VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten a bunch of requests on a write up of how to do this:

i am not the 1st person to do this, i got the idea from landrumdh
this is a cheap alternative to getting one of the expensive aftermarket "homelink" type systems.

I have a liftmaster garage door opener with 3 buttons on the outside. the circuit board is very small and just the right size to fit in the hole when you take out one of your switch blanks. This may vary upon what make and model garage door opener you have.
the CB (circuit board) inside the opener looks like this:

it is very easy to take apart, you just pop the 2 plastic halves apart and there it is.
you can see the button that is pressed to actually open and close the door. it is marked on the CB by "S3" the other buttons are for turning the light on and off and are really not features i use on my remote. you COULD if you wanted to, hook a button to each one.
i got a momentary pushbutton from Radio Shack for a couple dollars. That looks like this:

it mounts in a 1/2" hole.
then i took 2 pieces of wire about 4" in length and soldered them to the back of the CB where the button is mounted on the CB. you can test the button by just holding the bare ends of the wire to the back of the CB and seeing if it opens/closes the door.
here is a pic of the back you can see the 4 points that the button is mounted to the CB, you only need to hook the wires to 2 of them:

i took out the blank switch bezel and took a 3/4" bit and drilled a hole in the center of it. the button is supposed to mount in a 1/2" hole, but i did not have a 1/2" bit so i had to file out the hole some until the button fit right in. with the button mounted in the blank switch bezel i then soldered the other end of the wire to the two little metal prongs on the radio shack switch. and i ended up with this:

then i put the CB in the hole in the dash and snapped the bezel back in.
DONE! this is a pretty easy thing to do.. i would ultimately like to have the button on the dash backlit red like all the other buttons, but i have no idea how to really go about that.

Modified by turborave at 1:57 PM 10-1-2003

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to: Turn your garage door opener into a dash-mounted button (pooz01wolfsburg)

you can pry them out with your fingers.. they come right out.. or, use a plastic knife or something that will not marr the finish around the vents and pry it out.. they come out very easily.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Re: How to: Turn your garage door opener into a dash-mounted button (turborave)

Sounds pretty simple
Now I just need to get ahold of a soldering tool and a dremel/drill
cause I have neither. Hmmmmm...another cool lil mod put on hold to go along with:
Rear wiper removal/IC mister
Rear fog install

·
Registered
785 Posts

Looks cool, I am considering doing this... Any chance you can take a couple shots with MACRO mode on your camera (the little flower)? It will put everything in focus.... I would love to see some more detail http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good job on the writeup!

·
Registered
417 Posts

Thanks. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I appreciate when people spend time doing write-ups to help other people. Thats what Voertex is all about.
Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Re: How to: Turn your garage door opener into a dash-mounted button (santos.)

sweet!!! if you wanna make the switch light up with the dash, ultimately you'd just have to find a switch that lights up. I haven't really seen any small enough to work but.. again http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
317 Posts

there's also a company someone posted on here somewhere called mikado technology co. that has a direct replacement button. just some food for thought.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: How to: Turn your garage door opener into a dash-mounted button (uberspeed)

Quote, originally posted by uberspeed »
there's also a company someone posted on here somewhere called mikado technology co. that has a direct replacement button. just some food for thought.

those are like $80... this is like $3 if you have the tools (soldering iron and drill)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: (BORA24VGLI)

cool idea! I will research a way to do a red button. The trick will be finding a lead that is switched with the rest of the lighting.. the red switch should be easy to find. I'll post up when i get it done.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Re: (FLdude)

I did the same mod (based on landrumdh's original post), except that I added a blue LED next to the button that lights up when you push the button. The color of the LED matches the dash lights very well. I'll try and take a pic of it and post it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.