VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.
I have this great idea of reupholstering my interior trim pieces A, B, C, and headliner as a home quarantine project. lol I have checked youtube but no videos show the same adhesive left overs like what i am experiencing. I have attached pictures of the A pillar that I have ripped the fabric off from and it left this adhesive leftover on the trim. I have went over it with a wirebrush but with no success. Any idea on how to remove this stuff? I want to practice on the trim pieces first before doing the headliner. I have bought a used set of A and B pillar trim that is in my car in the meantime for a good price so in case i mess up, i have a backup.

On the C pillar trim, there are these plastic screws that what appears to have been melted since i do live in vegas. Should i just break these and say F it?

and this one is to hold the trunk cover but on one side, it has already broken off, so i guess i dont really care about it.

is there something i can spray on it to loosen up this adhesive or will i need to get a dremel and work at it little by little?
Thanks!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Acetone will definitely eat plastic if left on too long. A quick wipe with it on a clean rag and following up with soap or citrus degreaser should prevent any permanent damage. Both IPA and acetone can quickly discolor the items too. Try soaking the pillar trim pieces is bot soapy water. If that does not work, then try heat (blow dryer or heat gun) to loosen the adhesive and wiping it off with a citrus degreaser, then try IPA or acetone as a last resort.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Acetone will definitely eat plastic if left on too long.
Thanks,
Yeah this stuff wasn't mean to come off, hence why there's so little on this floating around. Difficult in the winter too, so going to wait until the summer when ambient temps are in the 100s here. I've found soaking the remaining glue in coconut oil, letting sit overnight and then scraping with a metal putty knife at a 90 degree angle works, but can leave scratches if the knife isn't wide enough (corner digs in) and may begin to scrape away some of the pillar plastic if too aggressive. But a final sanding should fix all that. Going to retry in the summer. My tan cloth is soo damn dirty, dying it wont get it as black as the rest of the interior removing this material is a pain so, I think just covering over the oem cloth is the best bet.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I suggest careful application of heat with a heat gun on the low setting, or even a hair dryer. After the adhesivle softens up use a plastic spatula to scrape as much of it off. I went through this procedure (heat & scraper) to remove some very old nasty stone guards from my Porsche. It was a very long and tedious process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts