VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated, i need to remove the tint off my windows to pass the car through inspection (got pulled over)
Just trying to get advice from people who have done it before.....what is the easiest/cleanest way to take it off??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
what you talkin' bout Willis :p

I'm guessing the Audio forum probably isn't quite the best place for this question.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: How to remove tint?!?! (FUsBORAglxVR6)

Do yourself a favor and pay a tint shop to remove it. When I had to sell my last car, I tried to take the tint off myself -- big mistake. After two hours of scraping and peeling and using every solvent I could think of, I had removed barely half the drivers window. If your tint has been on for any period of time it really gets cooked onto the glass. For $60 the tint shop had it off, all the adhesive off the glass and it only took them about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts
Re: How to remove tint?!?! (Black_MkIV)

I second Black_MkIV, It is a PITA removing that stuff.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Re: How to remove tint?!?! (green01GTI)

i peeled the tint off then used amonia...it came right off..the amonia takes all the sticky stuff off!..well thats what i did

·
Registered
946 Posts
Re: How to remove tint?!?! (gmrocco16v)

yeah, removing tint is a serious PITA. my scirocco had this purple tint that had been on there for who knows how long. I used a hairdryer to soften the adhesive up a little bit, and then with a little help from a razor blade got most of it to peel off in one piece. Then I used a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water and my friend the razor blade again to get rid of the adhesive. it came off pretty well, but two months later i still see little bits of adhesive in certain light that i have to get off...
gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts