VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
My question deals with the title and bill of sale that have to be sent in 72 hours prior to crossing. I found a car I want and am planning to fly down and drive it back on the same day or the next. How do I get the title and bill of sale before getting there? If I buy sight unseen, don't I still have to go to the DMV to get the title in my name and then fax it and have to wait 3 days before crossing the border? My original plan was to send him a deposit, go down and pay him the full amount when I actually see it, get the title and then drive back. Again, the problem is the 72 hours, am I missing something? Can the fax be the title in his name until I cross with it in mine? Thanks for the help.
You can email the vin # (only, no title number) to the customs border patrol office. They will send you an email reply confirming it's ready for export (from the US). If you don't end up buying the car, no real concequence, if you end up buying it you should be cleared to drive it home.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I u-hauled mine, it was easier because the border had my documents so I didn't have them to get a trip permit

If anyone has questions feel free to pm me I just imported in June :)

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
For a car that has been modded.. would the Canadian Tire RIV inspection notice the fact that the car has a turbo back without cats? KPH cluster and drl's are fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
For a car that has been modded.. would the Canadian Tire RIV inspection notice the fact that the car has a turbo back without cats? KPH cluster and drl's are fine.

Thanks
I think this is the problem that I would have run into with my original car in Canada. It had a catless DP, and I think they would have failed it immediately regardless of emissions tests.

Worst case is that you bring the car into Canada, fail the test, then get it fixed ASAP. On the other hand, something heavily modded may have more failable offences than lack of cats.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
For those looking to import cars from the US, the rules have changed. The US now requires an electronic filing of the export data, called EEI (Electronic Export Info) in AES (Automated Export System). This needs to be obtained before you submit all the vehicle information to the US port of export, as it is one of the submission requirements.

You cannot file this yourself, you will need a customs broker.

Apparently this has been introduced in April 2014, there was a 6 month period that still allowed you to file in the info the old way in parallel to the new method, but that has expired.

I have just gone through this process so IM me with any questions.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Who has experience with this new AES system, seems like a total cash grab, I have to pay a broker to tell the border I am coming?

I guess I have to pay the broker after buying the car, so no fast way across the border?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I spoke with my broker last week regarding bringing anoter car (my rocco was imported from NY in 2007) ans she confirmed it is a total $ grab, and that is is getting almost impossible / not worth it to bring in low value cars... unless you get them for parts.

This is a true bummer, it was sooooo easy back in 2007.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It wasn't so bad, I had to pay the broker $75 to let the border know I was coming. The thing that sucks is you are relying on a 3rd party to relay very vital information. Luckily my border crossing went smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
for anyone who has done this new procedure, could you inbox me the changes that need to be made to the original post? I'll update it to keep folks from missing this new key info.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I plan to import a vehicle soon from the US.

So far here's my to do list:
Ownership/ Title
Bill of Sale
ITN/AES Number + Faxing necessary documents to border that I am crossing at.
Applicable taxes I need to pay
Flight to where I plan on picking up the car.

It's a 15 year old car so I dont have to go through RIV which makes the process much simpler, the bad thing is that our dollar sucks compared to the US.

I do have one question, is the Blue Water Bridge border inspection 24/7 or is it just the crossing 24/7 I'm having a hard time clarifying this and no one at the border is answering unfortunately. I rather do this on a week rather than a week day.

Please help clarifying this. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
does anybody do this for a cost?
I might be able to assist, I am importing one now. One of my long haul car carriers is bringing the car into Canada for me.

My customs broker is handling the import clearance / AES / 72hr notice etc.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and my company can bill for these services.

Bret

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a question about registering/plating a car once it's brought over.

Assuming I have a valid insurance policy on the car, and after I finished the export from USA and import into Canada, and I get home with my 28 year old car, am I able to drive it over to the shop to get it safetied with the old out of provide plates on it? or am I able to register it and get some sort of temp plate/permit in Ontario?

From what I understand, I need to have a safety cert before I'm able to get it plated.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
I had a question about registering/plating a car once it's brought over.

Assuming I have a valid insurance policy on the car, and after I finished the export from USA and import into Canada, and I get home with my 28 year old car, am I able to drive it over to the shop to get it safetied with the old out of provide plates on it? or am I able to register it and get some sort of temp plate/permit in Ontario?

From what I understand, I need to have a safety cert before I'm able to get it plated.

Thanks guys
I just did this with my R32 in mid March 2018. I had to pay a RIV fee though since it’s under 15 yrs old...
Once you import the car you have 45 days to get safety, so the process is in motion.
Then you get plates.
If you don’t get it inspected by the deadline you’ll have to export it back to the US.

You can still drive it in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just did this with my R32 in mid March 2018. I had to pay a RIV fee though since it’s under 15 yrs old...
Once you import the car you have 45 days to get safety, so the process is in motion.
Then you get plates.
If you don’t get it inspected by the deadline you’ll have to export it back to the US.

You can still drive it in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks for the info!

So I'll just drive it to the mechanic with the American plates on it then.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts