VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help i just bought a 84 rabbit 1.6 liter carbed(factory set up), an i want to go with a 16v carbed set up. I waould like to get all the help i could on doing the swap. Wich 16v engine would be better to use(thinking a scirocco set up would be the best way). Please help.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: How to??? question. I bought a 84 carbed rabbit 1.6l, want to put a 16v carbed (panfilo123)

Quote, originally posted by panfilo123 »
Please help.

please search.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to??? question. I bought a 84 carbed rabbit 1.6l, want to put a 16v carbed (vdubspeed)

i did theres a bunch of help in fuel injected to 16v , diesel to 16v. and everything in between. But i couldnt find anyhting on a stock 1.6 carbed to a 16v carbed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
haven't done it but my guess is if you are set up for carbs just throw the 16v in there with the carbs and the hardest part would be that you might need to wire up a knock box or find some type of vacum advance 16v distributor.
check the technical forums ITB/carb section

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: How to??? question. I bought a 84 carbed rabbit 1.6l, want to put a 16v carbed (panfilo123)

well that's fairly simple isn't it?
You need every same thing whut u need for every engine swap:
engine, fuel pump, brakes and wiring.
After you've done that go from there and mount carbs and whutever

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

it can be any 16v it doesnt matter(I would go with a 2.0L 16v from a passat ect)
you need:
carbs
16v carb manifold
I would do a msd ignition(I did)
linkage
fuel pressure regulator(to be on the safe side set at 4psi)
your fuel pump should be be good enough if your car aready has carbs
the setup is a good combo and sounds so sick

Modified by GTI 2.0 at 6:43 PM 4-19-2006

·
Registered
7,360 Posts

Should be a 1.7L if it is an 84 stock carb and the engine has not been swapped. Got a pic of the bay?
With a 2.0L 16v and you will need to install an electric fuel pump, since I don't think there is a provision for a mechanical fuel pump on the block.
I am going to guess that if you use a 1.8L 16v engine from a mk2 GLI or Scirocco, the mechanical fuel pump hole is in the block and you can simply transfer your mechanical pump to it.
If you also get a CIS-e knock sensor ignition setup, you can use that as your ignition system, for the 1.8L or the 2.0L.
Might be less expensive to get a mk2 16v donor car if you go with a 1.8L, then you have the engine, the ks setup, distributor, and other nice add-ons like sway bars, rear discs, stonger tranny and 100mm axles.
Spend some time in the Carb forum, lots of valuable information in there and you might get more help there, too. Spend lots of time researching, first.

Modified by chickenfriend at 8:10 AM 4-22-2006

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Re: How to??? question. I bought a 84 carbed rabbit 1.6l, want to put a 16v carbed (chickenfriend)

go to the technical forum and click on the itp/carb part there is a FAQ in there that will give you better advice.
I'm running a 16v on dual dcoes and got all the valuable info from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.