VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing some work on my 16v head and I decided it was time to quit with the screwing around and just take the valve guides out. with them in, the valve bowl can be tricky or nearly impossible to port properly

so here's how I did it without taking it to a machine shop and without buying any special tools

1: here's the valve guide. i've already removed the cams, valve seals, springs, retainers, blah blah etc, so these were the last thing still attached to the head casting. this is looking at the guides from the valve seat side, not the cam side. ALWAYS REMOVE THE GUIDES PUSHING FROM THIS SIDE, the tapered valve guide end should leave the head LAST.

2: find a nice short allen key bolt that has a thread width that will fit inside the valve guide more or less snuggly, and with a head NO BIGGER than the radius of the guide. make sure to remove any washers around the bolt, if it's even slightly larger than the guide it can damage the casting. i think this bolt is from a 16v's front water neck

3: plop it in the hole (that's what she said?)

4: get the corresponding allen key bit on the end of a long extension and seat it in the bolt firmly. hold it straight up and down, firmly.

5: grab a nice heavy hammer (i used a ball peen hammer) and give it a few good whacks. remember to hold the bit FIRMLY and STRAIGHT. the first hit may feel like it just rebounds back and doesn't move, but after the 2nd or 3rd hit you should feel it start to move. hit lighter as you feel the guide easing up as it exits the hole.

DONE :thumbup: now do the rest of them

if you slightly damage the guide boss end in the process, don't worry to much about it. as long as the hole that holds the guide in place is the same shape it should be fine. if for some stupid reason you did this wrong and you still tried to remove the guide from the cam side, and you damaged the spring seat area, the head is garbage now. so don't do it.

:wave:

DO NOT PUT NEW GUIDES IN THE SAME WAY
you will damage them, most definitely. unfortunately if you don't have the proper special tool and something like an air hammer for that, you'll have to take it to a machine shop. but at least this saves you a trip and a little money :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.