VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Phaeton is equipped with the power opening and closing trunk lid (production code 4E7). This is a nifty little option that raises and lowers the trunk lid hydraulically when the drivers presses the appropriate button on the car. My wife likes it, because she is kind of short and this makes it easier to close the trunk lid.
Anyway - this gadget stopped working a few weeks ago. It kind of died a slow death - at first, the power open and close function became intermittent but we could still operate the trunk lid manually, and eventually, the whole thing died, which meant that the electrically operated trunk latch would not engage when the trunk lid was closed. Although the lid stayed in the closed position, the annunciator light in the instrument panel was always on, indicating that the latch was not engaged.
I dropped by my VW dealer to ask for some help, and they did a diagnostic scan of my Phaeton. This returned a fault code stored in the J605 Trunk Lid Control Module, which is a slave controller to the J393 Central Control Module for the Comfort System (you can see the Phaeton convenience system network topology at this post: Convenience System Controllers). The fault code stored was "00317 - Rear Lid Control Module (J605) 014 - Defective", which was pretty definitive. So, the Phaeton technician at my VW dealer ordered a new control module. It showed up 3 days later, and he sent me an email inviting me to drop by whenever I wanted, because it would not take very long to replace this part.
He was kind enough to allow me to take some pictures of the part and the disassembly process, here they are, in step by step format, in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.
1) Lower the big panel in the 'roof' of the trunk compartment, to allow you to get access to all the electronic controllers.
This panel is held in place by 9 Torx head screws. 7 of the screws are around the perimeter of the panel, 2 are located in the middle of the panel. The screws are all covered with a black flock finish, to match the panel, and finding the screws is a bit like looking for a black cat in a coal mine at night. You need quite a bright worklight to find them.
When you have all the screws removed, the panel will lower. It is hinged at its forward edge.

2) Remove and replace the controller module.
This is very quick and easy, it is 'plug and play'. Like most other control modules in the Phaeton, it is easiest to remove the electrical connector first, then physically remove the module. When installing the new module, put it in place first, then plug it in second.
The first hint we had that things were going well was when the trunk lights illuminated as soon as the new controller was installed. It seems that operation of the trunk lights, as well as latch operation, raising and lowering the trunk lid, and pinch protection are all controlled from the J605 module.

3) Adapt the new module, so it knows the position of the trunk lid when it is fully open and fully closed.
Most controller modules in the Phaeton need to be 'adapted' whenever a new control module is installed. Adaptation is the process of familiarizing the module with the signals coming from the components that it controls, so that it can properly operate them. It's exactly the same process as what you do when you set new tire pressures in your TPMS - what you are doing is 'adapting' the TPMS to the new pressures, so it knows what the acceptable range is.
To adapt the J605 module, open address 46 (the J393 Central Control Module for the Comfort System), select function 10, adaptation, and go to channel 22. Close the trunk lid (it won't latch, but put it in the fully closed position) and then re-enter 0 (zero) as the adaptation value. Next, move the trunk lid to the fully open position, go to channel 23, and re-enter 0 (zero) as the adaptation value. Now you have defined the extreme limits of movement of the trunk lid, and the new module will work perfectly.
It is important to note that the new module will not work at all unless you adapt it. This is not mentioned in the Phaeton service manual, because it is assumed to be common knowledge for every control module. Also, note that you cannot directly address the J605 module, because it is a slave to the J393. This is why you open the J393 controller (address 46) when you want to adapt the trunk lid control module.
Anyway - the trunk lid now works perfectly. It was a quick and easy fix.
Michael

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to replace the J605 Trunk Lid Control Module (Maxt2)

Quote, originally posted by Maxt2 »
...are you connected to VWoA in any way, PanEuropean?

No, not in any way at all, however remote. I like VW products, and have owned 7 others (Golfs and Jettas) before I bought my Phaeton. I am fascinated by the quality of the Phaeton - the careful thought that went into the design and engineering, the amazing build quality, and how well the car performs. I also like taking it apart and putting it back together again.
I am also very fortunate to have a wonderful VW dealer, where all the staff share my enthusiasm. When I call up to make a service appointment, their first question is usually "Would you like us to do the service for you, or would you prefer to do it yourself in your favorite work-bay?"
By profession, I am an aircraft pilot and engineer, and the aviation safety manager for a large humanitarian organization.
Michael

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trunk Adaptation on existing control module?

Michael,

I realize that this is an old thread, however I am having trunk open and close issues. I tried resetiing as described in other threads to no avail. Could the original Control Module ever need re-adapted? The reason I ask is that under the Vag-Com, when I test the trunk lid, it works with no problem. When I remove the Vag and use the key, door switch, or the microswitch, it acts as though it never worked before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could the original Control Module ever need re-adapted?
Yes, for sure. Just open up the label file for controller 46 (the trunk lid control module is a slave controller to the central comfort control module, which is 46) and read the instructions for adaptation contained in the label file. I wrote them myself... :p

The label file for that control module is entitled "3D0-959-933.lbl", and it is probably located at the path "C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels" on your computer. It is a simple text file, open it up with any text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad.

Michael

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually took the thread advise and reprogrammed the key fob. This has worked so far. Imagine pulling the trunk up manually for the past 6 months because I was too lazy to start reading threads! It is still working:thumbup: If this fails, I may reprogram.

I can now once again have my 5 year old son stand behind the car and say "Phaeton" into the emblem to get the truck to open. He gets a big kick out of thinking his voice is programmed to do this and has no idea I have the keyfob in my hand. Its good laugh and makes me smile everytime he does it:D

Thanks once again for the advise.

Mike

·
Registered
499 Posts
In reading through this label (I am also having a trunk-not-opening situation), I ran across one Measured Value Block that I had to do a double-take:

028,0,Emergency Signals relating to trunk operation
028,1,E406 - New Jersey,escape handle,Possible display: operated/not operated/not installed - (only applies to basic lock)
028,2,Pinch signal,trunk,Possible display: operated/not operated/implausable signal/not installed - (only applies to basic lock)
028,3,Position of,trunk lid,Range: Between 0 degrees and about 30 degrees - 30 is closed
028,4,Nationality of,body in trunk,Possible display:Italian/Russian/Colombian/ex-wife/Jimmy Hoffa/no body detected

:p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trunk Module cost?

Michael,

I have run into some issues with my trunk. The lock mechanism got stuck in locked position and the trunk would not fully close. For the pat year of so I have been taking to a local shop to do oil changes, etc since neither VW dealer in San Antonio would work on it (no certified tech) and I'd have to go to Austin (80 miles) to the dealer there. So they fixed the trunk latch assembly ($400 + labor), but after the replacement they could not get the trunk release, key fob, or emblem button on trunk to work. I would only work via inserting the key into the trunk. I used the trunk twice (manually with the key), second time it totally locked up and I could not get into the trunk. And it was ticking like a time bomb and every so often you could hear the new latch mechanism clicking. It did this even when the car was off and no key around so I took it back in. Now they think it is the trunk module, which they say needs to come from the dealer to program, etc which they cannot do. Only took 2 weeks to get this answer (separate frustration/discussion). Luckily, Rod East one of the dealers in San Antonio agreed to look at it. How much will a trunk module set me back before I run to the dealer? Also any other thoughts? My wife is on the verge of making me get rid of it. It has been a real pain to get it serviced in SA. A few months ago it took a month to get 3 windows fixed about someone tried breaking into it or vandalize my poor phaeton.

Also I think he said he could only get the trunk module to come up on the vag-com once before it would lock up

Troy

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hello Troy:

The trunk lid control module is a slave controller to controller 46, the Central Control for Comfort System. To the best of my knowledge, it does not need any "programming", it is just a remove and replace operation.

The controller needs to be adapted once it is installed, but the adaptation deals with the minute differences in physical dimensions and friction that exist from one trunk lid to another (one car to another). That is identical in concept to adapting power windows. The adaptation can be carried out with a VAG-COM (VCDS) scan tool, and is fully described in the notes contained in label file. Look for the label file on the computer that is used for the scan tool, it will be in a folder called Ross-Tech located at the root level of the drive, the file name is 3D0-959-933.lbl. Label files are nothing more than text files, so, open the file with Notepad and read it.

Towards the bottom of that label file (about 90% of the way to the end) you will find the following:

A022,0,Adaptation of J605 controller (motorized trunk lid) - closed position
;
A023,0,Adaptation of J605 controller (motorized trunk lid) - open position
;
;Remark: The above two functions are used whenever a new J605 controller is installed.
;Once the J605 has been adapted, it can usually be re-adapted (if it becomes confused, for example,
;by activation of pinch protection, or changing direction in the middle of a cycle) by simply moving
;- by hand - the trunk lid to the fully open position, then pressing the 'trunk lid release' button
;on the key fob remote, and observing that the two tail-lights blink in recognition. Once that is done,
;the trunk lid can then be closed by pressing the close button located on the bottom lip of the trunk lid.
;It should not be necessary to have to use a scan tool to re-adapt a confused trunk lid mechanism.
;
A024,0,Adaptation of J605 controller (motorized trunk lid) - Range of Motion
A24,05,This procedure is used to allow the hydraulic trunk lid mechanism to learn
A24,06,the full range of motion available to it. Follow these steps:
A24,07, 1 - Start the engine and leave it running for the duration of the procedure.
A24,08, 2 - Place the trunk lid in the two-thirds open position.
A24,09, 3 - Make sure there are no objects or cables in the way of the trunk lid closing.
A24,10, 4 - WARNING - Pinch Protection is inhibited during this adaptation procedure!
A24,11, 5 - Enter, test, and save a value of 0 (zero) in channel 24.
A24,12, 6 - The lid will open fully, then close fully. Stay out of its way!
A24,13, The adaptation procedure is now complete.

You might want to try doing this before you buy a new control module. It is possible that simply re-adapting your J605 will solve the problem. When the J605 broke on my car, it gave a very clear fault code: "J605 defective", or words to that effect.

Michael

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello, could this adaptation need to be done if the batteries are disconnected for several days? My on tech package trunk will pop open if I hit either the key fob or switch in the driver door. But when I press the trunk closed, I don't hear that mechanical closing locking noise. It stays closed just fine but whatever that noise is (maybe a second more secure hook) doesn't happen. The fuse is fine. Thanks.

Jordan.

·
Registered
451 Posts
weirdly I had" trunk"( us brits prefer boot) issue this week. went to Tesco, all ok, came to flick the switch on the drivers for at my mum's and nothing... neither remote blip or microswitch would work. for some reason Windows updates had messed up my vcds from working so I was resigned to a few weeks messing when I got chance. however today I tried something, on pressing the remote unlock I could hear the lock mechanism moving so I " helped" the trunk to rise and it seemed to all sort Itself out again. all options now fully functional...

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello, could this adaptation need to be done if the batteries are disconnected for several days?
Hi Jordan:

I expect so. I know, for sure, that in the case of moving components such as the power windows, power seat, steering wheel, and sunroof, if you have the batteries disconnected for one second, that's long enough to heed to have to re-adapt all these moving parts. I can't imagine that the trunk would be any different.

There is a post in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category) that discusses the adaptation process more thoroughly - just search for the key word 'adapt' (not adaptation) on the FAQ page. I think the post is called "How to Adapt Moving Components".

Michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adapting the controller

Hello!

PanEuropean, do you know a way i can adapt the j605 controller via VAS? I tried everything, but it has only a self adaption menu item, but that does nothing. Is it possible that it can be only adapted via VAG-COM?

Sincerely, Frigyes

·
3,433 Posts
Hi Frigyes,

Welcome to the forum! Michael/PanEuropean is currently away on business, but I can perhaps help.

According to VWoA Technical Bulletin C 55-06-01, the VAS procedure is this:

1. Make sure the batteries are fully charged.
2. Connect VAS 5051 or VAS 5052.
3. Go to address 46 (Convenience module).
4. Manually open the rear lid to the two-thirds open position.
5. Go to 10-adaptation.
6. Enter channel 24 and press enter (Q).
7. Make sure that there are no physical obstructions that will prevent the lid closing.
8. Press 0 and save.
-- The rear lid will now begin to relearn its travel path and latch operation --

I do not have a VAS, so I cannot verify this for you, but please do report back your results.

If the Convenience Controller and Trunk Lid module are both functioning properly and there are no battery or power supply issues (which may well turn out to be the real problem) then simply manually opening the lid part way then using the remote fob to command it to open and close a couple of times will often reset normal operation.

The trunk lid cables will eventually fray on many pre-2009 Phaetons, which can also cause unexpected lid operation.

Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hello, same trunk issue here, V8 2004. Trunk can't be opened from the driver's door nor the key unit yet it opened using the emblem. Checking the vehicle history, battaries were changed twice and the last time the vehicle was towed to the Shop. We'll take a better look today in the Shop and report.

Truely delighted to see all this enthusiasm and assistance that many provide for the new commers like my self.

Regards,

Salah

·
3,433 Posts
Hi Salah,

Welcome to the forum. I can see by your posts that you have been researching your problem here.

There are many threads that will help you, and I expect you will have searched the TOC sticky to find information on how to check and possibly repair the cable loom that enters the trunk lid through the tube and cassette arrangement. The TOC pages are best searched using your browser text search facility, usually by pressing Ctrl-F in the browser.

Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
Much appreciated Chris. I think I got two hours of sleep since last night all due to my search :) You guys are the best that I've seen in any forum wither moderators or members.

Salah

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.