VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. long-time lurker, first-time poster.

AFAIK, the mounts on my 1991 GL are original. Car bucks quite a bit on/off throttle at almost all gears and RPMs, thought I would give these a go as I am already replacing control arms and CV axles so I'll be in there.

I got the solid mounts kit from URO tuning- Solid Rubber Engine Mount Kit for VW Mk2 Golf | Jetta
So let me know if they are terrible or whatever.

The reason I am asking how to replace these is that I have read on this forum that you have to do all sorts of crazy stuff, like removing power steering lines, using an engine hoist, etc. And that the rear mounts are a major PITA which I don't doubt. I started working on cars a year ago, and am average at best, just being honest. I have done the timing belt and water pump as well as a million other items, so I have some semblance of skill. I would greatly appreciate a detailed explanation of how to do the job, with pictures if possible. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,781 Posts
I saw that- it's a good video for the first two but it's the trans mount that I'm looking for. Thanks!
I gotcha I’ll look around for a diy you would of thought there would be a diy for both but I didn’t see any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you have the trans in place then you need to unbolt the trans mount from the bell housing with a 13mm socket. Then you can get to the rear trans mount easily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would suggest picking up one of these. Makes any transmission and engine mount work much easier and it really isn't all that much money. Also recommend getting some extra long extensions along with a swivel joint for those extensions. I will also recommend some pry bars and alignment bars as it will make bolting things back at the end a lot easier.

Depending on if anyone has been in there before and which way they put the bolts back in for the transmission support bracket will determine how much you'll need to move the engine around.

I don't remember having issues with power steering lines being too much in the way but my last one had abs and that was a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would suggest picking up one of these. Makes any transmission and engine mount work much easier and it really isn't all that much money. Also recommend getting some extra long extensions along with a swivel joint for those extensions. I will also recommend some pry bars and alignment bars as it will make bolting things back at the end a lot easier.

Depending on if anyone has been in there before and which way they put the bolts back in for the transmission support bracket will determine how much you'll need to move the engine around.

I don't remember having issues with power steering lines being too much in the way but my last one had abs and that was a pain.

At this point in my life, I consider 100 dollars expensive... Thanks for the idea, and If it comes to it I'll give it a try. Currently, the plan is to jack the engine/trans from under the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Did the job, and IMO one of these is completely unnecessary. Block o' wood and a jack did just fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.