VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as long as I get my car back, this weekend should be the first weekend I run at the track. First with APR Stage III that is. I want to use the 104 race gas program (I mean I paid for it, lol). But have no clue how to drain the gas that will be in the car. The track is about 40 miles away, so I need to have at least some 93octane in there. So I know I will need 2 Gas Jugs, going to get good ones that dont leak (any recomendations?). One gas to hold the race gas, the other to drain the 93 that is in the car. What else will I need, and exactlly how do I do it?

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
To empty your fuel tank:
There are 2 stainless steel lines coming out of you fuel rail, connected to a black hose.
The bottom one in.(>
Top one out (<
If you look closely you will see a small arrow on the SS lines pointing in/out.
Take off the top hose, by compressing the clamp and sliding it back, then pull the hose back.
Get about 4' length hose 5/16" or 1/4" I.D.
Slide one end over the SS line, and the other end in a gas container.
Start the car, and the fuel will start flowing until the tank is empty.
It takes 5 minutes max to do so.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Re: ( 18bora)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif That's the best way there. Just make sure you have enough to get to where ever you fill up with 104. I'd carry a 5 gallon tank with you and when you get to the 104 station, drain the rest all the way out. Other then that learn how to manage you milage such that when friday rolls around, you have just enough to get to work and to the 104 pump.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: How to "use" race gas (as in take out current gas). (Barcad)

Yeah those guys got it right... that is what most of us here in Cleveland so to run the 104 profiles on our Stg3 cars.... one thing to also consider is that here we can buy 5gal cans of 104... two cans of that, with the rest of the tank 93-94 oct gas is 100+ average... since Stg3 has 100 and 104 profiles, you could run the 100 profile on a full tank of gas... this is good for a weekend of fun...
Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 AWD New Beetle, 2013 Audi S5
649 Posts
Re: (Bug_Power)

Quote, originally posted by Bug_Power »
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif That's the best way there. Just make sure you have enough to get to where ever you fill up with 104. I'd carry a 5 gallon tank with you and when you get to the 104 station, drain the rest all the way out. Other then that learn how to manage you milage such that when friday rolls around, you have just enough to get to work and to the 104 pump.

And for the houston folks, a very spirited drive around 610... one lap = 1/8th a tank of gas.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Re: How to "use" race gas (as in take out current gas). (Barcad)

why don't you ride around for a while and burn all but a gallon or so out of your tank and then fill up on 104 before you go to the track... then you can ride to the track on 104 and get the car to adapt to the race program properly which will net your better times and mph.... the car won't automatically adapt to the new programming/gas right away ... plus you will love the added power on the way down... much fun..
just my 02 cents

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: How to "use" race gas (NJWolf18T)

Hmm that is a good point. But should I drain the gas out (like said above) say at home before I leave for the track, and then put the 104 in. If I put 104 in, with some 93 left wouldnt it decreese the octane rating? I dont want to run the 104program with say 100octane (or somthing like that).

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Re: How to "use" race gas (Barcad)

someone with some experience on octane levels should respond but i would think that if you put in 12 gallons of race gas 104 in with one gallon of 93 it shouldn't drop the rating that far...
keep in mind that when your gas light comes on you have approximately 1.8 gallons of gas left in the tank so you could probably drive conservatively another 20-30 miles and then fill it with race gas after the light came on...at least that's what my manual says about the amount of gas left when the light comes on.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Re: How to "use" race gas (NJWolf18T)

Quote, originally posted by NJWolf18T »

keep in mind that when your gas light comes on you have approximately 1.8 gallons of gas left in the tank so you could probably drive conservatively another 20-30 miles and then fill it with race gas after the light came on...at least that's what my manual says about the amount of gas left when the light comes on.

Just to find out how many miles I can get out of it after the light comes on, I kept 2 gallons of gas in my trunk.
Drove 50 mile (Normally) after the light came on.
Ran out of gas on RT 206 by the constructions area, 100 yards away before it turns to 1 lane and no shoulders, got passed by 20 dubs, no on stopped.
Put the 2 gallons from the trunk into the gas tank.
......... car won't start.
Fault code in the ecu.
With APR FCE option, just erase the fault.
If not you will have to disconnect you battery for 3-5 minutes.
Then the car will start.
Just change to 104 at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.