VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How-to Replaceing wiper blades on AERO wipers (save $)

Here is how to save money by replacing just the wiper blades on the aero wipers and not replacing the entire arm, as most people seem you have to do. just about any wiper refill will work so choice what ever you like. The procedure was done by vuvision but reproduced for us mk4 people.
Tools needed are needle nose pliers and scissors
Replacement refills, these are from walmart and cost $6.88

Now remove the wiper refill from its holder. Use a needle nose plier to pull off the retaining metal clip and slide out the silicone refill. Discard the metal clip & the plastic holder.

There are two plastic end caps on the Aero Blade, one end has a metal pinch tab that secures the rubber refill, and the other has none. Look for the end with the pinch tab by slide the rubber wiper back & forth, the end that has no movement is the business end. Disregard the free moving end. Another easy way is to look for the end that is near to the notch (see pic below).

Use the pliers and pull of this end of the wiper.

Use the pliers to bend up the metal retaining clip.

The bend clip should look like this.

You are now free to slide out the wiper blade.

Slide in the new blade refill and cut to the proper length.
Push the metal tab back down to secure the new wiper blade in place.

Replace the end cap and you are all done.

Enjoy

Modified by Sawdust at 9:14 PM 2-3-2004

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
is the retaining clip the same one one the aero wiper itself? I ask because if it is then that must suck because metal bent back and forth is bound to fall off and the aero's are like $100.
so then you would have to buy a whole NEW set?

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (GeneH)

Quote, originally posted by GeneH »
is the retaining clip the same one one the aero wiper itself? I ask because if it is then that must suck because metal bent back and forth is bound to fall off and the aero's are like $100.
so then you would have to buy a whole NEW set?

well first off you are bending it like 1/16" its not going to break. and besides up to now everyone has been replacing the entire wiper blade anyway. the only reason they are 100 bucks is because you are buying a new wiper arm too.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Sawdust)

I knew there was a way to do this, but I could never figure it out. Mine wore out after about 6 months, and I tried to replace just the blade. I ended up ordering new ones for $40 from Impex. I'll remember this for next time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

the dealer has them for 25.00 for one side and about thirty for the other side. They have gone down in price. Also if you don't want to replace the wiper blades and you insist on just replacing the rubber inserrts, buy part number 200-955-522 at the dealer. They'll run you about 7.00 for the pair. These inserts are for for the standard blades, but believe me thay fit. VW claims they don't have replacement inserts yet, but these will work just fine.

·
Banned
10,632 Posts
Re: (urspeedracer)

Quote, originally posted by urspeedracer »
the dealer has them for 25.00 for one side and about thirty for the other side. They have gone down in price. Also if you don't want to replace the wiper blades and you insist on just replacing the rubber inserrts, buy part number 200-955-522 at the dealer. They'll run you about 7.00 for the pair. These inserts are for for the standard blades, but believe me thay fit. VW claims they don't have replacement inserts yet, but these will work just fine.

thanks...ill keep that in mind!!!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Has anyone tried this? I hope it works because I definitely do not want to pay $40 for new blades.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (brent0226)

Glad you bumped this up, B. I was just thinking abotu replacing mine while I was driving in the rain tonight. That windshield banner wears the blades out pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Glad you bumped this up, B. I was just thinking abotu replacing mine while I was driving in the rain tonight. That windshield banner wears the blades out pretty fast.

My wipers skip across the windshield.... very annoying.

·
Registered
35,225 Posts

This cant be right. The wipers are 2 different sizes. They would not offer 1 size blade. I am glad to see the first post, as I will need to replace my aero blade some day. But as for this second part. Get up the other part # and then I will believe. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Re: How-to Replaceing wiper blades on AERO wipers (Sawdust)

This is a great write-up cause its getting close to replacement time and I didn't want to pay for a whole new set. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts

Sawdust,
Granted you did mention my name twice on your write up. However, I do not recall granting you permission to use my write up & pictures to use as your own. Plagiarism & ripping off someone else's pics and host them as your own are not exactly the cool things to do. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
This write up was originally posted for my friends in Clubb5 Information forum.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59805
I do not appreciate you taking my work and post it as your own without my consent.
Regards,
Vuvision

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: How-to Replaceing wiper blades on AERO wipers (VUVW)

Quote, originally posted by VUVW »
Sawdust,
Granted you did mention my name twice on your write up. However, I do not recall granting you permission to use my write up & pictures to use as your own. Plagiarism & ripping off someone else's pics and host them as your own are not exactly the cool things to do. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
This write up was originally posted for my friends in Clubb5 Information forum.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59805
I do not appreciate you taking my work and post it as your own without my consent.
Regards,
Vuvision

We are talking a car modification here, not rocket science theory essay.
And i emailed the original poster of this asking if i could use the pictures and never got an answer back. But thats fine the pictures are removed.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: How-to Replaceing wiper blades on AERO wipers (jayrock711)

Quote, originally posted by jayrock711 »
we don't need the pics anyway

I will take my own pics this week, and post them up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Re: (AccordTraitor)

Whoo, someone got their panties in a bunch.

I'm not sure what my chances of getting free ones before I hit 20000 km's is?

·
Registered
942 Posts

Aero blade replacement..I could not get any of the pictures to come through. HELP !! Pictures are nice and I'm gonna "F" it up if I don't have the pics to help me along
send to: [email protected]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: How-to Replaceing wiper blades on AERO wipers (dubberdave)

Click on the post from VUVW, highlight the body of his post, copy and paste into word. Then you'll have something to work from. It's not plagiarism, it's the dissemination of information to the masses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: How-to Replaceing wiper blades on AERO wipers (bramy)

Oops, I just realized the date of this thread....holly thread revival! Sorry guys.
That's what happens when a thread is linked from a different forum

-b

1 - 20 of 45 Posts