VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to the MIVE Bell Isle Chilifest yesterday and I saw my GTI flip from 115k miles to 125k miles. The 10k position on the ODO seems to be rotating at a ratio of once per 20 miles driven. The rest of the number positions seem to work OK By the time I got home my car had 135k miles on it!

What can I do to officially document the miles on my car? Do I just accept the fact that my ODO died and just let it spin? Get a replacement cluster?
The GTI had ~104k miles on it before I pulled the engine. I haven't put more than 1k miles on it since I got it running again... ARRGH!

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: How to put 20,000 miles on a car in one day - or what to do when your ODO dies! (Skaven)

welcome to the world of VDO

obin

·
Premium Member
54,686 Posts
Re: How to put 20,000 miles on a car in one day - or what t ... (Obin Robinson)

VDO?
whats that...
*rubs his Motometer gauges*

yet, if I pull the fuse for my speedometer... the odometer stops working...
*looks around*
*pulls the fuse*

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Re: How to put 20,000 miles on a car in one day - or what to do when your ODO dies! (Skaven)

I've had good success with reclocking faulty odos when repairing them. You've probably got a gear bound up on the main shaft. Get a junk speedo and take it apart (to do so you'll have to drill a few holes in the side casing to remove the pivot shafts) so you know how they work. Then take yours aparts and fix it. When you're done just it back to an appropriate amount.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: How to put 20,000 miles on a car in one day - or what to do when your ODO dies! (CanuckPal)

Quote, originally posted by CanuckPal »
LOL! I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

I was thinking of just letting it spin and when it gets to 995k miles I could submit it to guiness or something... perhaps VW will give me something for the highest mileage GTI!
LOL

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

My odometer subtracted 10K miles when my battery died once. Strange.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: How to put 20,000 miles on a car in one day - or what t ... (Chapel)

Quote, originally posted by Chapel »
VDO?
whats that...
*rubs his Motometer gauges*

Motometer... aaaah, i couldn't help but laugh when i noticed that the only gauge that worked 100% properly in my Scirocco 16V was made by Motometer. all the VDO ones had a mind of their own.
obin

·
Registered
5,056 Posts

the odo in my old scirocco jumped from 123k to 1-halfway inbetween 6 and 7-3 all of a sudden. made me

·
Registered
29,209 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

Motometer... aaaah, i couldn't help but laugh when i noticed that the only gauge that worked 100% properly in my Scirocco 16V was made by Motometer. all the VDO ones had a mind of their own.
obin

You think that's bad? You need to treat yourself to a Lucas equipped car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts