VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may sound idiotic and ignorant but I'm getting ready to buy my first car and I've been drooling over the 20th Anniv. GTI. I've read about people putting down deposits on the car and I would like to know how that works.
Do you put down a deposit and haggle over the price when the car arrives or do you agree on a price before you put down the deposit? Or do you have to pay whatever the dealer tells you? How is the deposit amount determined? Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (a10thunder)

it's easy, just go to the delearship and work out a price with him, when u agree on a price tell him wanna put a deposit down either 500 or $1000 he'll give you a recepit for the deposit and on it, it will have the price he agreed to sell you the car minus the deposit....which is refundable if u dont want the car when you actually see it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (a10thunder)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Do you put down a deposit and haggle over the price when the car arrives or do you agree on a price before you put down the deposit? Or do you have to pay whatever the dealer tells you? How is the deposit amount determined? Thanks.[HR][/HR]​
1. Unfortunately with the 337/20th/R32 there most likely will be no haggling over price. MSRP will probably be what you will pay since the amount of cars made will be limited.
2. Deposit amount is usually specified by the dealer. I put down $300 for my 337, but others had to put down $500-$1,000.
3. Get EVERYTHING in writing, including whether the deposit will be refunded or not.
Good Luck in your chioce.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (IMZ14U337)

quote:[HR][/HR]if u dont want the car when you actually see it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
I'd say that it is best to avoid this scenario...if you are getting a 20AE...take a regular GTI 1.8T for a test drive. More than one if you need to. It will give you a good idea of the sort of power/response that you'll be getting from a 20AE. The feel of the shifter is almost identical, as well. The biggest differences will be in the handling, turn-in and braking. Just imagine the car with all three significantly improved. If it still doesn't float your boat....skip putting the money down and start looking at other cars.
If you're looking at getting an R32...that's a togher nut...there is nothing currently offered by VW in the US that is even close to an R32. Best bet there is to just know if it will be the sort of car that you'll like. I knew that I wanted a 337 when I saw a blurb about one in European Car. It wasn't really a very tough choice for me. Good luck.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (3VWMAN)

quote:[HR][/HR]1. Unfortunately with the 337/20th/R32 there most likely will be no haggling over price. MSRP will probably be what you will pay since the amount of cars made will be limited.[HR][/HR]​
It should be interesting to see if this holds true. With over 3X the amount of 337s being produced, I'd bet some will sit on a dealer lot long enough to get them to come down $1,000. And boy then you'll hear some pissed off 337 owner - "You got all the extra stuff for the same price!?!?!" - I can hardly wait...

EZ

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (rexxmann)

IMHO, the feel of the 6speed tranny is a lot smoother. Drive the 1.8T GTI to get an overall feel for the car, but you must drive the VR6 to get a feel for how it shifts... You'll be very pleased.
Also, try to get the car for under MSRP... times are tough, and places need the business.

[Modified by gweedo, 8:27 AM 2-1-2003]

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (gweedo)

When I put the down payment on the car I did everything over the phone. I called up was like do you have any. They said yes I said heres my credit card info charhge the deposit and fax me the info. They figured it all out sent me the purchase order and I was good to go never stepped into the dealer until the day I picked the car up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: How to put down a deposit? (Joe'sGTI337)

same thing here...
I bought my 337 over the phone from Europe.....
without ever even seeing it in person!

I knew that's what I wanted....
the dealer didn't even charge me deposit....just faxed me info and I faxed it back....

[Modified by brab, 11:13 AM 2-1-2003]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.