VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the states to pick up some summer wheels/tires. Then we stopped at a service center off the highway and we decided to put them on. That's when the problem started. We went to take off the stock POS rims with the winters on them, and the did not want to come off. (Yes, all the bolts were removed). After 10-15 minutes of kicking, car was on the stock jack so it was pretty scary, finally the rim fell off. So it took us about 1h 15min to switch all four corners
. The americans though we were crazy and gave us these
looks.
What do you do to prevent this???

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Re: How to prevent rims from getting stuck to the hub. (gregosh)

u might want to try apllying some " never seize " paste. its ususally a grey in colour. expensive but u do not need much per application.
your rim was probably stuck due to rusting together, if not that, then YOU have messed up rims.
CT sells the paste. the top has a built in brush attached

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yes anti-sieze compound works nicely. I actually prefer the copper coloured stuff for wheel applications, it seems to hold up a bit better. I buy the permatex brand. I use the finer silver compound for spark plugs in aluminum heads and for under the hood components...the stuff is readily available at any parts store, can tire, wal mart, who knows where else. BTW, DOn't apply it to the wheel bolts, they will not stay torqued accurately, instead clean the threads on the bolts once in awhile with a rag and a bit of solvent or gently on a wire brush, being careful not to remove too much material!

Modified by vwmattsmith at 3:43 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
yup matt has the idea... put some anti-sieze on there... will help come time for the switch back....alumminum and steel don't werk well toghter specialy in the winter..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Re: (lightsandsirens)

I like to use wheel bearing grease because it doesn't dry up and turn to powder as anti-seize sometimes does.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Re: (independent77)

Use anti seize between wheel changes. Be sure to use a wire brush or metal grade sand paper (fine grit) to remove rust. I use the copper coloured stuff. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Re: (lightsandsirens)

Quote, originally posted by lightsandsirens »
I used a small ammount of white grease around the hub.
Never had a problem getting my rims off.

That's what I do as well. In addition I also clean off the rust a little with some light sanding. Seems to work well, never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Re: (Red Baron Golf)

I always put some white grease on the hub - never had a problem getting them off yet.
I started doing it after it was late august and the summer tires had rusted to the hub after only a few months (probably from many washings
)
Anyways works like a charm.. just swing by crappy tire.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Re: (vwmattsmith)

Quote, originally posted by vwmattsmith »
BTW, DOn't apply it to the wheel bolts, they will not stay torqued accurately,

I've applied a very little amount to the tip of the bolt threads, say 1/2" max, that way it works its way up while being installed. basically using the dry brush application technique. It helps to keep the threads from rusting, and will prevent stuck bolts. I also use a torque wrench and have never had any problems. applied torque remains.
Something about torquing.....
when applying a torque value, if u do not have an antiseize compound applied on the friction surfaces, ie - the threads, and bolt sealing surface, be it conical or flat or whatever, YOU WILL lose some of the APPLIED torque value to the un wanted friction, meaning you will have less applied than what on the dial.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts