VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Given the taxes in ontario have been 'combined' ... does that impact the import taxes?

I do not think it does - but looking for input from someone who has completed this recently ... is it still just the GST to import into Ontario?

Thank you,
Yes, you have to pay both taxes.:thumbdown:

Gst-> when crossing the border.
Hst-> at your local licensing office.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Seems like the process has been modified / simplified in Lewiston / Barfalo...

Here is what I went through on Feb 25th, 2011 for a 1981 VW Camper (Towed over the border)

Details needed in Advance
....Title
....BOS
....Insurance
....Emailed [email protected] 3 days in advance - VIN, Make, Model, Year, my Name etc
....Confirmation email recieved from border indicating I can cross anytime after 72 hours
....No faxing or photo copies needed

US Side
....Cargo and Frieght Office is normal sized red door, in customs warehouse on US side
.........this is on the left before the bridge, basically on the OTHER side of the road when returning to Canada
....Showed title and passport (but directions in e-mail below indicated they may want more)
....Officer checked my VIN - sent me to Canada - no paperwork but a stamp on my title
.... 5 minutes tops

Canada Side
....Heavily questioned by initial screener
....5 minutes of questions
....Given Yellow card indicating I owe duties on price of Van
....Proceed to Secondary Inspection Site ... just follow signs
....Fill out form 1 ... show title, BOS
....Questioned again (see below)
....Pay 6% duty and 5% GST
........no RIV as it is old
........no A/C tax as no one could prove it had A/C ... just a blue and red dot on the dash :)
....20 minutes total in office
....Drive to Canada paying $6.50 in tolls

Points to Note:
....was asked by many officers for a copy of the ORIGINAL AD listing the vehicle, asking price etc
....this is likely to keep people honest on the 'sale price' they show on the forms
....officer checked the Samba for about 15 minutes trying to find the add
....asked sellers name, state, asking price MANY times
....after not finding the ad - they just said 'looks like you got a good price'
....moral of the story, be VERY careful if you are planning to declare a lower price than you paid

e-mail below is the instructions from the buffalo border patrol after I e-mailed them my VIN etc

--------
From CBPO RHODES

This e-mail response serves as your confirmation that CBP has received your vehicle export information. You may export the vehicle 72 hours from receipt of this e-mail during regular business hours.

Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all U.S. federal holidays.

The Lewiston Bridge is the only place to export a vehicle in Western New York.

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.

Things required at time of vehicle export:

1. The vehicle which is to be exported.

2. Original title. Vehicles that have no title, (ex: snowmobiles, ATV’s, backhoes, forklifts, etc) must present a registration and/or bill of sale. Registration and/or bill of sale serves as your ownership (title). This requirement varies from state to state. It is your responsibility to determine what that state’s ownership requirements are.

3. WHTI compliant identification for yourself and all parties with you. Please refer to the following website for information on WHTI compliant identification: http://www.getyouhome.gov/

4. Lien release if a lien is present on the vehicle. Note: This can be done by having the finance company sign off on the original title itself (along with the finance company’s stamp) or an original letter from the finance company indicating that the lien is released. For those vehicles that are still being financed, you may present a certified copy of the title, along with an original letter from the finance company that states that the vehicle can be exported.

5. This printed, e-mail confirmation including your original message to CBP.

Additional information can be obtained via the Vehicle Export information line (716)843-8359.

All questions must be directed to [email protected].

Thank you,

Vehicle Export Office
Field Operations
US Customs and Border Protection
1 Lewiston Plaza
Lewiston, NY 14092
Phone: (716) 282-1500 option 3 (emergencies only)
Phone: (716) 843-8359 (information line only)
Fax: (716) 285-3565
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
sounds like older cars are easier then newer cars.... riv says that if the car is 15 years or older it is exempt but you still need the stamps on both forums correct?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The stamps on both 'forms' ... yes, but it's the process & details to get those stamps you need to be clear on.

It's not hard but you need to do your homework and arrive prepared. Customs people have no sense of humor, nor do they care. They can be friendly, but you can't just show up and hope things work out well ...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I am thinking of importing a VW Doka from the US. It was originally a Canadian vehicle and it is older than 15 years old (1985).

My questions are regarding modifications. The truck has aftermarket tube steel bumpers and a different engine than it came with stock. Will this cause me any problems at the border?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would appreciate any knowledge on how to go about finding a 3rd party to go check the car for me in Georgia, US.

·
Registered
79 Posts
nvm wegolook.com - seems pretty reputable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit of a vague question, I know... but...

Are most savings from buying in the US found in new car purchases or used as well? Is there much to be saved on a slightly older car (say 2-4 year old Golf GTI)? Or is this mostly beneficial for high-end purchases?

·
Registered
133 Posts
the US economy is, generally speaking, in the tank ... so new or used a good deal should be easier to find. only place you will not likley find a good deal is on a domestic

different reasons for new to be cheaper vs. used to be cheaper (both vs. Canada), but cheaper all the same

happy hunting

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think I am in a similar situation to Lowazzgolf, being a US citizen.

I am living/working in Toronto on a visa. I finally sold my car that was just a pain to import(long story) and I am looking to buy something else.

Am I exempt from the taxes if I buy in the states? I will be financing, if that means anything. I am not trying to beat the system, but if I am able to get a car for 3-4k less, why not check?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I am in a similar situation to Lowazzgolf, being a US citizen.

I am living/working in Toronto on a visa. I finally sold my car that was just a pain to import(long story) and I am looking to buy something else.

Am I exempt from the taxes if I buy in the states? I will be financing, if that means anything. I am not trying to beat the system, but if I am able to get a car for 3-4k less, why not check?

If you are on a work permit in Canada you will not have to pay taxes on that vehicle or switch plates to be Canadian. Since you are consider a temporary resident which means that at the end of the permit you will be going back.

So yes, it would make sense for you to buy the vehicle in the USA.

If you guys have any other questions you can write them up here or pm me. i will try to help you out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am thinking of importing a VW Doka from the US. It was originally a Canadian vehicle and it is older than 15 years old (1985).

My questions are regarding modifications. The truck has aftermarket tube steel bumpers and a different engine than it came with stock. Will this cause me any problems at the border?
If it is a Canadian vehicle returning you will not have to pay taxes or riv fee (riv still has to be completed). i wouldn't worry about the modifications at the border but i don't know if that's something Canadian tire would be anal about.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Canada customs doesn't care about mods. The vehicle is considered a classic... LMK if you need any help..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Do most drive the car back once picked up in the states? If so how do you go about plating the vehicle. Are you able to get a temp permit/sticker from the mto?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do most drive the car back once picked up in the states? If so how do you go about plating the vehicle. Are you able to get a temp permit/sticker from the mto?
MTO will not issue temp permits or stickers for vehicles from the USA. Canadians cannot legally operate an American plated vehicle, rentals exempt, in Canada with a Canadian license. Towing is the way I always have imported vehicles from the USA. And I live in a border city.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Customs Problems with MODS?

Will I get problems if I am importing a custom vehicle from USA to Canada? Some possible mods ; airride suspension, body kit, custom interior, flashy rims... Is there a possibility of getting turned back at the boarder? I really want to purchase an american car but unfortunately I am scared modded vehicles will get a hard time at the boarded.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I have a question, I purchased a car from a guy, who has had the car 10 years, has all the bill of sales from bringing it across the border etc.. original bill of sale from the previous owner, but he never put it in his name.. how bad is this going to Eff me?

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you are on a work permit in Canada you will not have to pay taxes on that vehicle or switch plates to be Canadian. Since you are consider a temporary resident which means that at the end of the permit you will be going back.

So yes, it would make sense for you to buy the vehicle in the USA.

If you guys have any other questions you can write them up here or pm me. i will try to help you out.
Finally got a car haha. I ended up getting taxed upon registration as the title was just signed over to me. I guess one of 2 things just happened, either this car was just legitimately imported into Canada, or I was taken for a ride. At least at this point, I am pretty sure that we won't have to "import" it again when we become naturalized. Worst part is that they gave me **** at the border for paying too much because their red book lists the 2004 GLI as the VR6 model only, so if you are buying a 2004 GLI, downplay the price as much as possible.

·
Registered
17,914 Posts
MTO will not issue temp permits or stickers for vehicles from the USA. Canadians cannot legally operate an American plated vehicle, rentals exempt, in Canada with a Canadian license. Towing is the way I always have imported vehicles from the USA. And I live in a border city.
I find this one interesting. Seeing as I drove my 78 Rabbit back from Springfield Missouri, on a Missouri temp plate (which they gave me no questions asked, for the tidy sum of $13.00). It was good for 30 days, and I drove around on it in Toronto for a week or so. Zero issues with the cops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My question deals with the title and bill of sale that have to be sent in 72 hours prior to crossing. I found a car I want and am planning to fly down and drive it back on the same day or the next. How do I get the title and bill of sale before getting there? If I buy sight unseen, don't I still have to go to the DMV to get the title in my name and then fax it and have to wait 3 days before crossing the border? My original plan was to send him a deposit, go down and pay him the full amount when I actually see it, get the title and then drive back. Again, the problem is the 72 hours, am I missing something? Can the fax be the title in his name until I cross with it in mine? Thanks for the help.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts