VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: how to remove my handbrake lever? (helpmeplease)

I recently replaced my black leather ebrake cover with a 25th anniversary version. I consider myself a patient carefull person but after about 15 minutes struggling to get the stock one off it developed a rip so I cut it off. I looked at it afterwards and even with the Bentley manual - I'm not sure it would have been possible to remove it.

Putting the new cover on was a piece of cake...it just slips on but I did have the console out because I was installing the whole 25th anniversary kit. I think you can do it without taking out the console though.

[Modified by AVW, 9:43 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Re: how to remove my handbrake lever? (helpmeplease)

Yes you need to remove the old one first. When the handle is up as far as possible and you look on the bottom of the grip part you will see a small tab. Carefully use a small screwdriver to pry the tab down and pull the handle at that same time. This should get the old one off. The new just slides on and clicks in place. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Re: how to remove my handbrake lever? (AVW)

Removing the handbrake cover (non-leather) is easy. First, pull up the parking brake as far as it will go (don't break it, just try to give yourself some room to work with). There's a little tab near where your pinky finger would be when you grab the handbrake normally. Get a screwdriver and pry that tab outwards. Once you've pried the tab far enough, you'll be able to slide the whole cover right off. The tab locks the cover on, so just pry and pull. It should come off fairly easily. As for removing the leather cover -- I still have no idea, even after removing my entire handbrake assembly. I think the leather cover isn't designed to come off once you've stuck it on...
Hope this helps,
nimhrat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.