VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (pdxvento)

rip all the switches apart .. the covers pop off .. there's a site for the toughies out there I think though if someone could hook him up

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: how to swith dash lights? (98GTi-VR6)

wait nevermind. i pulled as hard as i could and the thing flew apart. lost 2 springs, but oh well. thanks for the input http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

Yeah .. forgot to tell you .. those suckers come flying out .. lost one on my AC

·
Registered
617 Posts

Problems! Got the bulbs in but the blue one does work and the red one isnt bright enough. It looks like it got burnt and started smoking so we turned it off. Anyone know if their are special bulbs your supposed to use and if you have to use anything else like a resistor or anything? I need to get my friends switch working again. I think the blue bulb is too big. Any idea's?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (PrimalX)

quote:[HR][/HR]Problems! Got the bulbs in but the blue one does work and the red one isnt bright enough. It looks like it got burnt and started smoking so we turned it off. Anyone know if their are special bulbs your supposed to use and if you have to use anything else like a resistor or anything? I need to get my friends switch working again. I think the blue bulb is too big. Any idea's?[HR][/HR]​
You need the right kind of LEDs, I don't know exactly what they are off the top of my head, but you can order red ones from the guy on the site posted a bit further up this thread.
I just finished off my dashlight conversion today, finally got around to finishing the sunroof switch. It used surface mount LEDs, the ones I put in are not as bright, but do the job. Must admit it looks way better with all my switches red than green! Headlight switch was a bitch too, be careful not to pull too hard, as the dimmer can get screwed...

·
Banned
2,641 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (PrimalX)

quote:[HR][/HR]Problems! Got the bulbs in but the blue one does work and the red one isnt bright enough. It looks like it got burnt and started smoking so we turned it off. Anyone know if their are special bulbs your supposed to use and if you have to use anything else like a resistor or anything? I need to get my friends switch working again. I think the blue bulb is too big. Any idea's?[HR][/HR]​
yeah 3.5vdc bulb will burn and smoke...
you need 3mm 12vDC bulbs.. you can use 3.5vDC but them resistors are needed..

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (Lyzic)

ooh ooh so that means you CAN change the color of the headlight switch?!?! wheee! (wow it's late and i've been up since 5am)
i figured it was nearly impossible or something, since potterman's sells the euroswitch with either green or red lights (my dumb logic) i went with the green, then kicked myself cause i want to do red lights. won't do it if i can't do them all.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (ninetyseven)

its tough just because of the location of the bulbs in the switch but yes i "can" be done.
anyway....
almost done with my swap over.

·
Registered
21,570 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (ToughGuy)

how bout buying em from a 2k cabby?? expensive shiz though....
is there any way to just wrap the little led's w/ red film shiz to make em glow red ??

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (4NRYDE)

yes and no, there is but i dont know who does it, the one behind the 3 dials for your heat/air and the velocity and where its going that is a bulb with alittle green condom over it, but its a bulb and not an LED so i would say pay your buck or so for red and two something for blue and do what you like.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: how to swith dash lights? (ToughGuy)

So I need to get resistors to make these ones work...hmmm...okay. Ill head to my electrical supply place today and ask them. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts