VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who is interested, here are the directions from the Bentley (MKIV Golf, Jetta, GTI - pages 28a-13 and 28a-14) to test a VR6 (AFP) coilpack. Someone in another post asked how, but I put it here in its own thread since it would be searchable.

Quote (some references to figures have been omitted):
IGNITION COILS AND POWER OUTPUT STAGE, TESTING (2.8L ENGINE, CODE:AFP)
Double-ended ignition coils are mounted in a common housing together with a power output stage. AFP engines use 3 double-ended coils. The power output stage takes the low power signal from the ECM and boosts it to a level usable by the ignition coils. The signal to fire a spark plug results in both sparks on that particular coil firing at the same time. One spark is "wasted" by the un-used cylinder because it occurs at a time when it is not needed. The other simultaneous spark is used to fire the mixture in a normal manner. The un-used spark causes no additional wear on the spark plug because it occurs at a time when there is minimal heat and pressure on the spark plug. The power output stage cannot be directly tested, but the signal from the ECM along with power and ground can be easily tested as follows.
1. Disable ignition system by disconnecting 5-pin harness connector from ignition coil power output stage.
2. Connect a digital voltmeter to across connector terminals 1 and 5. (My addition: I don't have a scanner so I can't post the figures that go along with the procedure. Holding the connector so that the two indents on the interior of the connector are on the bottom, terminal 1 is on the extreme left and terminal 5 is on the extreme right. Use this for determining the terminal positions for the rest of the procedure).
3. Switch on ignition and read voltage. If voltage is present proceed to next step. If no voltage is present, check for breaks, high resistance or open circuits in the wiring.

Specification:
- Voltage supply - power output stage .......... 11.5 Volts minimum

4. Switch off ignition.
5. Remove fuse 32 (for fuel injectors) from fuse panel.
6. Connect an LED test light (such as VAG 1527B) to the disconnected harness connector at terminals 2 and 5.

Caution:
- Use a high-quality digital automotive multimeter and an LED test light to make the tests. An analog (swing-needle) meter and conventional test light should not be used as they can damage components.
- Always connect and disconnect the ECM connector and meter probes with the ignition off to avoid damage to components.

7. Operate starter and check for a signal from the ECM. LED test light must flicker.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the LED test light in terminals 3 and 5, and 4 and 5.
- If LED test light flickers the signal from ECM is good.
- If test light does not flicker, check for break in wiring. If no faults are found, check ECM for DTCs with a suitable scan tool.

The secondary (high voltage) side of the ignition coil can also be checked with an ohmmeter.
1. Label and disconnect spark plug wires from coil pack.
2. Connect an accurate ohmmeter between terminals 1 and 6 and take reading. Repeat for terminals 3 and 4 and for terminals 2 and 5.

Specification:
- Ignition coil (AFP engine) secondary resistance at 20C (68F) ............ 3600 to 4400 ohms

If no faults are found with the supply voltage, impulse signal, wiring, and resistance at coil, then the ignition coil pack should be replaced.

[Modified by VgRt6, 7:18 PM 4-10-2003]

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to test VR6 coilpack (jaxkewl)

MKIV Golf, Jetta, GTI Bentley - pages 28a-13 and 28a-14.
It's listed at the top of the post.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How to test VR6 coilpack (jaxkewl)

For missing the pages numbers or for spelling moron with two m's? Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

[Modified by VgRt6, 10:59 PM 4-22-2003]

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Re: How to test VR6 coilpack (VgRt6)

back to the futuree!!!
how can I test my AAA coilpack from a mk3? is it the same procedure and same readings? or are there different readings? I get really weak sparkk for some reason, I checked I have 12+ V on connect 1 and 5
and I used a test led and it flashed on 2-5 and 3-5 and 4-5, but still have weak spark, is the coil the problem?
thanks

·
Registered
12,978 Posts

I was testing the coil with different wires and the spark was still weak, I tried to test the tower 1 and 6 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 2 for ohms, and i get around 3500 3600 out, could there be a cut in the coilpack? the coilpack had a lot of cracks previously and most of the cracks have been JB welded, but all the towers have a hairline crack from top to bottom.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: How to test VR6 coilpack (zero666cool)

Does the coilpack check out without the wires?

·
Registered
12,978 Posts

as testing it with a multimeter? and the readings? I believe the readings were all close to what you've mentioned up there and they were all similar. I remember when the car used to drive, the car sometimes would've made a weird noise, you know the kind of noise you hear from a short sort of? but a bit stronger, could that have been from the coil?

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I would check the coilpack (without wires) with the multimeter first, and then check the wires themselves. If the spark is weak with the combo, then I would either try different wires or check that the cracks in the coilpack are not causing a problem. Is there someone local to you with a VR that can lend you a coilpack and wires?

·
Registered
12,978 Posts

is this how I'm suppose to check the coilpack without wires?
1. Label and disconnect spark plug wires from coil pack.
2. Connect an accurate ohmmeter between terminals 1 and 6 and take reading. Repeat for terminals 3 and 4 and for terminals 2 and 5.

Specification:
- Ignition coil (AFP engine) secondary resistance at 20C (68F) ............ 3600 to 4400 ohms
I did test it like that and got those readings that i mentioned above, I tested it without wires,
I don't know anyone who has a VR around my area that would be willing to lend me to coilpack so I can test it. I will look around.
I was thinking, could I have any cut or any short in the wiring that would be causing the weak spark or yet cause it spark sometimes and not spark the other times?

I have hairline cracks on all my towers, from top to bottom, hard to see, but it is a complete crack.
Thanks,

Modified by zero666cool at 9:07 AM 7-1-2006

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You did it correctly. The problem is that the Bentley directions don't tell you how to test everything. You check the signal from the ECU (with the LED) and the resistance of the output coils. Unfortunately, you can't test the circuits between the coilpack input and outputs.
My guess is that there's something wrong inside the coilpack, but I'm hesitant to tell you to spend $300 on a new one. That's why I asked if there was anyone local to you. Have you asked in your regional forum if somone will lend you a coilpack temporarily?

·
Registered
12,978 Posts

my guess is the coilpack too, there must be something wrong inside it, I remember, in the freeway, when I would floor it, around 80mph, the engine would've made a short sound like grrrrr, and car wouldn't go, and recently when the car was cold, I would put a lil bit more gas and the car would've turned off, which I think it is the coilpack, because it would've made that weird sound before turning off.
I'm looking to buy a used coilpack, not going to spend that much on a new one, or I might get one of those after market ones for around 170 180 after making sure it is the coilpack, would a coilpack car from another car work? if it is a 6 cylinder and you make the connector work? or differ coilpacks have differ specifications.
thanks,

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

There are two types of connectors. The VERY early MKIVs (early 99.5)and before have one type and the late 99.5 and later MKIVs have another kind. The later one is more rounded than the early one.
All of the coilpacks are the same. Just make sure you get the right style connector. FYI, all of the "aftermarket" versions (like the one sold at PepBoys) have the warly style connector AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

I was wondering if this could be a symptom of a bad coilpack. I ran a bunch of checks on my car today to find out why it's a little sluggish and rich. I popped some codes I posted on http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4688227. The results I got from the knock sensors really confused me. Here's what I got.
Voltage Cyl.1 2.808V
Voltage Cyl.2 2.808V
Voltage Cyl.3 2.808V
Voltage Cyl.4 1.170V
Voltage Cyl.5 1.053V
Voltage Cyl.6 1.053V
Does this mean my cp is bad or is it something else?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts