VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to remove the rear defrost elements on the rear window of my hatch. i am trying with a razer blade but its not coming off. has anyone else done this? how is it done?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (quicka2golf)

I was going to say razor blade.
How about some steel wool?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts

i'm in interested in this as well for my rabbit.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (scottba2gti)

i'm trying doing it with a razer blade right now and it only takes off a top layer of the element . it still doesnt completly take it off!
anyone done this before! next i'll use a hammer!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Very fine steel wool is excellent for cleaning residue, overspray, etc..., from glass. Think the number is 0000 or something like that. I've used it to clean all my windows and they look mint.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (ubercrap)

i can clean my windows just fine.
i want to get rid of the defrost lines. im about to give up

·
Registered
3,685 Posts

i've heard it's not worth it. it ends up looking worse than when you started. but i haven't tried it, so i can't tell you for sure. i know you can buy the glass w/o defrost crap on it, but i'm guessing you don't want to spend that kind of cash.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Re: (SchweetMk2)

Quote, originally posted by SchweetMk2 »
Why would you want to remove the lines?

Because you don't have a heater, etc. Smoother look, etc.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (ubercrap)

Quote, originally posted by ubercrap »
Very fine steel wool is excellent for cleaning residue, overspray, etc..., from glass. Think the number is 0000 or something like that. I've used it to clean all my windows and they look mint.

not trying to highjack the thread or anything, but would really fine steel woll be able to take off vynel dye overspray??

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Re: (SchweetMk2)

I understand, I was just replying to set the record straight that fine steel wool not only doesn't hurt the glass, it cleans and polishes it. You still might give it a try it you've already scraped the defroster lines off to some degree.

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
I doubt MEK would even touch it as nasty as it is... but damn do ya get a nice high from it
real fine steel wool gets my vote.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: (Pred)

Quote, originally posted by Pred »
I doubt MEK would even touch it as nasty as it is... but damn do ya get a nice high from it
real fine steel wool gets my vote.

I still would try it... Maybe in combo with the steel wool.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (scottba2gti)

steel wool will f*** the glass up....your a complete idiot....i detail cars and use steel wool on a daily basis....dumbasses like you who use the gritty stuff im sure youd be messing the glass up...use a fine grit.....you should look into a the subject before offering adivce, this way you realize you have no idea what you are talking about...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (Red89GTi16v)

Red89GTi16v said:
Dr. Bullsh!t...QUOTE]
I highly doubt that you're a doctor buddy. Why'd you just come of flaming the people that were trying to help? All you did was jump in and critisize their suggestions yet you didn't make a suggestion of you own? Maybe the Doctor who details cars could tell us exactly how to remove the rear heating element.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Re: how to remove the rear defrost elements? (xhybrid_dubx)

Whoa, settle down there guys. I think he was replying to the guy that said steel wool will mess up the glass. I wouldn't call him an idiot, but ignorant, yes. Like it or not the "doctor"
is right, and anyway, I already said you should use the very fine stuff (I got this tip from a buddy that used to work at a body shop)

Have a pleasant day gentlemen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts