VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how to remove front bumper help Very urgent!!

I need to know how to take off my front bumoer without breaking anything, Does anyone know what tools i need and how to do this? I found some posts searching and they arent what im looking for, i also checked audiworld and didnt come up with much either. Thanks!

Modified by Formerly 04GLIJON at 8:52 AM 9/16/2007

Modified by Formerly 04GLIJON at 8:53 AM 9/16/2007

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: how to remove front bumper help Very urgent!! (Formerly 04GLIJON)

All you need is a 6mm alen to remove the front 2 bolts that are located behind the side grills. Then you just need to pop the sides out since there are just 2 tabs that hold the side of the bumper to part of the fender. There are a few ways you can do the sides. You can just try to pop it out by hand, you can wedge a screw driver in to the top or there is a slit in the wheel liner that you can slide a screw driver thru to get between the 2 parts of the tab to pop it loose. Once you get one tab off the other will just come out as you move the bumper.

·
17,317 Posts
Re: how to remove front bumper help Very urgent!! (Audi2ptzero)

Whoa, I think you're sending the wrong message there. I'm picturing him trying to pop it off with the screwdriver and breaking things. Skip the screwdriver and any "popping" of parts off other parts. Since we're talking about not breaking anything let's talk about the entire process.
First drop off your belly pan, by removing the bolts under the car AND in the wheel well.
Second take out your lower grilles and fogs using your favorite methods and undo the washer nozzles.
Third, remove the allen bolts from just above where the fogs/outside grilles were.
Fourth, go to the wheel well and grab the edge of the bumper. Pull it towards the rear of the car, then lift. You'll feel one clip release. Then push down (still pulling back) and it will release the other set of clips.
Repeat the process on the other side. try not to drop your bumper.
Now your bumper is off, and there was no jamming of screwdrivers anywhere or "popping" things off clips that could break.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: how to remove front bumper help Very urgent!! (robbyb413)

LOL, I used the flat head screw driver to pop off the sides of the bumper off all the time. It isn't like there is anything to break over there, you just use the screw driver to help push the top of the bumper down so it can pop out. The only thing he could do is scratch the part of the fender that is behind the bumper and putting a towel or covering the screw driver with tape will keep that from happening.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Re: how to remove front bumper help Very urgent!! (izzo)

Yeah, mine definitely took some "oomph" to get off. I was really scared at first, but don't worry. With a little elbow grease and a lot of patience, it should come off no problem.
APR has a pretty good instruction on how to take off the front bumper (inside the snub mount installation instructions) on their website.
Here is the link: http://www.goapr.com/Audi/support/snub_mount.pdf

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW guys thinks for all the replies. My main reason for taking off the bumper was because the sides of the bumper that should line up with the fenders does not. there is a good 3/4 inch gap and i cant seem the get the sides of the bumper any higer no matter how hard i push or pull. It seems like the clips on the sides are lined up the only way they can go. Any ideas. Ill try to post a pic tomm but its pretty easy to picture.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: (Formerly 04GLIJON)

Quote, originally posted by Formerly 04GLIJON »
WOW guys thinks for all the replies. My main reason for taking off the bumper was because the sides of the bumper that should line up with the fenders does not. there is a good 3/4 inch gap and i cant seem the get the sides of the bumper any higer no matter how hard i push or pull. It seems like the clips on the sides are lined up the only way they can go. Any ideas. Ill try to post a pic tomm but its pretty easy to picture.

Where the front bolts go in the holders spin up/down to allow for adjustement of how the bumper sits. Check the gap between the front of the bumper and the head lights. If there is too little of a gap the fromt of the bumper might be set too high causing a large gap between the fender and bumper like you say you have. Since the sides of the bumpers just clip in, when you adjust the front of the bumper lower the ends of the bumper on the sides will raise up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont see where ya are talking about. I have the car in for inspection today and im going to have the body shop look at it, there is also an alignment issue with the sides of the fenders and the hood. ill let you know what they find. Thanks for the info!

·
17,317 Posts
Re: (Formerly 04GLIJON)

The bumper sits on two shocks kinda like this one...

The silver part there that the bolt goes through... spins. Play with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
removing the front bumper

i read the diy on replace the snub mount and im still having some trouble removing the front bumper. i have everything off and all the bolts are removed but the bumper just slides forward and backward it will not detach is there a secret or am i just missing something. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Re: removing the front bumper (a4b5guy28)

push down on the side of the bumper and as your pushing down pull it out towards you, it will unlock from the plastic rails it sits on, do the same on the other side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: removing the front bumper (4Rings v2.0)

hey thanks alot all that was great help ive been playing with it all night and just called around to some body shops and the dealer none of them wanted to help me they all just wanted me to take the car in to them so they can do it. so thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts