VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (Bugs)

Quote, originally posted by Bugs »
no, safety/etest is required at final point. To be put on road (after in canada, with form2 in hand).

Safety inspection and emissions testing are provincial requirements related to licensing the vehicle for road use. They are not required for the federal importation process.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (chuckDD)

Quote, originally posted by chuckDD »

Safety inspection and emissions testing are provincial requirements related to licensing the vehicle for road use. They are not required for the federal importation process.

you are correct. But if you want to actually drive the vehicle, you need to do it. (depending on province)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I still have my 97 Jetta, but just to let you guys know, I bought a new Subaru Tribeca back from Rochester, NY back in November. Very easy process, but does take a bit of planning in advance. I saved around 17K versus buying from a Canadian dealership.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: (huskylord)

Quote, originally posted by huskylord »
I still have my 97 Jetta, but just to let you guys know, I bought a new Subaru Tribeca back from Rochester, NY back in November. Very easy process, but does take a bit of planning in advance. I saved around 17K versus buying from a Canadian dealership.

Well done, sir. There are definitely big savings to be had on Subarus. My neighbour picked up a Tribeca from Pennsylvania just before Christmas.

·
Registered
2019 Arteon R-Line
2,108 Posts

What's the differences making a private purchase (from an individual)?
And we pretty much assume that the vehicle is purchased out-right... a Canuck couldn't possibly get a VW Credit loan on a US purchased vehicle (or any other)?!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (alphazero)

Quote, originally posted by alphazero »
What's the differences making a private purchase (from an individual)?
And we pretty much assume that the vehicle is purchased out-right... a Canuck couldn't possibly get a VW Credit loan on a US purchased vehicle (or any other)?!

All the info for a private purchase should be above, try re-reading the post.

Question: has anybody imported a 'kit car' with a 'self-assebled' title?

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Bugs »

you are correct. But if you want to actually drive the vehicle, you need to do it. (depending on province)

I will be crossing the border in November. i plan on putting my car in storage as soon as i get in country. Do i still have to get it e-tested? or even saftey for that matter?

·
Banned
1,312 Posts

I know someone who has come from south africa a few years ago and brought his mk2 race car with him. The car was stored in a container with his belonging packed in and around the car so no one had seen or even asked if he had a car.
He would like to get it on the road and he cannot because he does not have the proper documentation
. They want to crush it!
What can he do? What papers to file?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (20thNo1967)

Quote, originally posted by 20thNo1967 »

I will be crossing the border in November. i plan on putting my car in storage as soon as i get in country. Do i still have to get it e-tested? or even saftey for that matter?

No. You can satisfy all the federal importation requirements without having to deal with the e-test, safety inspection, etc.. You'll clear those hurdles when/if you want to register the car for road use. Make a point of calling your insurance company to verify you have coverage for unlicensed vehicles in storage.

·
Registered
518 Posts

No. You can satisfy all the federal importation requirements without having to deal with the e-test, safety inspection, etc.. You'll clear those hurdles when/if you want to register the car for road use. Make a point of calling your insurance company to verify you have coverage for unlicensed vehicles in storage.

Do you have to have insurance on a stored vehicle in ontario?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (20thNo1967)

Quote, originally posted by 20thNo1967 »

Do you have to have insurance on a stored vehicle in ontario?

I don't believe there's a legal requirement for that. If it were me, I wouldn't go without. My concern isn't the vehicle but the liability side of it.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,489 Posts

September 2007, US Customs at Champlain/Lacolle asked me to get the original title, no fax when I imported my 1981 Scirocco.

If your car is 15 years or older, the process is simpler. No recall letter, and a few other details.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (Mtl-Marc)

Quote, originally posted by Mtl-Marc »
September 2007, US Customs at Champlain/Lacolle asked me to get the original title, no fax when I imported my 1981 Scirocco.

I had the same experience with US Customs at Ogdensburg, NY: they wanted the original title plus 2 copies. Always call the Customs office you'll be passing through well ahead of time and verify their requirements.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts

Does anyone know of a border thats open on the weekends cloes to Buffalo?
Im assuming peace/queenston is only monday-friday 8-4?
What about fort Erie?
I really dont feel like driving from buffalo to kingston or Port Huron Sarnia
Suggestions?
How long does it take to get a Recall letter?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: Importing a car from USA - HOWTO (Zuber Speed)

Quote, originally posted by Zuber Speed »
How long does it take to get a Recall letter?

What kind of vehicle? Check with RIV, but a print-out from a dealer on dealer letterhead stating "no open recalls" may suffice.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts

What kind of vehicle? Check with RIV, but a print-out from a dealer on dealer letterhead stating "no open recalls" may suffice.

VW
They said, could take up to 7 business days, but doesnt usually take that long
I need one by next weekend. If i dont have one by wednesday, then I'll call around at dealers.
The guy already told me there are no open recalls on the car, i dont see what takes so damn long

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

VW
They said, could take up to 7 business days, but doesnt usually take that long
I need one by next weekend. If i dont have one by wednesday, then I'll call around at dealers.
The guy already told me there are no open recalls on the car, i dont see what takes so damn long

Are you buying privately? Ask the seller to stop by a US dealer and ask for the print out. They might charge him $20 or some token amount, but it's quicker than waiting on the letter from VW Canada.
From http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html :
Quote »

A recall clearance letter is a document issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of your vehicle that states whether or not there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle. If you are not sure of what a recall is, simply put, it is a safety defect on your vehicle as a result of the original manufacturing process. The OEM is responsible for notifying the last known owner, and fixing the problem normally at their expense. It's best to obtain this information before you import the vehicle to avoid any unnecessary delays.
The letter must come from the OEM's head office and be written on official company letterhead, duly signed with the name and position of the official at the OEM clearly visible. If the manufacturer's logo is not on the letter it will not be accepted.
In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question
If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.
If your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls then the letter should say "this vehicle has no outstanding recalls." This letter must be presented to the RIV department prior to your Vehicle Inspection Form being released.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts

Are you buying privately? Ask the seller to stop by a US dealer and ask for the print out. They might charge him $20 or some token amount, but it's quicker than waiting on the letter from VW Canada.
From http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html :

Awesome!
My biggest problem is getting the car home on the weekend. Looks im going to have to make the trek from meeting this guy in Buffalo, driving to port-huron, then back home
so, because queenston is closed on the weekends, what would have been a one hour drive there and then back...is now, one hour there....9 hours back
any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

Awesome!
My biggest problem is getting the car home on the weekend. Looks im going to have to make the trek from meeting this guy in Buffalo, driving to port-huron, then back home
so, because queenston is closed on the weekends, what would have been a one hour drive there and then back...is now, one hour there....9 hours back
any suggestions?

Get a cheap hotel in Buffalo on Sunday night, cross over back to Canada 1st thing Monday morning?
I had the same problem when I brought my 330i back from Connecticut. I ended up staying over in Ogdensburg, NY and hitting the customs office when it opened in the morning.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts