eek: :D
I miss my DSG farts 🙁 I don't have them anymore with my APR DSG tune....I need mah farts even if they are only a sound, everyone needs a good fart sometimes lol

Kei

·
Registered
397 Posts
Drove a gti DSG and my GLI DSG but never hear the farts of the GLI :( yay for having a trunk haha

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Drove a gti DSG and my GLI DSG but never hear the farts of the GLI :( yay for having a trunk haha

I miss my DSG farts 🙁 I don't have them anymore with my APR DSG tune....I need mah farts even if they are only a sound, everyone needs a good fart sometimes lol

Kei
This is a video from when I was just Stage 1. Will need to take a new one ;)

https://youtu.be/hKRxKIMJGHE

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

My GLi used to fart before the DSG tune when I only had the ecu tune. It was wonderful, then I got the DSG tune and it stopped.

Kei

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been experiencing a frustrating phenomenon with my DSG for the last several months and, unfortunately, the dealer cannot replicate the problem.:banghead:

Sometimes, when I let off the brake after shifting Park-to-Reverse or Park-to-Drive, or when let off the brake after a red light, the car will behave like a novice manual transmission driver; you remember those days of not timing the clutch pedal release with the gas pedal and the RPMs drop and the car chugs for a second? My GLI with the DSG is acting just like that. It has done it in manual mode and in "auto" mode. The car bucks a little and then continues on. It happens on a cold engine and has started happening with a warm engine, too.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? Could my clutch be slipping? Failing? I'd like to think that a clutch being controlled by a computer would know when to properly engage and wouldn't behave like a novice driver.:confused:

Car is a 2014 Jetta GLI with the DSG; approx. 34,000 miles

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Mine hasn't done that before unless I have done something weird with the inputs. Have you had your fluid changed yet? You're almost to 40k which is the service life anyway, so that may help. When you're leaving a stoplight, are you gradually releasing the brake or just dropping it and pressing the throttle?

You can smooth the transition from rest to moving at a light by easing up off the brake just to the point where you feel the clutch engage (you can literally feel and hear the point where it does by listening to the engine), if you let off any more the car will move, otherwise it'll sit on that point. I of course don't recommend doing that the entire time you're at a light, but if you anticipate the light change, it's a good practice. Not saying that's your issue, but something to think about if you haven't been doing that yet.

How are your mounts, have you don't any hard launches or anything that could've damaged them (especially the dogbone), might be worth having a look at that one specifically to see if there are any cracks or fractures.

I'm at 81k on my '13 GLi and she's not doing that cold or hot. Like I said the only time I ever had that was if I do something weird it wasn't expecting. Also, do you have Hill assist active still, it could just be that kicking in if it's not a clunk and more a dragging of the clutch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Haven't had the dsg service. While I do drive spiritedly, I'm not hard on the car - especially from a stop.

I've heard that this is normal procedure for the DSG. If so, what is happening in the internals to cause this? I've also heard that a tune will remove the this behavior.

If it keeps it up, I might move on to a different dealer here in Dallas. Or just get the ECU and TCU tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I can't say for sure honestly what it might be, my TCU is APR tuned and has been for the past 33k miles. Has it always done this, or just an all of a sudden thing?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 122 Posts